Omoyele Sowore
Police declare activist Sowore wanted over planned protest
The Lagos State Police Command has declared activist and politician Omoyele Sowore wanted for allegedly planning to disrupt public peace by staging a protest on the Third Mainland Bridge.
Commissioner of Police Olohundare Jimoh made the announcement early Monday, citing intelligence reports that Sowore and his supporters intended to block the bridge in protest of recent house demolitions in Oworonshoki.
Jimoh, who led a deployment of anti-riot officers to the bridge at 8 a.m., said the move was aimed at safeguarding critical infrastructure and ensuring uninterrupted movement for thousands of commuters between Lagos Island and the mainland.
“I hereby declare Sowore wanted for offences including disturbance of public peace and planning to obstruct traffic, thereby creating hardship for Lagos residents,” Jimoh stated. “He should report to the nearest police station. We are closing in on him and will arrest, investigate, and prosecute him.”
The Commissioner expressed concern over Sowore’s absence from Lagos, despite his history of organizing protests in Abuja. He emphasized that the Third Mainland Bridge is vital to the city’s economy and warned that any attempt to block it could compromise its structural integrity and endanger public safety.
READ ALSO:
“Bridges are designed for moving traffic, not prolonged stationary loads. Any obstruction is a direct threat to national infrastructure,” Jimoh said.
To prevent access to the bridge, police units have been stationed at strategic locations including Iyana-Oworo, Ilubirin, Berger bus stop, and major terminals. Traffic-control teams have also been mobilized to maintain flow and minimize disruption.
Jimoh confirmed the arrest of 13 individuals linked to alleged “miscreant” activity and warned that anyone exploiting the demolition issue to incite violence would face legal consequences. He added that residents entitled to compensation had been duly paid by the relevant government agency.
Additional police deployments have been made at Lekki Toll Gate and Freedom Park to deter parallel protests or coordinated disruptions.
“We are fully prepared to respond to any eventuality within the bounds of the law,” Jimoh assured.
In response, Sowore took to his verified Facebook page, alleging that the police declaration stemmed from their failure to carry out a “shoot on sight” order purportedly issued by the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun.
“Despite my repeated attempts to contact Commissioner Jimoh, he has not taken my calls. Nevertheless, I plan to meet with him soon to address his declaration,” Sowore wrote.
The situation continues to unfold as tensions rise over the demolition and its aftermath.
US, Nigerian Forces Kill 20 ISWAP Terrorists in Fresh Borno Airstrikes The Defence Headquarters (DHQ)…
Police Confirm Two Gruesome Family Murders Within Hours in Enugu ENUGU— Residents of Ukehe and Agu-Ekwegbe…
Immigration Service Honours Lasaco Assurance MD Over Product Innovation The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), Lagos…
WHO Declares Ebola Emergency as Nigeria Activates Nationwide Monitoring The Federal Government, through the Nigeria…
City Boy Movement Empowers 1,000 FCT Women, Backs Tinubu’s 2027 Re-Election No fewer than 1,000…
Oyo School Attacks: Afenifere Urges South-West Govs To Tighten Security The pan-Yoruba socio-political organisation, Afenifere,…