Categories: metro

Tinubu set to reshuffle cabinet, says Presidency

Tinubu set to reshuffle cabinet, says Presidency

Strong indications have emerged that President Bola Tinubu may soon announce a minor reshuffle of his cabinet following the swearing-in of two new ministers to fill recent vacancies.

Presidency sources disclosed that with the Federal Executive Council now at full strength with 48 ministers, the President is considering a slight reallocation of portfolios. The move, sources said, comes amid growing domestic and international pressures — including U.S. President Donald Trump’s warning over alleged human rights abuses and concerns about Nigeria’s sluggish response to insecurity.

Tinubu last carried out a major cabinet shake-up on October 23, 2024, during which he dismissed five ministers, appointed seven new ones, and reassigned ten others. Strategic ministries such as Finance, Defence, National Planning, and the two Ministers of State for Petroleum were, however, left untouched.

Speculations about another round of adjustments heightened last Wednesday after the President swore in two ministers — Dr. Bernard Mohammed Doro from Plateau State and Mr. Kingsley Tochukwu Udeh, SAN, from Enugu State — but withheld their portfolio assignments.

READ ALSO:

Dr. Doro replaces Prof. Nenatwe Yilwatda, the former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs who now serves as National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC). Udeh, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria and former Attorney General of Enugu State, succeeds Geoffrey Nnaji, who resigned following a certificate scandal.

Sources said the reshuffle had been delayed by the President’s busy international engagements following Nigeria’s 65th Independence anniversary.

Last year, presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga described the October 2024 shake-up as “an ongoing process,” noting that Tinubu had already restructured several ministries, including those of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Reduction, Education, Housing, Labour, and Livestock Development.

Meanwhile, the President has approved the appointment of five new Permanent Secretaries in the Federal Civil Service to fill existing vacancies.

According to a statement from the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, the new appointees are Ibrahim Abdulkarim Ozi (FCT), Ezemama John Chidiebere (Imo), Garba Abdul Sule Usman (North Central), Mohammed Musa Ishiyaku (North East), and Ukaire Binyerem Chigbowu (South East).

The impending reshuffle is expected to take effect once the new ministers are formally assigned their portfolios.

Tinubu set to reshuffle cabinet, says Presidency

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger

Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger Security agencies in Niger…

3 hours ago

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding The Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council…

3 hours ago

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening The…

3 hours ago

Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes

Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes The Federal Government…

3 hours ago

Israeli Airstrikes Kill 12 in Gaza as Violence Persists Despite Ceasefire

Israeli Airstrikes Kill 12 in Gaza as Violence Persists Despite Ceasefire At least 12 Palestinians…

3 hours ago

FBI Probe Continues as Ex‑Church Minister Who Confessed to Child Abuse Remains Free

FBI Probe Continues as Ex‑Church Minister Who Confessed to Child Abuse Remains Free An ex‑minister…

4 hours ago