metro

Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts

Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction on Osun State Government bank accounts after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu directed the agency to vacate the order.

The affected accounts, held with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, are now operational, according to confirmations from both the Presidency and an aide to Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.

A Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the restriction had been removed, saying the EFCC could not disregard the President’s directive.

“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” Ajayi said.

An aide to Governor Adeleke, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the Post No Debit (PND) restriction had been vacated and that the state government’s accounts were functioning again.

The EFCC had imposed the restriction on August 5, 2026, as part of an investigation into the alleged fraudulent handling of about N11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).

The commission said the investigation had been ongoing since March 2026 and was aimed at preventing the alleged diversion of public funds.

The decision to restrict the accounts, however, generated significant controversy because it came shortly before the August 15 Osun State governorship election.

READ ALSO:

The timing prompted allegations from the Osun State Government and its supporters that the EFCC action was politically motivated and intended to weaken Adeleke ahead of the election. The commission rejected the allegations and maintained that its action was connected to an ongoing financial investigation.

The dispute escalated after the President intervened and directed the EFCC to take steps to vacate the restriction.

Tinubu expressed concern about the timing of the action and its potential implications for public confidence in the electoral process, while also maintaining that anti-corruption agencies should carry out their responsibilities professionally.

The account restriction had also triggered a legal battle between the Osun State Government and the EFCC.

The state government approached the Federal High Court in Abuja to challenge the restriction and sought N2 billion in damages, arguing that the EFCC’s action unlawfully interfered with the state’s access to its funds.

The legal dispute changed following Tinubu’s intervention and the subsequent lifting of the restriction.

After being declared winner of the governorship election, Adeleke directed the Osun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the suit against the EFCC.

Adeleke said the President’s intervention had addressed the immediate dispute and that there was therefore no need to continue with the case.

With the accounts now operational, the immediate confrontation between the Osun State Government and the EFCC appears to have eased.

However, the lifting of the account restriction does not necessarily mean that the underlying investigation has been discontinued. The EFCC’s earlier allegations concerning the handling of about N11 billion remain separate from the decision to restore access to the accounts.

The development has also renewed discussions about the relationship between anti-corruption agencies and elected governments, particularly when financial investigations take place close to major elections.

For the Osun State Government, the restoration of access to its accounts removes an immediate financial constraint and allows the state to continue accessing funds required for government operations.

For the EFCC, the development means the financial investigation, if still ongoing, would have to proceed through the appropriate legal and investigative channels without the earlier account restriction.

Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Tinubu Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries, Orders Arrest Over Fake Agency in SGF Office

Tinubu Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries, Orders Arrest Over Fake Agency in SGF Office The Independent…

6 minutes ago

CBN Governor, NADDC DG to Lead LCCI Debate on Vehicle Financing as Alternative to Fuel Subsidy

CBN Governor, NADDC DG to Lead LCCI Debate on Vehicle Financing as Alternative to Fuel…

12 minutes ago

Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau

Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace,…

17 minutes ago

Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu, By Farooq Kperogi

Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu, By Farooq Kperogi Atiku Abubakar may finally have discovered…

33 minutes ago

IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling

IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu's Release Following UN Ruling The…

59 minutes ago

Enugu ADC Chairman Found Dead Near Residence in Suspected Murder

Enugu ADC Chairman Found Dead Near Residence in Suspected Murder Hon. Chisimdiri Emmanuel Ngwu was…

2 hours ago