Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
Three people were killed after two teenage gunmen stormed the Islamic Center of San Diego in California, United States, in what authorities are investigating as a possible hate crime targeting Muslims.
The deadly San Diego mosque shooting, which happened on Monday at the Clairemont-area mosque, also left the two suspects dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to police.
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl confirmed that officers responding to reports of an active shooter found three adult male victims dead inside the mosque complex.
One of those killed was identified as a mosque security guard who officials said played a heroic role in preventing the attack from becoming even more devastating.
“One of the deceased is a security guard that works there and I think played a pivotal role in assisting from this being much worse,” Wahl said during a press briefing.
Authorities said the two suspects, aged 17 and 19, were later discovered dead inside a vehicle several blocks away from the mosque after allegedly taking their own lives.
Investigators revealed that one of the suspects had reportedly taken firearms from a parent’s home before carrying out the attack.
Police also disclosed that the teenager’s mother had earlier alerted authorities that her son was missing, suicidal and possibly armed, sparking concern before the shooting unfolded.
The investigation intensified after detectives reportedly recovered anti-Muslim writings and hate-related messages from weapons and materials linked to the suspects.
“We are considering this a hate crime until it’s not,” Police Chief Wahl stated.
READ ALSO:
The Islamic Center of San Diego, regarded as the largest mosque in the city, also houses Islamic schools attended by Muslim children.
Witnesses described terrifying scenes as gunfire erupted during activities around midday prayers, forcing worshippers and students to seek cover while heavily armed police officers flooded the area.
A nine-year-old student who survived the attack told reporters he hid inside a closet with classmates as the shooting continued outside.
Police said officers arrived at the scene within four minutes of receiving the first emergency call at about 11:43 a.m. local time.
More than 50 officers later conducted an extensive search of the mosque and surrounding buildings as part of the emergency response.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) confirmed that federal agents, evidence response teams and victim specialists had joined the investigation.
FBI Director Kash Patel said federal authorities would provide all necessary resources to support the probe into the deadly attack.
Imam and Director of the mosque, Taha Hassane, condemned the shooting and described the attack on a place of worship as heartbreaking.
“We have never experienced a tragedy like this before,” Hassane said while thanking emergency responders and community leaders for their support.
Authorities confirmed that all children, teachers and staff members linked to the mosque’s schools were safely evacuated.
Following the shooting, police departments in cities including New York, Los Angeles and Washington increased security patrols around mosques and other places of worship.
United States President Donald Trump and California Governor Gavin Newsom were also briefed on the incident.
Trump described the attack as “a terrible situation” and said federal authorities were closely monitoring developments.
Meanwhile, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) condemned the violence and warned about rising cases of Islamophobia and anti-Muslim discrimination across the United States.
Investigators said the motive behind the California mosque shooting remains under active investigation as authorities continue reviewing surveillance footage, weapons evidence and the suspects’ online activities.
UTME 2026: JAMB Gives Fresh Update on Original Result Slip Delay The Joint Admissions and…
NYSC Charges Corps Members on Election Duties as Camp Closes in Osun The National Youth…
Frank Edoho Faces Fresh Allegations as Estranged Wife Breaks Silence Media personality Frank Edoho is…
DAPPMAN Reacts As Dangote Refinery Challenges Fuel Import Licences In Court The Depot and Petroleum…
Yahaya Bello Sweeps Kogi Central APC Primary As Oshiomhole Wins Edo North Former Kogi State…
NDC Confirms Peter Obi As Only Presidential Aspirant After Deadline Former Labour Party presidential candidate,…