Three Palestinians killed during Israeli settler attack on West Bank village - Newstrends
Connect with us

International

Three Palestinians killed during Israeli settler attack on West Bank village

Published

on

Three Palestinians killed during Israeli settler attack on West Bank village

Three Palestinians have been shot dead after dozens of Israeli settlers attacked a Palestinian village in the occupied West Bank, Palestinian authorities say.

Video footage from Kafr Malik, near Ramallah, on Wednesday night showed a car and a home on fire and Palestinians running away as gunfire is heard.

The Israeli military said forces deployed to the scene found settlers and villagers throwing stones at each other. It added that several “terrorists” opened fire and threw stones at the forces, who returned fire and identified hits. They also arrested five Israelis.

The Palestinian foreign ministry said settlers fired at villagers in their homes during what it called their “terrorist assault”.

The ministry also said Israeli forces prevented ambulance crews from reaching the wounded and obstructed fire crews from entering the village for several hours.

Another villager, a 13-year-old boy, was shot dead – reportedly by Israeli troops – earlier in the week.

Israel has built about 160 settlements housing some 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank and East Jerusalem – land Palestinians want, along with Gaza, for a hoped-for future state – in the 1967 Middle East war. An estimated 3.3 million Palestinians live alongside them.

The vast majority of the international community considers the settlements illegal under international law – a position supported by an advisory opinion of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) last year – although Israel disputes this.

“What do you expect us to do when our homes are being attacked by settlers with petrol bombs?” asked one elderly man, sitting quietly with hundreds of other mourners on Thursday after the funerals of the three men who were killed.

READ ALSO:

Kafr Malik has been attacked numerous times in recent weeks by settlers increasingly emboldened by Israeli government ministers who often support their actions and who have endorsed the building of many more settlements.

“They think they can take my land and force me to leave, but I’m not going anywhere,” said Hamdallah Bearat, a retired professor of engineering who has lived in Kfar Malik for most of his life.

For many younger Palestinians, though, the realities of an increasingly restrictive occupation and its economic consequences make life here more difficult by the day.

Shortly after the incident in Kafr Malik, there was another attack in the Palestinian community of Dar Fazaa, near the village of Taybeh.

Israeli human rights group B’Tselem said three people were injured and three cars were torched. It posted CCTV footage showing a group of at least 10 masked men setting one car on fire and throwing stones.

“The settler violence and rampage, under the protection of the occupation army, is a political decision by the Israeli government, implemented by the settlers,” Palestinian Vice-President Hussein al-Sheikh wrote on X.

“The Israeli government’s behaviour and decisions are pushing the region toward an explosion. We call on the international community to urgently intervene to protect our Palestinian people.”

Since Hamas’s attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, which triggered the war in Gaza, more than 900 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces in the West Bank – a period in which more than 20 Israelis have also been killed.

There has also been a sharp increase in the number and severity of settler attacks in the West Bank over the same period.

READ ALSO:

The UN says there were 487 attacks by settlers resulting in casualties or property damage in the first four months of this year, including 122 in April. At least 181 Palestinians were reportedly injured by settlers in the attacks.

Human rights organisations and witnesses say the Israeli military and police frequently stand by while settlers attack Palestinian towns and villages.

Since the right-wing, pro-settler governing coalition headed by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu took office in late 2022, it has decided to establish 49 new settlements and begin the legalisation process for seven settler outposts which were built without government authorisation, according to the Israeli anti-settlement watchdog Peace Now.

Last month, Israeli ministers said 22 new settlements had been approved across the length and width of the West Bank, hailing it as a move that “prevents the establishment of a Palestinian state that would endanger Israel”.

In a separate incident on Wednesday, a 15-year-old Palestinian boy was shot and killed by Israeli forces in the town of al-Yamoun, near Jenin, the Palestinian health ministry said.

The Israeli military said “terrorists” threw explosive devices at its forces during an operation there. Afterwards, they approached while holding additional explosives and the forces responded by opening fire, it added.

In January, Israeli forces launched a large-scale operation against Palestinian armed groups in Jenin and two other governorates in the northern West Bank, which Netanyahu said aimed to “defeat terrorism”.

The UN’s human rights chief said in April that the operation had destroyed entire refugee camps and makeshift medical sites, and displaced more than 40,000 Palestinians, who had been told not to return to their homes for a year.

Three Palestinians killed during Israeli settler attack on West Bank village

Loading

International

Putin Discusses Iran Uranium Storage Plan With Xi in Beijing

Published

on

Putin Discusses Iran Uranium Storage Plan With Xi in Beijing

Putin Discusses Iran Uranium Storage Plan With Xi in Beijing

Russian President Vladimir Putin has discussed with Chinese President Xi Jinping the possibility of transporting and storing Iran’s enriched uranium in Russia, the Kremlin confirmed on Thursday following the conclusion of bilateral talks in Beijing.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Putin raised the proposal during closed-door discussions with Xi on Wednesday as Moscow and Beijing reviewed growing tensions surrounding Iran’s nuclear programme and broader Middle East security concerns.

According to Peskov, Russia remains willing to assist in diplomatic efforts aimed at reducing confrontation between Iran and Western powers by offering to temporarily store Tehran’s enriched uranium stockpile on Russian territory.

Russia first floated the proposal in June 2025 and has repeatedly promoted it as a practical confidence-building measure that could help revive stalled nuclear negotiations and reduce fears over Iran’s uranium enrichment activities.

Moscow previously handled the transfer and storage of Iran’s low-enriched uranium under the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), the international nuclear agreement reached between Iran and world powers.

READ ALSO:

Putin has cited that arrangement as evidence that Russia possesses both the technical infrastructure and diplomatic experience needed to manage such a process again if all parties agree.

Peskov said Moscow continues to maintain communication with “all interested parties” and is prepared to continue mediation efforts aimed at de-escalating tensions around Iran’s nuclear activities.

However, the United States has publicly rejected the idea of transferring Iran’s enriched uranium to Russia as part of any future nuclear framework.

Washington has instead continued to push for the full dismantlement or severe restriction of Iran’s nuclear programme under any renewed agreement, arguing that Tehran’s current enrichment levels pose serious proliferation risks.

According to estimates by international nuclear monitoring agencies, Iran currently possesses roughly 450 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60 percent purity — a level significantly above the limits set under the 2015 nuclear deal and technically close to weapons-grade material if further enriched.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has repeatedly expressed concern over Iran’s growing stockpile and the pace of its enrichment activities since Tehran gradually reduced compliance with the JCPOA following the United States’ withdrawal from the deal in 2018.

China has generally supported diplomatic engagement with Iran and backed efforts to revive negotiations, although Beijing had not publicly commented on Putin’s latest proposal as of Thursday evening.

Iranian officials also did not immediately respond to the Kremlin’s remarks, though Tehran has consistently maintained that its nuclear programme is intended strictly for peaceful civilian purposes, including energy generation and medical research.

The renewed Russian proposal comes amid heightened geopolitical tensions in the Middle East and growing international concern over the future of Iran’s nuclear programme as negotiations between Tehran and Western powers remain deadlocked.

Putin Discusses Iran Uranium Storage Plan With Xi in Beijing

Loading

Continue Reading

International

Iran Threatens Wider War Beyond Middle East If US Attacks Again

Published

on

Iran Threatens Wider War Beyond Middle East If US Attacks Again

Iran Threatens Wider War Beyond Middle East If US Attacks Again

Tensions between Iran and the United States escalated on Wednesday after Tehran warned that any new American military strike could trigger a conflict extending beyond the Middle East region.

The latest threat followed comments by US President Donald Trump, who disclosed that he was close to authorising another military operation against Iran before deciding to delay the move to allow diplomatic talks to continue.

Speaking at the White House on Tuesday, Trump said he had nearly approved a fresh bombing campaign targeting Iran.

“I was an hour away from making the decision to go today,” Trump told reporters, while warning that military action remained possible if ongoing negotiations fail.

The warning comes six weeks after Trump paused the military operation known as “Operation Epic Fury” under a temporary ceasefire arrangement aimed at creating room for diplomacy. However, efforts to secure a long-term peace deal between Washington and Tehran have reportedly stalled.

Earlier reports revealed that Iran submitted a new peace proposal to the United States, demanding control over the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damages, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen Iranian assets, and withdrawal of US troops from parts of the Middle East.

READ ALSO:

The proposal was reportedly rejected by the Trump administration.

Reacting to Trump’s latest remarks, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) renewed threats of retaliation against American interests and countries hosting US military bases across the region.

In a statement carried by Iranian state media on Wednesday, the IRGC warned that any renewed aggression from Washington would spark a broader conflict outside the Middle East.

“If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time,” the statement said.

The development has further heightened global fears over a possible expansion of the Iran-US conflict, particularly around the strategically important Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s busiest oil shipping routes.

Analysts warn that any escalation could disrupt global crude oil supplies, increase tensions across the Gulf region, and trigger fresh instability in international energy markets.

The renewed standoff also comes amid rising concerns over Iran’s nuclear programme, ongoing sanctions, and the growing military presence of the United States and its allies in the Middle East.

Diplomatic observers say the coming days could prove critical as both countries continue negotiations while simultaneously exchanging threats of military action.

Iran Threatens Wider War Beyond Middle East If US Attacks Again

Loading

Continue Reading

International

Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured

Published

on

Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured

Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured

Spanish authorities have arrested a 25-year-old man on suspicion of killing his parents and injuring four other people, including two babies, during a deadly mass shooting in the southern Spanish town of El Ejido near Almería.

According to the Guardia Civil, the shooting occurred shortly after 11:00 p.m. local time on Monday in the El Canalillo area of El Ejido, a municipality located in the Andalusia region of southern Spain.

Police confirmed that two people died in the attack, while four others sustained serious injuries and were rushed to nearby hospitals for emergency treatment.

Spanish media reports identified the deceased victims as the suspect’s parents, who were allegedly found inside a vehicle riddled with bullets near the scene of the attack.

Among those injured were two young children, including a seven-month-old baby believed to be the suspect’s son, according to local reports. An 18-month-old child was also seriously injured during the shooting.

READ ALSO:

Authorities further confirmed that a 60-year-old man was among those wounded in the incident, though officials have not yet publicly disclosed the identities of all victims.

Following the shooting, the suspect reportedly fled the area, triggering a police manhunt involving heavily armed security operatives and emergency response teams. However, Spanish news agency Europa Press later reported that the suspect eventually surrendered himself at a local police station.

The Guardia Civil said investigations are ongoing to determine the motive behind the attack, including whether domestic disputes, mental health issues, or other personal factors may have contributed to the shooting.

Spanish investigators are also examining how the suspect obtained the firearm used in the attack, amid reports suggesting he may not have possessed a valid firearms licence.

Emergency medical personnel and specialized police units were deployed immediately after authorities received multiple reports of gunfire late Monday night.

The incident has shocked residents across the Andalusia region and reignited concerns over gun violence, although mass shootings remain relatively rare in Spain due to strict firearm regulations and comparatively low gun-crime rates.

According to Project Insight, a European gun violence monitoring initiative, only four mass shootings were recorded in Spain between 2000 and 2023.

Local authorities in El Ejido expressed condolences to the affected families and pledged full cooperation with investigators as the case continues to unfold.

Meanwhile, officials urged the public to avoid speculation while police complete forensic examinations and gather witness statements connected to the deadly attack.

Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending