International

Relief as Israel agrees to ceasefire with Lebanon

Relief as Israel agrees to ceasefire with Lebanon 

 

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said he will bring a US-brokered proposal for a ceasefire with Hezbollah in Lebanon to his government for approval as soon as Tuesday evening.

He said in a televised address that he would put “a ceasefire outline” to ministers “this evening”.

He however did not say how long the truce would last, noting “the length of the ceasefire depends on what happens in Lebanon”.

But it later learnt that the ceasefire would is for 60 days.

During the period, Hezbollah fighters are expected to retreat 40 kilometres from Israel’s border, with Israeli ground forces withdrawing from Lebanese territory.

“If Hezbollah violates the agreement and attempts to rearm, we will strike,” Netanyahu warned.

Key Israel backer the United States has led ceasefire efforts for Lebanon alongside France.

US President Joe Biden is optimistic the deal will lead to a “permanent cessation of hostilities”.

Biden added that the US would lead another push for a ceasefire in Gaza.

“In full coordination with the United States, we are maintaining full military freedom of action,” Netanyahu said, outlining the seven-front war Israel says it faces in Gaza, the occupied West Bank, Yemen, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Iran.

Even as Netanyahu spoke about the ceasefire, the Israeli military carried out multiple strikes on heart of Beirut while the army said some 15 projectiles had entered Israeli airspace from Lebanon.

Demonstrators raise placards and Israeli flags during a protest in front of the Israeli Defence Ministry in the coastal city Tel Aviv on November 26, 2024, against a possible ceasefire with Hezbollah in Lebanon. – Israel’s security cabinet has started discussing a proposed ceasefire deal in its war with Hezbollah in Lebanon, an Israeli official confirmed to AFP on November 26. (Photo by Jack GUEZ / AFP)

The war in Lebanon escalated after nearly a year of limited cross-border exchanges of fire begun by Hezbollah, which said it was acting in support of Hamas after its October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, which sparked the war in Gaza.

The war has killed at least 3,823 people in Lebanon since October 2023, according to the health ministry, most of them since September.

On the Israeli side, the hostilities have killed at least 82 soldiers and 47 civilians, authorities say.

Netanyahu said the ceasefire would allow Israel to focus on “the Iranian threat” and ramp up its fight against Hamas in Gaza.

“With Hezbollah out of the picture, Hamas is left on its own,” he said.

“We will increase our pressure on Hamas and that will help us in our sacred mission of releasing our hostages.”

During last year’s Hamas attack, militants took 251 hostages, of whom 97 are still held in Gaza, including 34 the army has declared dead.

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica

Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica Vinicius Jr scored a stunning…

8 minutes ago

Trump’s Executive Order Halts US Aid, 250,000 Lives Affected in Yobe

Trump’s Executive Order Halts US Aid, 250,000 Lives Affected in Yobe The Yobe State Government…

19 minutes ago

Four Northern Traders Killed, Shops Looted in Rivers Anti‑Northerners Protest

Four Northern Traders Killed, Shops Looted in Rivers Anti‑Northerners Protest At least four northern traders…

38 minutes ago

Falana, Jibrin, Bugaje Lead Opposition to US Military Presence in Nigeria

Falana, Jibrin, Bugaje Lead Opposition to US Military Presence in Nigeria Some prominent Nigerians have…

47 minutes ago

Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks

Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks The Islamic State West Africa…

58 minutes ago

Nigerian Equities Post World’s Second-Best Dollar Returns in 2026, Recover $21bn

Nigerian Equities Post World’s Second-Best Dollar Returns in 2026, Recover $21bn Nigerian equities have emerged…

1 hour ago