metro

Why Obi’s 15-year-old supporter is in prison — Lawyer

Why Obi’s 15-year-old supporter is in prison — Lawyer

Public interest and human rights lawyer Inibehe Effiong has narrated the disturbing circumstances leading to the arrest and continued detention of Alabi Quadri, a minor who rose to brief public attention in 2023 after he stood in front of the convoy of Labour Party’s presidential candidate, Mr Peter Obi, during the electioneering campaign.

In a post on his X handle on Wednesday, Effiong revealed that Alabi has been held at the Minimum Security Custodial Centre, Kirikiri, Lagos, since January 2025, after being abducted by suspected hoodlums known as “area boys” and handed over to police at Amukoko Division, also known as Pako Police Station.

According to Effiong, Alabi’s ordeal stems from his refusal to “settle” certain individuals who felt entitled to a portion of the money he received after the viral incident involving Obi’s convoy.

“Since he failed to properly “settle” some people, it has been one attack to another.

“After abducting Alabi, the same area boys who have been threatening to deal with him for not sharing the money he was gifted dragged him to the Amukoko Police Station (Pako Police Station), where he was detained.

“The area boys initially claimed that Alabi was one of the young men who had been involved in street fights,” Effiong stated.

READ ALSO:

Shockingly, Effiong said the police then arraigned Alabi before a magistrate along with four adults who were total strangers to him, charging them with conspiracy to commit armed robbery with cutlasses. The alleged stolen items included four mobile phones and cash valued at ₦579,000.

Effiong, who visited the Apapa Magisterial District on Wednesday and later proceeded to Kirikiri alongside Alabi’s mother, relatives, and a social activist, expressed deep concern over the miscarriage of justice, especially as Alabi is under 18 and legally considered a minor.

“The court remanded him along with the four strange individuals who are all adults at the custodial centre pending legal advice by the Lagos State Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP),” he said.

Effiong further stressed that the charges appear fabricated and disconnected from the reality of Alabi’s life and experiences.

“I spent about two hours interviewing Alabi about the veracity of the charges brought by the police. Speaking objectively, we all left Kirikiri with a strong conviction that this gentleman is just another victim of Nigeria’s criminal justice system,” he said.

The human rights lawyer assured the public his legal team would pursue all lawful means to secure Alabi’s release.

“We shall provide additional information and the available legal options subsequently. Suffice it to say that we will do all that is legally permissible to secure Alabi’s freedom,” Effiong assured.

The case has already sparked reactions on social media, with growing calls for the authorities to look into the circumstances surrounding the 15-year-old boy’s detention.

In a post on X on Tuesday night, Obi expressed concern over Alabi’s prolonged detention without trial, urging authorities to operate within the law and protect citizens’ rights.

Why Obi’s 15-year-old supporter is in prison — Lawyer

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo

Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo Idanre, Ondo…

4 hours ago

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus Awhum, Udi LGA, Enugu…

5 hours ago

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau Kampani Zurak, Wase LGA, Plateau State —…

5 hours ago

BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections

BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections President Bola Ahmed…

5 hours ago

Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)

Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video) LAGOS, Nigeria — Tension erupted…

6 hours ago

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate…

7 hours ago