metro

Over 200 fighters killed as deadly clash between B’Haram and ISWAP force 1250 to surrender

At least  1,250 fleeing Boko Haram fighters and families have surrendered to Nigerian troops in the country’s North East in the last seven days following a deadly clash with the rival Islamic State of the West African Province (Iswap) that claimed over 200 lives.

Zagazola, a counter-insurgency  Expert and Security Analyst in Lake Chad reported how the ISWAP terrorists carried out reprisal attacks on Boko Haram fighters on February 26 and 27, 2023 in Gaizuwa, Mantari, Gabchari, Kashimiri, and Maimusari in Bama, North East Borno state.

The Iswap group successfully dislodged Boko Haram, killing many of them and forcing survivors to flee their camps together with their families.

Top Military sources told Zagazola Makama, a Counter-Insurgency Expert and Security Analyst on Sunday that the ISWAP group intercepted the fleeing terrorists in  Yale in Konduga and  Choliye in Gudumbali LGA and neutralized more than 200 of them.

The ISWAP stormed another hideout in Asinari, Ashanari, and Masarmari area in Konduga on March 1, 2023, and killed another score of the Boko Haram fighters.

READ ALSO:

The sources explained that the sustained inter-rivalry clash of the groups, triggered the massive surrendering of the militants in  Mafa, Konduga, and  Bama Local Government Areas.

He said “The militants surrendered because of the fear that they will be neutralized by either the Super Tukano’s of the ISWAP rival faction. There was no hiding place anymore.

He said “So far, we have received 1,250 fighters and their families within one week. This number was the highest we have received in a very short period of time in different parts of the theatre.

“The surrendered suspects who also came out with about 1,000 livestock,  confessed that the ISWAP were after their lives as they do not spear women and children.

“Among those who surrendered were women who had been enslaved by, conscripted by, or minors born to the insurgents,” he said.

The military sources said profiling of the surrendered terrorists is ongoing, after which the individuals will be handed over to the appropriate agencies for further rehabilitation.

Recalled that the military authority said as many as 100,000 fighters and family members, along with their captives, have left Boko Haram, the largest wave of defections by the terror group was attributed to the death of Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram’s leader, who blew himself up in May 2021, during a rival clash with ISWAP. Vanguard

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Armed Men Raze ADC Chieftain’s House, Beat Family Members in Rivers Attack

Armed Men Raze ADC Chieftain's House, Beat Family Members in Rivers Attack Thomas Isaiah recounts…

2 hours ago

Lagos declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese Day celebration

Lagos declares Thursday work-free for 2026 Isese Day celebration The Lagos State Government has declared…

3 hours ago

South African Consulate Denies Visa Restrictions on Nigerians

South African Consulate Denies Visa Restrictions on Nigerians Consul General confirms visa services continue as…

3 hours ago

2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose

2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose Former…

3 hours ago

Fuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele

Fuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele The Federal Government generated…

4 hours ago

Electric Vehicles: Six-point blueprint to drive mass adoption, by Metropolitan CEO

Electric Vehicles: Six-point blueprint to drive mass adoption, by Metropolitan CEO  Nigeria’s electric vehicle transition…

4 hours ago