We can’t afford N110bn ASUU demand for varsities – FG – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

We can’t afford N110bn ASUU demand for varsities – FG

Published

on

  • Again ASUU-FG meeting ends in deadlock

Contrary to the impression given by the government that an end to the prolonged strike by university lecturers was at sight, a meeting held to resolve all lingering issues on Wednesday ended in a deadlock.

Specifically, the meeting attended by representatives of the Federal Government and those of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, was over the poor funding of Universities and the controversy surrounding the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System payment platform.

Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, told journalists after the meeting that the government could not meet the N110bn demand of ASUU for university revitalisation because of the damaging effects of COVID-19 on the economy.

 

According to him, the Federal Government has offered the union N20bn for revitalisation and N30bn for Earned Academic Allowances, making a total of N50bn as a show of its commitment towards ending the strike.

He said, “There are three issues. revitalization fund where government offered ASUU N20bn as a sign of good faith based on the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) they entered into in 2013 as a result of the renegotiation they had with government in 2009. This present government is still committed to it. That is why we are giving them offers of some fund.”

He also said, “This government is not against revitalization but this government says that because of dire economic situation and  COVID-19, we cannot really pay the N110bn which they are demanding for revitalization.

“We offered N20bn as revitalization fund. On Earned Academic Allowances (EAA), the government offered N30bn to all the unions in the universities, making it N50bn all together.

“ASUU is saying that the N30bn should be for lecturers alone, irrespective of the fact that there are three other unions. So there is a little problem there. We don’t have any money to offer apart from this N30bn.

“Again, another cardinal issue is the University Transperancy and Accountability Solution (UTAS) versus IPPIS. Today ASUU submitted their document on UTAS for onward submission to National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA). As you know last week, the Minister of Communication and Digital Economy had approved that NITDA gets their system (UTAS) and subject it to integrity test. This test should be conducted without fear or favour and as early as possible. So today they have submitted the document for onward transmission to NITDA.”

Ngige explained that the transition period and how to disburse the Earned Academic Allowances and other entitlements remained unresolved as ASUU wanted an exemption from the IPPIS whereas the government team led by the Accountant General of the Federation insisted on the IPPIS, being the only government approved payment platform.

He said, “So that is where we are for now. So we are all going back to our principals and they will receive via me the irreducible minimum of what federal government has to offer.”

The two teams agreed to reconvene on Friday November 6.

 

News

UNIPORT banning official activities during Sallah, public holidays satisfying – MURIC

Published

on

Executive Director of MURIC, Professor Ishaq Akintola

UNIPORT banning official activities during Sallah, public holidays satisfying – MURIC

The University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) has announced a ban on all academic and official activities during Sallah and other public holidays declared by the Federal Government. This decision follows objections raised by the Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) regarding a field trip organized by the university on Eid al-Kabir, coinciding with this year’s celebration.

Prof. Ishaq Akintola, Director of MURIC, confirmed this development in a statement on Thursday night. He expressed satisfaction that UNIPORT responded positively to their objections and instructed all departments and faculties to strictly adhere to public holidays declared by the Federal Government.

“MURIC has confirmed that UNIPORT has instructed all departments and faculties to refrain from scheduling any official university programme or activity during Sallah and other public holidays declared by the FG,” Akintola stated.

READ ALSO:

He acknowledged the university’s acknowledgment that organizing the field trip on Eid al-Kabir and the subsequent public holidays was inappropriate. He clarified that MURIC does not seek apologies, legal action, or damages, emphasizing Islam’s principles of forgiveness and tolerance.

“We are not pursuing this campaign for personal reasons but to uphold the fundamental rights of Muslims wherever they are infringed upon. We hope other tertiary institutions will learn from this incident,” Akintola added.

He concluded by expressing hope that lessons learned from this incident would guide future decisions regarding religious observances and public holidays in educational institutions.

UNIPORT banning official activities during Sallah, public holidays satisfying – MURIC

Continue Reading

News

Kano govt orders Ado Bayero palace demolition after court order

Published

on

Aminu Ado Bayero

Kano govt orders Ado Bayero palace demolition after court order

The palace of the 15th Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado-Bayero, has been marked for demolition by the State government.

The state governor, Abba Yusuf, ordered the demolition of the palace on Thursday.

The state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Haruna Dederi, disclosed the development while addressing newsmen on Thursday.

According to him, the demolition will allow for the renovation of the palace which will commence immediately.

Dederi also stated that the Commissioner of Police has been expressly told to evict Bayero from the Nasarawa GRA mini palace where he resides.

READ ALSO:

He said “concluded arrangements for the general reconstruction and renovation of the property including the demolishing and reconstruction of the dilapidated wall fence with immediate effect.”

The development marks a new turn in the tussle for the throne of the Emir of the ancient city.

The demolition order comes a few hours after the Federal High Court nullified the dethronement of Bayero.

The court ruled on its substantive suit validating the Kano Emirate Council Repeal Law 2024 but nullifying all actions of Governor Abba Yusuf following the passage of the law.

Kano govt orders Ado Bayero palace demolition after court order

Continue Reading

News

Sanusi remains Emir, says Kano govt despite court order

Published

on

Muhammadu Sanusi II

Sanusi remains Emir, says Kano govt despite court order

This is contained in the government’s reaction to a pronouncement by a Federal High Court on Thursday, June 20, 2024, nullifying the reinstallation of Sanusi to the throne.

Continue Reading

Trending