Wike insists Ayu must resign now, not after elections - Newstrends
Connect with us

Politics

Wike insists Ayu must resign now, not after elections

Published

on

  • Says it’s hypocritical to condemn APC Muslim-Muslim ticket

Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike says he has accepted former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar as presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party but insists Iyiorcha Ayu must relinquish his position as the party’s national chairman.

He said this after Atiku rescheduled his campaigns to enable new emissaries sent to the governor to intervene in the lingering crisis in the party.

The camp of Wike, comprising five governors and other influential members of the party, had shunned the campaign council over the refusal of the national chairman to resign.

Atiku and the campaign train expected to be in Kebbi State on Wednesday and Zamfara today (Thursday) had to be rescheduled in order for party to woo Wike camp into the Atiku project.

Speaking when he hosted Cross River State PDP governorship, senatorial, House of Representatives, House of Assembly candidates and local government party chairmen at his private residence in Rumueprikom, Rivers State, on Thursday, Wike said efforts for amicable resolution of the crisis rocking the PDP had been frustrated by “rent seeker” in the party.

The governor said nobody could convince him to change his position on the PDP national chairmanship moving to the southern Nigeria.

The governor, during the meeting which was attended by the party’s South-South national vice chairman, Chief Dan Orbih, said the crisis in the party had lingered because some vested interests, whom he described as “hyenas and rent seekers,” had remained obstinate and averse to justice, fairness and equity in the party.

“We have finished presidential primaries; we have a presidential candidate. Is Wike saying remove presidential candidate? Is Wike saying remove vice presidential candidate? So, what are you begging me for? All I am saying, and I will continue to say, is that you have taken president, give us (national) chairman.

“Nobody wants to speak the truth. If I am saying remove the presidential candidate, if I am saying remove the vice presidential candidate, then you will say why is he doing this?”

The governor said he could not be convinced to support the current status quo, where the PDP presidential candidate, national chairman and the Director General of the presidential campaign council are all from the North.

He said the refusal to cede the national chairman position to the South would be a recipe for crisis.

“He (national chairman) said, if the presidential candidate comes from the North, he will resign , which means he has had this in mind. Now, the thing has come to reality, now resign, no. And people are saying go and talk to Wike.

“I’ve accepted the presidential candidate, I have accepted the vice presidential candidate. What’s the problem again? You, fulfil your part. Let the South have something; that is all I’m preaching. You cannot have presidential candidate, national chairman, director general of the campaign.”

The governor also said it is hypocritical for some people in the PDP to criticise the Muslim-Muslim ticket of the APC, while supporting that a particular region of the country should retain the presidency for another eight years.

He insisted that for the sake of peace, the PDP should adhere to the tenets of its constitution, which recommends that when a presidential candidate emerges from the North, the national chairman should be from the South.

The governor said the clamour for the chairman of the PDP to be zoned to the South would persist until justice, fairness and equity prevailed in the PDP.

He said, “This is period that power game is being played. If you don’t have it now, forget it. If anybody tells you, let (Iyorchia) Ayu resign after election is conducted, then you are a foolish person. This is the time decision is being made. This is the time the presidential candidate, national chairman and the leader of campaign will sit, when election is won in February, before the president is sworn in, decisions would have been made.”

Loading

Politics

Fayemi Reveals How He Convinced Peter Obi To Greet Tinubu At Vatican

Published

on

Fayemi Reveals How He Convinced Peter Obi To Greet Tinubu At Vatican
Kayode Fayemi, Peter Obi and President Bola Tinubu

Fayemi Reveals How He Convinced Peter Obi To Greet Tinubu At Vatican

Former Ekiti State Governor and ex-Minister of Solid Minerals, Kayode Fayemi, has opened up on how he persuaded former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, to greet President Bola Ahmed Tinubu during the inauguration ceremony of Pope Leo XIV at the Vatican in May 2025.

Fayemi disclosed this during a one-on-one interview with Edmund Obilo on State Affairs, offering fresh insight into the now widely discussed encounter between Obi and Tinubu in Rome.

According to Fayemi, he and Obi, both practising Catholics, attended the papal inauguration after having breakfast with Cardinal Lazarus before proceeding to St. Peter’s Square, where the event took place.

“We had breakfast that morning with Cardinal Lazarus and proceeded from his apartment to the venue, where we sat four rows behind the president,” Fayemi said.

The former governor explained that the interaction began after Nigeria’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, who was part of the presidential delegation, approached him and Obi to exchange greetings.

Fayemi said he immediately felt it was appropriate for both of them to acknowledge the presence of the Nigerian leader at the international religious event despite political differences.

“I told Peter, ‘Please, let us go and greet him,’” Fayemi recounted.

However, Fayemi revealed that Obi initially hesitated because he feared the gesture could be politicised or misrepresented in the media.

READ ALSO:

According to Fayemi, he convinced Obi by stressing that the occasion transcended politics and was about national unity and courtesy.

“I told him it really didn’t matter. You are a Catholic, you are a Nigerian, and you are here. Our president has honoured us by attending. He is even a Muslim, yet he came to represent all Nigerians at this Catholic event. We should extend basic courtesies,” Fayemi stated.

He disclosed that Obi eventually agreed and accompanied him to meet Tinubu.

Fayemi said Obi greeted the President warmly, saying: “Mr President, welcome to the Vatican. Thank you for honouring us with your presence.”

According to him, Tinubu responded humorously by reminding them that he was the leader of Nigeria’s official delegation to the Vatican ceremony.

“The President said, ‘I should be the one welcoming you and Peter. I’m the Head of the Nigerian Delegation,’” Fayemi added.

Obi reportedly replied: “Yes sir, you are our leader. So thank you for coming to Rome to honour us, even though we are not part of your delegation.”

The former minister said the atmosphere remained cordial throughout the exchange, with both politicians sharing light jokes and pleasantries before the brief meeting ended.

The Vatican encounter between Tinubu and Obi had earlier generated reactions across social media after presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga shared details and photographs from the event.

At the time, reports indicated that Fayemi played a central role in facilitating the interaction between both political figures during the inauguration Mass of Pope Leo XIV.

Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu also later clarified that the meeting was merely an exchange of courtesies at a global religious gathering and should not be interpreted through political or ethnic lenses.

When asked whether the Vatican meeting was the first interaction between Tinubu and Obi since the 2023 presidential election, Fayemi said he could not confirm but noted that both men shook hands during the occasion.

The development has continued to spark conversations among supporters of both politicians, with many describing the encounter as a demonstration of political maturity and civility despite Nigeria’s intense political rivalry.

Fayemi Reveals How He Convinced Peter Obi To Greet Tinubu At Vatican

Loading

Continue Reading

Politics

APC gov primary: Setback for Adeola as Hunye rejects Ogun result

Published

on

APC gov primary: Setback for Adeola as Hunye rejects Ogun result 

 

The victory of Senator Olamilekan Adeola in the Ogun State governorship primary of the All Progressives Congress (APC) may have suffered a major setback following the rejection of the result by fellow aspirant, Abayomi Hunye, who described the outcome as flawed and unacceptable.

Hunye faulted the declaration by the party’s primary committee that he scored zero votes while Adeola emerged winner with 304,055 votes, insisting that results collated by his agents across the 236 wards indicated that he actually won the exercise with 453,765 votes.

The development is already fueling fresh controversy within the Ogun APC and raising questions over the credibility of the primary process.

Declaring his intention to challenge the outcome through constitutional and legal channels, Hunye said the announcement of zero votes for an aspirant who purchased forms, was screened by the party, mobilised supporters and actively participated in the election defied logic and undermined democratic principles.

In a statement issued by his campaign organisation, Hunye maintained that the figures announced by the committee could not be accepted as the true reflection of votes cast by party members.

“We categorically reject any attempt to present the announced figures as conclusive proof of a free, fair, credible, or uncontested democratic exercise because information made available from our party agents in all the 236 wards shows that our candidate had 453,765 votes compared to Senator Olamilekan Adeola’s 304,055 votes,” the statement said.

The campaign also alleged widespread irregularities during the exercise, including intimidation, harassment and restrictions that allegedly prevented genuine participation in several areas.

“It is therefore difficult to reconcile the narrative of a transparent and competitive direct primary with widespread complaints and reports from supporters concerning intimidation, harassment, restriction of participation, disruption of mobilisation efforts, and circumstances that allegedly prevented genuine voting opportunities in several locations,” the statement added.

Hunye’s camp further pointed to what it described as inconsistencies between results allegedly recorded at some local levels and the final figures eventually declared by the committee.

The aspirant insisted that his move was not only to reclaim what he described as his lawful mandate, but also to defend transparency, internal democracy and justice within the APC.

Loading

Continue Reading

Politics

APC Names Fubara, Other Governors As Coordinators For Presidential Primary

Published

on

Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara

APC Names Fubara, Other Governors As Coordinators For Presidential Primary

 

The ruling All Progressives Congress has appointed Rivers State Governor, Sim Fubara, alongside several serving and former governors, as coordinators and collation officers for its forthcoming presidential primary election.

 

The party also confirmed that it has adopted the direct primary mode for the exercise, allowing all registered party members across the country to participate in the election process.

 

According to a document released by the APC National Secretariat in Abuja, the direct primary election is scheduled to hold simultaneously in all the 8,809 wards nationwide on May 24, 2026.

 

The document stated that the appointed coordinators and collation officers would oversee the organisation and conduct of the exercise in their respective states, while also collating results from all local government areas before forwarding them to the Presidential Primary Election Committee in Abuja.

 

“The organisation and conduct of the direct primary in each of the 36 states and the FCT shall be the responsibility of the State Coordinator and Collation Officer, who shall also collate the results of all the local governments in the state and present the same to the Presidential Primary Election Committee in Abuja, FCT on 24 May, 2026,” the document read in part.

 

The statement, signed by APC National Secretary, Ajibola Basiru, further noted that the guidelines for the conduct of the exercise would align with the party’s earlier procedures submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission on May 15, 2026.

 

The APC explained that the provisions contained in its “Procedure for the Conduct of Direct and Consensus Mode of Primaries” would apply to the presidential primary election across the federation.

 

The development signals the party’s readiness to commence internal processes ahead of the 2027 general elections, with governors and key party stakeholders expected to play strategic roles in coordinating the nationwide exercise.

 

 

APC Names Fubara, Other Governors As Coordinators For Presidential Primary

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending