The Senate on Tuesday commenced investigation into alleged assault by the Chairman of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, Danladi Umar on a guard, Clement Sagwak, at Banex Plaza, Wuse 2, Abuja.
The incident occurred on March 29, 2021.
Sagwak had also forwarded his petition to the National Human Rights Commission to probe the incident.
Senator Istifanus Gyang (Plateau North) submitted a petition on the incident to the Senate on behalf of his constituent, Sagwak.
Sagwak, had in his petition dated April 9 2021 and signed by his lawyer, Samuel Ihensekhien, accused the CCT chairman of abuse of power, assault, torture, and ‘xenophobia’.
A five-minute video that went viral captured Umar and the guard having an altercation at the plaza.
Sagwak, 22, and an employee of Jul Reliable Guards Services Limited, told the Senate he was attacked by Umar last month.
He said he was assaulted by Umar and a policeman attached to him after he informed him (Umar) that his car was not properly parked.
He said the CCT boss slapped him several times and forced him to kneel down in the presence of everybody while undergoing his lawful activities.
He asked the Senate to investigate the incident and ensure justice.
Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, referred the petition to the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions to report back to plenary in four weeks.
Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity…
Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64 Lawmaker representing the South East Senatorial…
Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets By…
MOMAN, ALCMAN Partner BKG to Drive Nigeria’s Shift from Auto Imports to Industrial Production …
Eric Chelle Requests $130,000 Monthly, Lists 19 Conditions to Extend Super Eagles Contract Super Eagles…
Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors The Osun State Government has awarded…