Categories: metro

Second Niger Bridge opening eases traffic by 40% – FRSC

The opening of the Second Niger Bridge to vehicles has reduced the burden on the old bridge by more than 40 per cent, the Federal Road Safety Corps has said.

The Sector Commander of the FRSC in Anambra, Mr Adeoye Irelewuyi, said this in Awka on Saturday.

He said the decision of the Federal Government to temporarily open the new bridge to traffic was a welcome and timely gesture as it had greatly eased pressure on the old bridge.

He noted that the Niger Bridge at Onitsha had been critical to vehicular traffic, especially during the Christmas and New Year festivities since Anambra is the gateway state to the South-East and the South-South geopolitical zones.

According to him, when small vehicles are diverted from the old bridge, about 40 per cent of traffic on it would have been diverted, thereby reducing the gridlock.

“The bridge is just 1.1km which should take a motorist moving at 50km per hour to cross it within two to three minutes.

“Before now, motorists spent between 12 hours and 18 hours on that bridge; the maximum time spent on the bridge now is 30 minutes.

“One of the strategies is that vehicles are now compelled to move in one lane in opposite directions, it could be slow but it is steady,’’ he said.

Travellers to the South-East through the Niger Bridge used to spend between 12 hours and 18 hours to cross from Asaba to Onitsha and vice-versa because of gridlock.

These were caused by the volume of traffic, checkpoints at both ends of the bridge and activities of touts.

The Federal Ministry of Works, Anambra and Delta and security agencies have formed a committee which worked towards decongesting traffic around the Niger Bridge.

Irelewuyi said the committee ensured that all factors which inhibited the free flow of traffic were removed as much as possible.

“Loading of passengers around the bridge is no longer possible; we have three big tow trucks permanently stationed around the bridge to facilitate quick removal of broken down vehicles and clear the road,’’ he said.

Irelewuyi promised the FRSC’s commitment towards ensuring stress-free movement for motorists and other travellers in the state.

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother

Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother In a development that has sparked…

4 hours ago

Bandits Abduct Wives, Daughters of JIBWIS Chief Imam, Others in Bauchi

Bandits Abduct Wives, Daughters of JIBWIS Chief Imam, Others in Bauchi Suspected bandits have abducted…

4 hours ago

Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections

Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections The Nigerian Senate has…

4 hours ago

Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election

Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election Lawmakers of the Osun State…

4 hours ago

MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation

MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria…

4 hours ago

Customs Seize Cocaine Worth N1bn Along Nigeria–Benin Corridor

Customs Seize Cocaine Worth N1bn Along Nigeria–Benin Corridor Operatives of the Nigeria Customs Service have…

5 hours ago