The accident scene
The Federal Road Safety Corps has confirmed seven persons dead and 29 injured in an accident that occurred during the annual Calabar Carnival on Tuesday.
The Sector Commander of the Corps, Maikano Hassan, confirmed the casualty figure to the News Agency of Nigeria.
He said the accident occurred in front of the Jumat Mosque in Bogobiri in the capital city of Cross River during the Bikers Parade activity of the carnival.
Hassan listed the number of injured to include 21 male adults, three women, two male children and three female children.
READ ALSO:
He said the injured were rushed to the Naval hospital and the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital for medical attention.
He added that the remains of the dead had been deposited in the two hospitals in Calabar.
NAN reports that the incident abruptly brought the day five activity to an end, where the state governor, Prof. Ben Ayade was already seated with other dignitaries.
Ayade, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media, Mr Christian Ita, directed security agencies to apprehend the motorist who was on the run.
While sympathising with the victims of the accident and their families, the governor ordered an immediate investigation to unravel how the motorist beat security barricades to have access to the routes which were closed to the public.
Ita said the governor also directed the immediate discontinuation of the Bikers parade in honour of the victims of the accident.
While promising to ensure the culprit is arrested and brought to book, Ayade however, sued for calm.
Punch
Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo Idanre, Ondo…
Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus Awhum, Udi LGA, Enugu…
Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau Kampani Zurak, Wase LGA, Plateau State —…
BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections President Bola Ahmed…
Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video) LAGOS, Nigeria — Tension erupted…
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate…