News

Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe

Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe

The Presidency has dismissed former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai’s recent claim that the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) procured thallium sulphate, describing it as a politically motivated attempt to stir tension and divert attention from corruption allegations linked to his tenure in Kaduna State.

Officials said the allegation comes shortly after the Kaduna State House of Assembly reportedly endorsed a petition to the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), urging investigations into alleged financial improprieties totaling N432 billion during El-Rufai’s administration. The anti-graft agencies have since invited him for questioning.

Reacting to El-Rufai’s inquiry to the NSA, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, said the former governor was spreading misinformation capable of generating fear and unrest, while attempting to portray himself as a victim. Ajayi stressed that no government procurement or importation of thallium sulphate had taken place through ONSA.

READ ALSO:

“Mallam El-Rufai certainly got a reply to his letter from the NSA’s office, and he should be honourable enough to release it just as he mischievously released his own letter,” Ajayi said in a statement shared on social media.

According to the Presidency, El-Rufai’s actions are designed to create political instability and shift public focus away from the corruption allegations he faces. The statement argued that he is attempting to “nationalise his personal challenges” with the Kaduna State Government, insisting the controversy is not about President Bola Tinubu or the NSA, but about his waning political influence after eight years in office.

The Presidency further claimed El-Rufai had lost support from key stakeholders in Kaduna, including political allies, and had fallen out with his successor, Uba Sani, whom he had previously endorsed. Government officials urged the former governor to abandon political theatrics and address the allegations through appropriate legal and institutional channels.

The controversy comes amid heightened attention to both the thallium sulphate claim and the ongoing N432 billion Kaduna corruption probe, with analysts observing potential political and legal implications for the former governor.

Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger

Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger Security agencies in Niger…

14 minutes ago

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding The Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council…

23 minutes ago

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening The…

35 minutes ago

Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes

Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes The Federal Government…

40 minutes ago

Israeli Airstrikes Kill 12 in Gaza as Violence Persists Despite Ceasefire

Israeli Airstrikes Kill 12 in Gaza as Violence Persists Despite Ceasefire At least 12 Palestinians…

50 minutes ago

FBI Probe Continues as Ex‑Church Minister Who Confessed to Child Abuse Remains Free

FBI Probe Continues as Ex‑Church Minister Who Confessed to Child Abuse Remains Free An ex‑minister…

1 hour ago