Strike: ASUU dismisses FG threat, insists no agreement reached – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Strike: ASUU dismisses FG threat, insists no agreement reached

Published

on

The Academic Staff Union of Universities says no agreement has been reached with the Federal Government on any of the contentious issues holding back the resumption of students.

It also denounced a Twitter handle credited to the union as saying students should prepare for resumption nect week

Contrary to the position of the government that all the contentious issues except one have been resolved, President of ASUU, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi, says none of their demands has been met by the government.

Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Sonny Echono, said in Abuja that only one issue was outstandaing.

Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, is also optimistic that the dispute would be resolved this week at the meeting of the two parties and the strike called off.

But Ogunyemi said they had not reached any agreement that could be described as concrete enough to make its lecturers resume from the seven-month strike.

The union also rejected claims that eight out of the nine demands raised by ASUU had been met.

He said, “As far as we are concerned, nothing has been delivered to our members and our members don’t want empty promises. Let us take the issues one after the other.

“The withheld salaries of our members which is between four to eight months have not been paid; if paid, accounts of our members would have been credited. Same for earned academic allowances, they are yet to be paid.”

The ASUU president also said visitation panels were yet to be constituted for the universities, adding that the issue relating to the proliferation of tertiary institutions by state governors had not been resolved.

He asked, “So, on which of these issues has the target beneficiaries seen any concrete action being taken? We are getting to understand the way people in government work.

“When they are still discussing with you, they will go to town and tell people what has not been done. Their intention is to paint ASUU as the aggressor.”

The ASUU president said the union would not feel threatened by a warning by the government that it could invoke labour laws if a resolution was not reached between the two parties.

The union went on strike to pressure the government to address its concerns about remuneration, working conditions, earned allowances and obsolete infrastructure, among others.

The union also kicked against a salary payment platform introduced by the government, the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) and has come up with its own system.

Meanwhile, ASUU has denounced the Twitter account, registered in its name, which asked students of public universities to prepare for resumption as a positive outcome was expected from the union’s meeting with the FG on Wednesday.

Ogunyemi described the information as fake news, saying that the union had not operated any Twitter account.

He said, “Those people are impersonators; they are impostors. They are using that Twitter handle and other Twitter handles to create confusion. We don’t know anything about the Twitter handle and we never said what they are attributing to us.

“That is not the way we share our information; we have a way of sharing our information and that is why we are advising our friendly media to always double-check with us anything they are in doubt of. ASUU will never say any such thing on Twitter.”

News

Nigerian pilgrim returns €1,750 found in Makkah

Published

on

Nigerian pilgrim returns €1,750 found in Makkah

A Nigerian pilgrim, Muhammad Na’Allah from Gumi Local Government Area of Zamfara State, has returned the sum of €1,750 (one thousand seven hundred and fifty euros) which he found at the Haram in Makkah.

The returned money was handed over to the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) for onward delivery to its rightful owner.

READ ALSO:

Na’Allah was accompanied to the NAHCON office in Ummuljud, Makkah by officials of the Zamfara State Pilgrims Welfare Board. The Chairman/CEO of NAHCON, Malam Jalal Ahmad Arabi, praised the pilgrim for his honesty and integrity.

He highlighted that Na’Allah’s gesture symbolizes the meaning of his name, which reflects closeness to Allah.

“This shows his pilgrimage has positively impacted his personal character, behavior, and attitude,” Arabi remarked, commending the pilgrim’s honorable action.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: NELFUND postpones student loan application for state varsities

Published

on

BREAKING: NELFUND postpones student loan application for state varsities

The Management of the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) announced on Tuesday a 14-day postponement of the student loan application process for state institutions due to “low data submissions.”

The delay is caused by several state-owned institutions not uploading the required student data and fee information to the NELFUND Student Verification System.

According to a statement by NELFUND in Abuja, only a limited number of state-owned institutions have completed the data submission process: 20 out of 48 state universities, 12 out of 54 state colleges, and 2 out of 49 state polytechnics.

This insufficient data submission poses significant challenges to ensuring a seamless and accurate verification process for student loan applicants.

READ ALSO:

The application window, originally set to open on June 25, 2024, will now commence on July 10, 2024. The extension is intended to provide additional time for state institutions to comply with the data submission requirements, ensuring that their students can benefit from the Federal Government’s student loan scheme.

To facilitate an efficient and error-free application process, it is crucial that all state institutions provide complete and accurate information. This includes JAMB numbers, matriculation numbers, admission numbers, full names, level, faculties, departments, program duration, fees, and the gender of all eligible students.

Incomplete or incorrect data submissions will result in application delays and potential disqualification for affected students.

The fund urged all state institutions to expedite their data submission processes and ensure the accuracy of the information provided. Institutions that fail to meet the revised deadline risk disadvantaging their students, who depend on these loans to support their education.

BREAKING: NELFUND postpones student loan application for state varsities

Continue Reading

News

Sultan: Check your facts well, Sokoto govt replies Shettima

Published

on

President-General and Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III

Sultan: Check your facts well, Sokoto govt replies Shettima

The Sokoto state government has asked Vice President Kashim Shettima to always cross check facts before commenting on sensitive national matters.

Responding to the warning publicly made by the Vice President at the Northwest Security summit in Katsina on Monday, the state government said the Vice President should have contacted Governor Ahmed Aliyu to verify the news which made rounds on the purported plan to depose Sultan Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar before going public.

In a statement signed by the spokesman of Governor Aliyu, Abubakar Bawa, the government urged the Vice President to always have full knowledge of issues of national concern before commenting on them.

“We sincerely expected the Vice President to have consulted the Governor before going public.

READ ALSO:

“As an elder statesman and a father to all he should have facts and figures before judging on issues raised by mischief makers and the mushroom social media handlers known for negative propaganda.

“The fact of the matter is that there was never any attempt to sack the Sultan nor have we sent him any threat regarding that.

“Sultan enjoys all the powers he is entitled to. We never denied him any of his freedom or rights .

“We therefore do not need to be told to guard, protect, and promote the Sultan. It is our sole responsibility.

“The government and People of Sokoto cherish and adore the sultanate council and would do everything possible to protect the dignity of the revered institution. The Government to this end reassures all Nigerians that, it will continue to protect the sultanate council and its dignity at all times,” the statement read.

Sultan: Check your facts well, Sokoto govt replies Shettima

Continue Reading

Trending