metro
Obasa in fresh plot to return as speaker of Lagos Assembly
Obasa in fresh plot to return as speaker of Lagos Assembly
An indication that peace has not returned to the Lagos State House of Assembly emerged at the close of work last week when workers in the legislative house were told by the authority to stay away from the office this week and work from home until further notice.
There are reports about fresh moves to return Mr Mudashiru Obasa to his former position, Speaker of the Assembly.
The House has been enmeshed in a leadership crisis following the removal of Obasa by 32 lawmakers on January 13, 2025, and Mrs Mojisola Meranda was elected as the substantive speaker.
A report by the Vanguard on Monday quoted Presidency sources as saying overtures had been made to the lawmakers to soft-pedal and support the embattled former Speaker.
It reported that members of the Governance Advisory Council (GAC) were also asked to rein in the anti-Obasa lawmakers.
This followed the disbandment of the Bisi Akande committee over its findings on the matter.
The committee was disbanded owing to the report it submitted after its visit that the odds were against Obasa.
The President had set up a high-powered committee of the party led by Bisi Akande and members including Aremo Olusegun Osoba, and former APC National Vice Chairman, South-west, Pius Akinyelure and others to resolve the crisis.
It further gathered that after the disbandment of the Akande committee, members of GAC were asked to rein in their loyalists in the Assembly and executive to back Obasa.
READ ALSO:
- Fubara obeys S’Court, moves to conduct fresh LG poll in Rivers
- Senate can’t probe Natasha’s allegations against Akpabio — Senate President’s aide
- Kebbi Gov aide suspended for bringing snake to Govt House
The source said: “The Bisi Akande committee has been disbanded. The president has reached out to members of GAC who have loyalists or children in the Assembly to insist they work for Obasa’s return as Speaker.
“Obasa, on the other hand, has also been reaching out to lawmaker opposed to him in an attempt to gain their support.”
It was also learnt that the Presidency and party leaders were looking at the option of allowing the court to resolve the crisis.
Sources in the presidency said: “The President is insisting Obasa must return but the Assembly members are also throwing their weight behind Meranda. The two camps do not want to shift grounds. As it is, the court will decide who the Speaker is and you know how judicial process works, it will move from the High Court to Appeal Court and from there, to the Supreme Court; the court will decide.”
The embattled former Speaker had dragged Meranda, the Assembly and 36 lawmakers to court challenging his ‘unlawful’ removal.
Justice Yetunde Rukayat Pinheiro of the Lagos State High Court, Ikeja, last Friday, adjourned the hearing of all pending applications in the lawsuit filed by Obasa, to March 7.
READ ALSO:
- Electricity: NLC threatens mass protest over forceful migration to Band A
- Obasanjo hosts Jonathan, Atiku, Ooni, Saraki to dinner in Lagos
- Fulham beat FA Cup holders Man United on penalties
In a memo, titled ‘Amendment to Remote Work Schedule Arrangement’, addressed to staff and legislative aides, the Acting Clerk of the Assembly, Mr Babatunde Abubakar, said the move was to “guarantee safety and forestall any unwarranted consequences.”
Abubakar said: “I write to convey the approval of the leadership of the House to effect the following changes in the work-from-home arrangement pending the resolution of the current leadership crisis to guarantee safety and forestall any unwarranted consequences.
“To this end, all categories of staff at the Assembly, LAHASCOM and Legislative Aides are requested to work remotely from home until further notice.
“Please note that this arrangement is in tandem with the Head of Service, HOS circular 005 issued on January 15, 2025, affirming the leadership change in the House and the appointment of Mr A.T.B. Ottun as Acting Clerk.
“Note that this measure has become necessary for safety purposes and officers are enjoined to leave open communication lines as they can be called upon for any assignment whenever the need arises.
“Be assured that Princess Mojisola Meranda is committed to your safety and peaceful resolution of the crisis.”
The staff of the Lagos State Assembly had engaged men of the Department of State Services, DSS, when the latter stormed the Assembly complex, sealing offices and preventing lawmakers from holding the plenary session.
Obasa in fresh plot to return as speaker of Lagos Assembly
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics2 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
metro1 day agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Atiku’s suit seeking Tinubu’s disqualification meets deadline, faces procedural hurdle
