Twitter has scaled a major hurdle for resuscitation of its operation in Nigeria after agreeing to open an office in the country.
Indeed, the Federal Government said on Wednesday that the ban on the operations of the micro-blogging platform would be lifted “in a matter of days”.
Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, stated this after the week’s virtual Federal Executive Council meeting presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo (SAN) at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The minister said many of the conditions given to the platform had been accepted.
He said even though Twitter had agreed to the condition of having a Nigerian office, it maintained that the earliest this could be established would be next year.
Mohammed said the issue of Twitter having staff of management cadre to serve as the country’s representative was still being discussed
The minister expressed confidence that everything would be sorted out with Twitter within a few days or weeks, noting the anxiety shown by Nigerians.
He said the Federal Government’s committee negotiating with Twitter would meet on the agreement soon to make recommendations.
He said, “We appreciate the patience of Nigerians. I want to assure you that we have made very tremendous progress. We have met with Twitter both physically and in writing. We are actually almost there.
“The engagement of has been extremely positive without any acrimony. We have made it clear what we want from Twitter.”
Ex-police officer kills two family members, one other over Badagry land The peaceful Yovoyan community in Badagry,…
Tuface spotted with Igbinedion’s granddaughter at Edo election tribunal Nigerian music legend Innocent Idibia, better known…
12-year-old 'Yahoo' trainee, others rescued in Lagos, training centre dismantled The Lagos State Police Command has…
Portable, Speed Darlington set for boxing match Controversial Nigerian artists Speed Darlington and Portable are poised…
Ondo bricklayer flees after wife gives birth to triplets A bricklayer, identified as Bayo Jeje, has…
Edo Gov Okpebholo wins round one as tribunal upholds his election The Edo State Governorship Election Petition…