‘’The zone also has the two service chiefs – the chief of defence staff from Kaduna State, and the chief of air staff from Kano State.’’
Perish your 2027 presidential ambitions, APC tells Atiku, el-Rufai
The National Vice Chairman (North West) of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Garba Muhammad, has cautioned former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, and ex-governor of Kaduna State, Nasir el-Rufai, to tread softly ahead of the 2027 general election.
Muhammad, who hails from Kaduna State and served as a member of the House of Representatives, representing Sabon Gari federal constituency for 16 years, had in an open letter, told Atiku to “perish the thought of another presidential contest” and remain the statesman he was, noting that he had been contesting for the presidency since 1993.
Muhammad said: “As we approach the next general elections, you are at it again. However, this time around, having sensed that your party, the PDP, may not cede the presidential ticket to you, you are now considering joining forces with some aggrieved politicians to form a coalition to challenge President Bola Tinubu in 2027.
“For you, Alhaji Atiku, our former vice president, my free-hearted advice is, in your best interest and the interest of Nigerians, it is better you drop the idea of contesting for president in 2027, by which time you would have already turned 80 years.
“The Wazirin Adamawa, you should rather remain the elder statesman that you currently are. Methinks you shouldn’t waste your time and resources. At least, you should take your cue from another former Vice President, Arc. Muhammad Namadi Sambo, who has been operating in the background and remains an elder statesman since he left office in 2015.”
Muhammad said Atiku should not listen to some politicians, such as former Kaduna governor, El-rufai who “are dangling the carrot of a coalition” to him ahead of 2027.
“In truth, even if you contest, you have nothing new to offer. Remember, you are also a proponent of subsidy removal. It is on record that, as vice president, you spearheaded the privatisation of some key national assets when you chaired the committee on privatisation during Obasanjo’s administration, while former Governor El-rufai was the Director General of the Bureau for Public Privatization, BPP.”
READ ALSO:
To el-rufai, the APC chieftain, who is also the chairman of the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency, NESREA, Governing Board, he urged the former Kaduna State governor to reconcile with the APC since he was a founding member of the party who toiled to see its success.
The former lawmaker said: “It is on record that you were part of the founding members of the APC. Having worked for the party tirelessly and served as governor under its platform for eight years, it is rather worrisome that you decided to leave APC at this critical point.
“While still serving as governor in 2022, during one of your media chats, you averred that “the moment I leave APC, then I have quit politics altogether.” At this critical point, you should ponder and reconcile with the APC or quit politics altogether.
![]()
Oyo Grand Chief Imam Declares Marathon Prayers Over Insecurity, Peace of Oyoland
OYO, Nigeria – Deeply troubled by the rising wave of insecurity sweeping across the nation, the Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Land, Sheikh Al-Imam Barrister Bilal Husayn Akinola Akeugberu, has declared a special marathon prayer programme to seek divine intervention for peace, unity, and sustainable development in Oyoland and Nigeria as a whole.
The announcement came through an official press release issued on Wednesday, 20th May 2026, from the Office of the Grand Chief Imam. The revered Islamic leader expressed profound concern over the persistent security challenges plaguing the country, with particular emphasis on Oyo State, stressing that the current situation demands both practical security measures and sincere spiritual intervention from all stakeholders. According to the Grand Chief Imam, the marathon prayers will feature Adhkaar (remembrances of Allah), Nawaafil (supererogatory prayers), recitation of the Glorious Qur’an, and special supplications dedicated exclusively to the peace and progress of the land. The spiritual gathering is designed to be a continuous session of worship and fervent prayer.
The spiritual gathering is scheduled to hold on Tuesday, 26th May 2026, which coincides with the blessed Day of Arafah – widely regarded as the holiest day in the Islamic calendar. The event will take place at the Oyo Central Mosque, commencing from 12:00 PM and continuing uninterruptedly until Maghrib (sunset) time, by the grace of Allah. The prayer session will focus intensely on seeking Allah’s mercy and protection for Oyoland, Oyo State, and Nigeria at large. Special attention will be directed at the rising wave of insecurity, including fear, kidnapping, violence, banditry, and social unrest that have increasingly disrupted communities across the nation.
READ ALSO:
In a show of reverence for traditional institutions, special prayers will also be offered for the wellbeing, sound health, wisdom, and divine guidance of His Imperial Majesty, Abdul Hakeem Abimbola Owoade I, the Elewuetu the Great. The Grand Chief Imam further called for supplications for increasing prosperity, progress, infrastructural development, and human capacity advancement across all sectors of Oyoland. In a significant political declaration, the Grand Chief Imam announced that prayers shall be made for the emergence of Oyo Town as the capital of the proposed Oyo State in the coming political dispensation, by the grace of Allah. This marks a bold spiritual endorsement of long-standing political aspirations within the community.
The Grand Chief Imam called on all stakeholders, traditional rulers, religious leaders, Ustads, Afas, community leaders, youth groups, and all meaningful Nigerians to unite in prayers and collective efforts towards restoring peace, harmony, and development to the nation. He emphasized that insecurity is a challenge that transcends religious and ethnic boundaries, requiring a unified response from all citizens. He also encouraged all Muslims to observe fasting on the Day of Arafah, describing it as one of the most spiritually rewarding days in Islam and a unique opportunity for supplication, seeking Allah’s forgiveness, and obtaining divine mercy.
Adequate arrangements, according to the Imam, will be put in place to ensure comfort and convenience for all participants throughout the programme. Security and crowd management measures are expected to be established to facilitate a smooth and focused spiritual exercise without disruptions. The Grand Chief Imam concluded by praying for Allah’s divine intervention in the affairs of the nation and for lasting peace, stability, and prosperity across Oyoland and Nigeria. The press release was signed by the Office of the Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Land, for and on behalf of Sheikh Al-Imam Barrister Bilal Husayn Akinola Akeugberu, with the closing invocation: Wallahul Musta’aan (Allah is the One Whose help is sought) and Assalaamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh.
![]()
No Fatalities in Zaria Mosque Collapse Despite Social Media Rumors
ZARIA, Nigeria – A partial collapse at the historic Zaria Central Mosque during ongoing renovation work has left three construction workers injured, but authorities have confirmed that no lives were lost – contradicting earlier social media claims that two people had died.
The incident occurred on Wednesday when a section of decking beside the southern minaret gave way while workers were carrying out casting work on the second floor of the mosque. The collapse is part of a larger mosque reconstruction project currently underway at the revered religious landmark.
Despite unverified reports circulating online that two persons had died in the collapse, emergency responders and officials at the scene have confirmed zero fatalities. The three injured workers were promptly evacuated and taken to a hospital in Zaria for medical treatment. Their current conditions have not been publicly detailed, but sources indicate they are stable and receiving care.
The collapse happened specifically during decking casting – a process involving the pouring of concrete for floor slabs. Workers were focused on the second floor area adjacent to the southern minaret when the structure gave way. The reconstruction project has been ongoing for several months, aimed at renovating and modernizing the historic prayer space.
READ ALSO:
The Zazzau Emirate Council, which has oversight of the Zaria Central Mosque, has declined to provide operational details regarding the collapse. A Council spokesperson stated that the mosque reconstruction is managed by a dedicated technical committee in collaboration with the private construction company handling the renovation. “We are leaving all operational comments to the technical committee and the construction firm,” a Council official said. “Our primary concern is the well-being of the workers and the integrity of the project.”
Following the incident, security personnel quickly cordoned off the affected section of the mosque to prevent unauthorized access. A preliminary assessment of the structural damage is expected to be conducted by the technical committee and the construction company. Other sections of the mosque have not been reported as compromised. The collapse has raised questions about construction site safety protocols for religious building renovations. It remains unclear whether work will be paused or if safety reviews will be conducted before casting operations resume.
The Zaria Central Mosque is a landmark of immense historical and religious significance to the Zazzau Emirate. Its ongoing reconstruction has been closely watched by community members and religious leaders. Wednesday’s incident marks the first reported accident during the renovation period.
Representatives of the construction company responsible for the project had not responded to requests for comment as of the time of this report. Further details regarding the cause of the collapse and any planned safety reviews are expected in the coming days.
![]()
Son, Grandson Kidnap Father Twice for N6.5m Ransom in Kaduna
Published: May 20, 2026 | Read Time: 4 minutes
The Kaduna Police Command has uncovered a shocking case of family betrayal, revealing that an elderly man, Alhaji Rabo Jelani, was allegedly kidnapped twice by his own son and grandson. The suspects reportedly collected a total of N6.5 million in ransom and operated with multiple AK-47 rifles, one of which has been recovered by police.
The Kaduna Police Command announced on Tuesday that Yusuf Rabo (the victim’s son) and Musa Adamu (an accomplice) have been arrested following intensive investigations into the abduction of Alhaji Rabo Jelani, an elderly man from Kaduna State. Both suspects are currently in custody and have been charged with criminal conspiracy, kidnapping, armed robbery, and unlawful possession of firearms. According to police spokesperson DCP Anthony Okon Placid, investigations revealed that Yusuf Rabo allegedly conspired with Musa Adamu and Ali Haruna—the victim’s own grandson—to kidnap the elderly man for ransom. The motive was that the syndicate believed that Alhaji Rabo Jelani possessed substantial wealth and large livestock holdings.
While two suspects are in custody, police have confirmed that Ali Haruna, the victim’s grandson, remains at large. Authorities have launched a manhunt to apprehend the fleeing suspect and recover additional weapons and exhibits connected to the crimes. The Nigeria Police Force has assured the public of sustained intelligence-led operations against violent criminal groups across the country.
READ ALSO:
Findings revealed that the victim was abducted on separate occasions and taken to forest hideouts where ransom negotiations were allegedly coordinated by Yusuf Rabo himself. In a chilling twist, the son was reportedly negotiating with his own family for the release of his father while the elderly man was held captive in the forest. The first abduction reportedly yielded a ransom payment of Two Million Naira (N2,000,000) , while a subsequent operation generated Four Million Five Hundred Thousand Naira (N4,500,000) . This brings the total amount extorted from the family to N6.5 million.
Investigations further established that the criminal syndicate procured and deployed multiple AK-47 rifles for their operations. In a shocking revelation, police allege that Ali Haruna (the grandson) supplied one of the firearms belonging to his own father —meaning the grandson allegedly took his father’s rifle to help kidnap his grandfather. Additional weapons were sourced by other members of the gang. During the police operation, authorities successfully recovered one AK-47 rifle with an empty magazine.
The police have also linked the syndicate to several other violent crimes within Kaduna State and surrounding communities. These include the kidnapping of a trader identified as Mr. Iyke and an armed robbery attack along the Kagoma axis where commuters were dispossessed of cash, phones, and other valuables. The suspects are believed to be part of a larger criminal network operating in the area.
The Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Anthony Okon Placid, reaffirmed the Nigeria Police Force’s commitment to tackling violent crime, stating that the Nigeria Police Force remains resolute in dismantling kidnapping and armed robbery networks across the country and assures members of the public of sustained intelligence-led operations against violent criminal groups. The police have confirmed that efforts are ongoing to arrest the fleeing suspect, Ali Haruna, and recover more weapons and items connected to the case.
![]()
Kidnapped Oyo Teacher Beheaded As Makinde Confirms Arrest Of Six Suspects
Sandra Okunzuwa Reveals Movie Kiss Scene Ended Her Relationship
BREAKING: Several Injured as Car Crashes Into Tricycles in Lagos
Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
‘HNO Must Go’ — WAEC Workers Declare After 9-Hour Talks End in Deadlock
Igboho Calls for Approval of “Iru Ekun Security Network” After Oyo School Attack
UTME 2026: JAMB Gives Fresh Update on Original Result Slip Delay
Chike Reacts To Rumours Linking Him With Frank Edoho’s Estranged Wife