metro

Police dismiss report of Boko Haram arrests in Lagos

Police dismiss report of Boko Haram arrests in Lagos

The Lagos State Police Command has denied a report that Boko Haram suspects have been apprehended in the state.

On Thursday, Kumar Sanda, the commander of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) in Lagos, was reported to have said thousands of suspected Boko Haram members had been arrested in the city.

“If I should mention the number of Boko Haram members we have arrested in Lagos State, people will not believe it. But we have arrested thousands,” he was quoted as saying.

In a statement on Friday, Benjamin Hundeyin, the state’s police spokesperson, said following the publication, Olohundare Jimoh, police commissioner, directed an immediate investigation of the claim.

Hundeyin said the investigation revealed that no Boko Haram member was seen or arrested anywhere in the state.

READ ALSO:

“Furthermore, in the trailer park communities mentioned, the leaders, operators and drivers in the indicated places in the report clarified to the police that there were no such elements of Boko Haram seen or arrested in those localities,” the statement reads.

“The command, notwithstanding, deployed surveillance police detectives, the Lagos State Police Intelligence Department (SID), and other formations of the Force to the mentioned places for the purpose of verification of the claim.

“No one confirmed the presence or arrest of such group members as reported in the write-up throughout Lagos State.

“Therefore, the report in its entirety is false, malicious, and ill-intended to cause fear and apprehension in the minds of the public.”

Hundeyin said the report was a figment of the imagination of the writer, urging residents to go about their normal businesses without fear.

“Members of the public are encouraged by the Commissioner of Police to go about their duties and other means of livelihood without fear or apprehension,” he said.

Police dismiss report of Boko Haram arrests in Lagos

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)

Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video) LAGOS, Nigeria — Tension erupted…

2 minutes ago

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate…

1 hour ago

Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers

Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers Port Harcourt — Former…

1 hour ago

Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan

Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan The Bauchi State Government has announced…

2 hours ago

E‑Transmission Alone Cannot Guarantee Free, Fair Elections – Shehu Sani

E‑Transmission Alone Cannot Guarantee Free, Fair Elections - Shehu Sani Former Kaduna Central senator, Shehu…

2 hours ago

Rosy Meurer Denies Snatching Churchill From Tonto Dikeh

Rosy Meurer Denies Snatching Churchill From Tonto Dikeh Nollywood actress Rosy Meurer has firmly denied…

3 hours ago