metro

Tinubu Condoles Anthony Joshua After Ogun Crash That Killed Two Associates

Tinubu Condoles Anthony Joshua After Ogun Crash That Killed Two Associates

President Bola Tinubu has spoken with Anthony Joshua, the Nigerian-British boxing star, following a tragic road accident in Ogun State that left the boxer injured and claimed the lives of two of his associates.

Tinubu, who is currently abroad, disclosed that he personally called Joshua to express condolences over the loss and to wish him a speedy recovery.

“I spoke with AJ on the phone to personally convey my condolences over the death of his two associates. I wished him well and prayed for him. He assured me that he is receiving the best care in the hospital,” the President said.

In a statement issued by his spokesman, Bayo Onanuga, Tinubu added that he also spoke with Joshua’s mother, who expressed appreciation for the gesture. The President further revealed that he contacted Ogun State Governor Dapo Abiodun, who was at the hospital with Joshua, and received assurances that the boxer was receiving optimal medical attention.

Earlier, in a post on X, President Tinubu expressed deep sympathy with Joshua and his family over the incident, which occurred along the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway.

READ ALSO:

“I sympathise with you and your family as you bear the emotional weight of this unfortunate incident. As a sportsman, you have always shown courage, discipline, and unwavering love for our country. These are qualities that have made you a source of national pride,” Tinubu wrote.

The President prayed for Joshua’s quick recovery and asked God to grant eternal rest to the souls of the deceased.

The accident reportedly occurred at the Makun area of Ogun State, when a Lexus Jeep conveying Anthony Joshua, with registration number KRD 850 HN, collided with a stationary truck.

Confirming the incident, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ogun State said the crash involved five persons. According to the FRSC Public Education Officer, Afolabi Odunsi, the accident was caused by excessive speeding and wrongful overtaking.

“Five people were involved; one injured, two were unhurt, while two were killed in the crash. It was discovered that Anthony Joshua (international boxer) was involved. He sustained injuries and was taken to an undisclosed hospital by security officers attached to him,” Odunsi stated.

He added that the bodies of the deceased had been deposited at a morgue and that road obstructions caused by the crash had been cleared.

The Ogun State Police Command also confirmed the incident through its spokesperson, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, who said the victims were deposited at Livewell Hospital Morgue, Sagamu.

Tinubu Condoles Anthony Joshua After Ogun Crash That Killed Two Associates

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has appointed…

33 minutes ago

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities Dozens of people are feared…

41 minutes ago

AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC

AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC Less than 48…

49 minutes ago

Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity…

2 hours ago

Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64

Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64 Lawmaker representing the South East Senatorial district…

3 hours ago

Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets

Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets  By…

3 hours ago