Categories: News

Remaining 87 Kaduna Baptist school students to be released in batches

President of Kaduna Baptist Conference, Ishaya Jangado, has said the remaining Bethel Baptist High School students still in captivity will be released in batches.
A total of 121 students were abducted when bandits invaded the school on July 5.
The bandits had earlier released one of the students based on health grounds while two others were rescued by the police.
Twenty-eight students were released on Saturday night at a location along Kaduna-Abuja road, after which vigilantes took them to 1 Division, Nigerian army.
Leaders of the Baptist Church led by the President of the Nigerian Baptist Convention, Isreal Akanji, picked them up from the army division on Sunday.
They were later reunited with their parents at the school premises.
However, many of the parents were unhappy as their children were not among those released.
“I have been talking with the bandits and they told me that the children would be released in batches and they have released the first batch of 28,” Jangado said.
“I appealed to parents whose children are not among the first batch not to despair as they will be released too by the grace of God. If your child is not among those released don’t be disappointed, let’s keep praying.”
On his part, Akanji said, “A lot of efforts were made to ensure the release of the students. The number one effort was prayers; we prayed and prayed.
“We spoke to security agents; we spoke to the governor of Kaduna State and he promised that he was going to do his best to ensure the release of the children.
“We have waited; it is about three weeks now and finally, we are grateful that we have this batch that has come.
“All together, we have received 34 students out of the 121. We are still expecting 87 who have not come back yet.
“The children were just released by the people who abducted them. They kept them in a place and they called us and we went and carried them in our vehicles and brought them.
“Our prayer is that they will release the remaining students”.
Akanji maintained that the church did not pay any ransom to the bandits.
He said, “I don’t know where you got your information. I have heard a lot of information in the media. Some said we paid N60 million, some said we paid N100m.
“What we said is that as a church, we will not pay ransom because it is not right to pay people who have done what is wrong.
“I cannot answer for those who probably must have been involved in certain ways.”
No government official or security agency was present as the leaders of the church drove the students straight to the school and handed them to their parents.

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo

Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo Idanre, Ondo…

5 hours ago

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus Awhum, Udi LGA, Enugu…

5 hours ago

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau Kampani Zurak, Wase LGA, Plateau State —…

5 hours ago

BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections

BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections President Bola Ahmed…

5 hours ago

Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)

Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video) LAGOS, Nigeria — Tension erupted…

6 hours ago

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate…

7 hours ago