Politics
Your tenure was the worst in Osun history – Adeleke hits Aregbesola
Your tenure was the worst in Osun history – Adeleke hits Aregbesola
OSOGBO — Osun State Governor, Senator Ademola Adeleke, has launched a scathing attack on his predecessor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, describing his eight-year tenure as the “worst in Osun’s history.”
Adeleke’s remarks came in response to Aregbesola’s statement on Sunday while addressing supporters of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) in Osogbo. Aregbesola had boasted that the ADC would dislodge the Adeleke-led administration from the government house come 2026.
In a statement signed by his spokesperson, Olawale Rasheed, on Monday, Governor Adeleke said Aregbesola has no moral ground to speak, accusing him of leaving behind a legacy of hardship, financial mismanagement, and institutional decay.
“The empty boast of Mr. Aregbesola about 2026 is a symptom of a troubled mind battling his benefactor and haunted by the suffering he inflicted on millions of Osun people through his evil policies and programmes,” Adeleke said.
READ ALSO:
- Super Eagles legend Kadiri Ikhana critically ill
- Buhari left behind a terrible legacy – Sowore
- Buhari’s burial shifted to Tuesday as flight from London delayed
The Governor accused Aregbesola of mismanaging workers’ welfare by introducing the controversial half salary policy, misusing contributory pension funds, and withholding cooperative deductions from civil servants.
“A man who should be remorseful and tender public apologies for his years of maladministration has the audacity to attack a Governor who is paying up the half salary affliction, clearing unjustified debts, and rehabilitating brutalized Osun workers,” the statement read.
Adeleke revealed that his administration has so far paid 28 months of the half salaries owed by Aregbesola’s administration and has also cleared close to N60 billion in pension debt.
He further criticized Aregbesola for plunging the state into a cycle of unsustainable debt, which he said is still affecting Osun’s financial health today.
“Our people are smart enough to know that the worst era for Osun State is that of Mr. Aregbesola, under whom many pensioners lost their lives and thousands of livelihoods were disrupted,” Adeleke declared.
Describing Aregbesola as a “shrew who doesn’t realize he’s smelling,” Adeleke warned that 2026 will be a payback year, where Osun voters will reject the return of what he termed “the dark days” of Aregbesola’s rule.
“No voter in Osun is ready for a return to the evil days. The people will punish the former Governor and his party for willfully inflicting pain on them.”
The war of words between the former and current governors signals an early start to the political contest ahead of the 2026 Osun governorship election.
Your tenure was the worst in Osun history – Adeleke hits Aregbesola
![]()
Politics
PBAT Door-to-Door Movement Holds Kano Rally, Strengthens APC Ties Ahead of 2027
Politics
Atiku Vows to Restore Fuel Subsidy If Elected in 2027
Politics
Hold Oborevwori Responsible If I’m Attacked, Killed During Campaigns, Omo-Agege Says
Hold Oborevwori Responsible If I’m Attacked, Killed During Campaigns, Omo-Agege Says
Former Deputy Senate President Ovie Omo-Agege has raised alarm over alleged threats to his life and family members emanating from the Delta State Government House, calling on the public and security agencies to hold Governor Sheriff Oborevwori responsible if any harm comes to him, as he made the declaration on Thursday while flagging off his senatorial campaigns in Uvwie Local Government Area, seeking to return to the Senate on the platform of the National Democratic Congress (NDC). The former senator called on the Nigerian public, the international community, civil society organisations, the media and security agencies to take formal note of the alleged threats, stating with grave concern that he notes the disturbing and increasingly credible threats to his life and his family members in Delta State emanating from the Delta State Government House, Asaba, and declaring that should anything untoward happen to him or members of his family, the Nigerian people and more particularly the Urhobo people of Delta Central senatorial district should hold the Governor of Delta State Elder Sheriff Oborevwori responsible and accountable.
Omo-Agege and Governor Oborevwori have been political rivals since the 2023 Delta State governorship election, with Omo-Agege serving as the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) during that election, while Oborevwori contested on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) with the backing of then Governor Ifeanyi Okowa. Oborevwori won the election with 360,234 votes against Omo-Agege’s 240,229 votes, securing victory in 21 of Delta State’s 25 local government areas, and the Supreme Court later affirmed his election, after which Omo-Agege accepted the judgment and congratulated the governor, though both politicians have remained at odds over political leadership and influence in Delta State since then.
READ ALSO:
- Abel Enitan Replaces Walson-Jack as Head of Civil Service as Tinubu Lauds Outgoing HOS
- FG Upgrades Four Lagos Substations, Adds 360MW to Boost Power Supply
- PFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
The rivalry has intensified following Governor Oborevwori’s defection from the PDP to the APC on April 23, 2025, a move that dramatically altered the balance of political forces in Delta State, with Omo-Agege, who remained in the APC after Oborevwori’s defection, eventually leaving the party for the NDC, citing alienation and what he described as the Oborevwori-aligned camp wiping out the party’s legacy structure. Omo-Agege has claimed that Oborevwori defected to the APC out of fear of his political influence, citing his 2023 electoral performance in Delta Central where he polled 115,245 votes against the governor’s 100,089 votes, and queried that if Sheriff believed he was not a threat, why didn’t he stay back in PDP and take him on in 2027, while also accusing the governor’s camp of flouting a directive by President Bola Tinubu that old APC members and new entrants should be integrated through a 60-40 sharing arrangement following the governor’s defection.
Omo-Agege’s latest warning follows a violent incident in July 2026, when Simon Mudi, a protocol aide to Governor Oborevwori, was chased and repeatedly struck with bottles and chairs during an APC Delta Central leaders and stakeholders’ meeting in Effurun, with a video shared on Facebook by Omo-Agege showing participants fleeing in panic as several men pursued Mudi, striking him on the head with bottles and throwing chairs at him while he attempted to escape, and Omo-Agege described the assault as political thuggery, plain and simple, alleging without presenting evidence that the attackers were sponsored. Omo-Agege has called on the Inspector-General of Police, the Commissioner of Police in Delta, and the State Security Service to investigate the alleged threats, prosecute those responsible, and ensure a peaceful political environment before the 2027 general elections, further urging relevant authorities and other stakeholders to take formal notice of his concerns, while Governor Oborevwori had not responded to the allegations as of the time of reporting.
Hold Oborevwori Responsible If I’m Attacked, Killed During Campaigns, Omo-Agege Says
![]()
-
metro3 days agoPalliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
-
Insurance2 days agoNAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
-
Education3 days agoWAEC 2026 results: Schools raise alarm over alleged grading anomalies
-
Entertainment3 days agoVeteran Nollywood Actor Ogogo Battles Stage-4 Cancer as Daughters Beg for Treatment
-
metro3 days agoLagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Politics3 days ago‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
-
Politics3 days agoOsun guber: APC rejects Adeleke’s victory, begins audit of INEC results
-
metro3 days agoOver 50 Killed, Scores Injured as Gunmen Attack Mangu Communities in Plateau

