•Says God willing, Nigeria will remain one
Trump sues CNN for defamation, demands $475m damages
Former US president Donald Trump has sued the CNN for defamation, seeking $475 million in punitive damages for labelling him as ‘racist,’ ‘Russian lackey,’ ‘insurrectionist,’ and ‘Hitler’.
Trump claims the news network had carried out a “campaign of libel and slander” against him.
In the lawsuit filed in US District Court in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Trump says that the network had used its influence as a leading news organisation to defeat him politically.
Trump, a Republican, claims in the 29-page lawsuit that CNN had a long track record of criticising him but had ramped up its attacks in recent months because the network feared that he would run again for president in 2024.
“As a part of its concerted effort to tilt the political balance to the left, CNN has tried to taint the Plaintiff with a series of ever-more scandalous, false, and defamatory labels, the lawsuit claims.
The lawsuit lists several instances in which CNN appeared to compare Trump to Hitler, including a January 2022 special report by host Fareed Zakaria that included footage of the German dictator.
Trump, who in 2020 lost a re-election bid to Democrat Joe Biden, has not said whether he would seek re-election.
2022 National Honours list in circulation doctored, says FG
The Federal Government has disowned the list of nominees for the 2022 National Honours that has been trending on some social and traditional media platforms.
Spokesperson for the Federal Ministry of Special Duties and Intergovernmental Affairs, Julie Osagie-Jacobs, on Monday, said the list had been doctored by mischievous persons to cause national disharmony.
She said that the authentic list had been compiled by the ministry for the National Honours but yet to be made public.
Controversy and wide condemnation by opinion leaders and public analysts had greeted the inclusion of certain names and omission of some found to have excelled in their callings over the years.
Osagie-Jacobs said, “The attention of the Federal Ministry of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs has been drawn to a purported list of nominees for National Honours being circulated by some online media organisations.
“While it is true that President Muhammadu Buhari will be conferring National Honours on deserving Nigerians and friends of Nigeria on October 11, 2022, the authentic list of nominees is yet to be released to the public. The Federal Ministry of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs will publish the list at the appropriate time and medium.
“Members of the public are hereby enjoined to discountenance the list in circulation as it is an attempt by overzealous reporters whose aim is to break news even when such news is fake.”
ASUU strike: Adamu doesn’t deserve national honour – NANS
The National Association of Nigerian Students has kicked against the move by President Muhammadu Buhari to confer National Honours Award on the Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu.
Adamu’s name is among notable individuals Buhari listed to be honoured on October 11.
Reacting in a statement by its National Public Relations Officer, Giwa Temitope, on Monday, NANS said it was an insult to the collective intelligence of Nigerian students who had been locked out of schools for close to eight months due to the ongoing strike action of the Academic Staff Union of Universities which Adamu had failed to resolve.
“It constitutes an insult to the collective intelligence of Nigerian students both home and in the diaspora that the Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, under whose nose university students have been home for close to eight months is to be awarded the National Honours of Commander of the Order of Niger.
“This act of the Buhari’s administration is a clear pointer to the fact that Nigerian students have been taken for a ride. And, we see this as the final straw that breaks the back of the camel of Buhari’s much touted integrity.
- Father, daughters, relation die after ‘amala’ meal in Kogi
- Building collapse claims one as flood displaces 651,053 in Anambra communities
- Stop wooing Wike, Rivers APC tells Tinubu, govs
“Over the years, successive administrations in the country have shown to the Nigerian people that the National Honours is more of recognition of patronage than recognition of excellence. But Buhari has taken a step further to show the mass of Nigerian students that we are not on the priority list of the administration.
“It is so unfortunate that a country which offered so much in hope and possibilities at independence has today become a land of suffering, insecurity and near hopelessness signposted by youth unemployment and underfunded educational sector,” the statement partly read.
NANS said that, in a functioning country, both the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, who “shamefully walked out” of a meeting with the national leadership of ASUU at the instance of the House of Representatives, and his Education counterpart would have been fired before now. “But, the reverse is the case as Adamu under whose watch the educational sector of the country has totally collapsed is to be recognised with a National Honour for a job ‘well-done’, it added.
“As an association, we reiterate that we pass a vote of no confidence in both Adamu and Ngige. And, we maintain that we shall be back to the streets in protest against the recklessness of this administration until the Federal Government settles every issue with ASUU for Nigerian students to return to classes,” it concluded.
ASUU has been on strike since February 14, 2022. ASUU, which is the umbrella for university lecturers in Nigeria, is asking for improved welfare conditions for its members, adequate funding for universities, and the replacement of the government-introduced payment platform- Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System, with the University Transparency and Accountability Solution. UTAS was designed by ASUU following complaints against the IPPIS over alleged poor standardisation and incompatibility with the university system.
GM raises production of electric vehicles, repositions Chevrolet Bolt
Maserati GranTurismo returns, this time with electric folgore model
Toyota ending FJ Cruiser production, reveals special Final Edition
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
Wizkid trends, releases new single ‘Bad To Me’
American preacher, Creflo Dollar confesses he misled congregants, says tithing not biblical + Video
[UPDATED]Conflicting Reports Over Viral Video Of Soldiers Evacuating ‘Bandits’ In Kaduna + Video
metro1 week ago
How we collected N160m ransom from 2 bankers –Bayelsa kidnap kingpins
Politics5 days ago
APC Plunges Into Major Crisis As Adamu Bombs Tinubu In a Leaked Letter
metro5 days ago
US-Based Nigerian, Dele Ologbosere, ‘Defrauds’ Lagos Car Dealer of $750
metro21 hours ago
Updated: NDLEA arrests Autonation Motors chairman, recovers N8bn Tramadol, two SUVs
Auto1 week ago
Lagos holds car-free day, residents to go cycling, walking Sunday
Politics1 week ago
2023: Obi dazed as newly-wed joins huge supporters in Abuja solidarity rally
Railway6 days ago
Train attack: FG loses N531m revenue in five months
International21 hours ago
Coup: Protesters attack French embassy in Burkina Faso