One third of Gaza residents not eating for days, UN warns - Newstrends
Connect with us

International

One third of Gaza residents not eating for days, UN warns

Published

on

The UN says almost 100,000 women and children are suffering from severe acute malnutrition in Gaza

One third of Gaza residents not eating for days, UN warns

Almost one in three people in the Gaza Strip are going for days without eating, the UN’s food aid programme has warned.

“Malnutrition is surging with 90,000 women and children in urgent need of treatment,” the World Food Programme (WFP) said in a statement.

Warnings of starvation in Gaza have intensified this week. Nine more people died of malnutrition on Friday, according to the Palestinian territory’s Hamas-run health ministry – bringing the total such deaths since the war began to 122.

Israel, which controls the entry of all supplies into Gaza, says there is no restriction on aid getting into the territory and blames Hamas for any malnutrition.

On Friday, UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer suggested the UK would play a role in dropping aid into Gaza by air after more than a third of MPs signed a letter calling on the government to recognise a Palestinian state.

This came after an Israeli security official had said that airdrops of aid into Gaza could be allowed in the coming days – something aid agencies have previously cautioned is an inefficient way to get supplies into Gaza.

“News that Israel will allow countries to airdrop aid into Gaza has come far too late – but we will do everything we can to get aid in via this route,” Sir Starmer wrote in The Mirror.

Sir Keir also said the UK was “urgently accelerating efforts” to evacuate children who need critical medical assistance to the UK for treatment.

While local media reported the United Arab Emirates and Jordan would carry out the latest drops, a senior Jordanian official told the BBC that its military was yet to receive permission from Israel to do so.

The UN has described the move as a “distraction to inaction” by the Israeli government.

The move came amid mounting international concern about humanitarian conditions in Gaza.

On Friday, Germany, France and the UK called on Israel to “immediately lift restrictions on the flow of aid” into the territory.

READ ALSO:

In a joint statement, they called for an immediate end to the “humanitarian catastrophe that we are witnessing in Gaza,” and to the war itself, adding that Israel must “uphold its obligations under international humanitarian law”.

“Withholding essential humanitarian assistance to the civilian population is unacceptable,” read the statement.

The UN Secretary General António Guterres said he could not “explain the level of indifference and inaction we see by too many in the international community – the lack of compassion, the lack of truth, the lack of humanity”.

Addressing the Amnesty International global assembly, he said more than 1,000 Palestinians had been killed while trying to access food since 27 May – when the US and Israeli-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) began distributing supplies as an alternative to the UN-led system.

A US security contractor who worked for the GHF in May and June 2025 told the BBC on Friday that he had “without question… witnessed war crimes” during that time.

Anthony Aguilar said he saw the IDF and US contractors using live ammunition, artillery, mortar rounds, and tank fire on civilians at food distribution sites.

The retired soldier said: “In my entire career, I have never witnessed the level of brutality and use of indiscriminate and unnecessary force against a civilian population until I was in Gaza at the hands of the IDF and US contractors.”

In its response, the GHF said the claims – which came from “a disgruntled former contractor who was terminated for misconduct a month ago” – were “categorically false”.

Meanwhile, the future of talks to secure a new ceasefire and hostage-release deal remains uncertain, after the US and Israel withdrew their negotiating teams from Qatar.

READ ALSO:

US President Donald Trump said Hamas “didn’t really want to make a deal”.

“I think they want to die,” he said.

Hamas has expressed surprise about the US remarks.

A senior Hamas official also told the BBC’s Gaza correspondent that mediators had informed the group negotiations had not collapsed, and said the Israeli delegation was expected to return to Doha next week.

Israel launched a war in Gaza in response to the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

More than 59,000 people have been killed in Gaza since then, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.

Israel imposed a total blockade of aid deliveries at the start of March and resumed its military offensive against Hamas two weeks later, collapsing a two-month ceasefire. It said it wanted to put pressure on the group to release its remaining Israeli hostages.

Although the blockade was partially eased after almost two months amid warnings of a looming famine from global experts, the shortages of food, medicine and fuel have worsened.

Most of Gaza’s population has been displaced multiple times and more than 90% of homes are estimated to be damaged or destroyed.

On Thursday, France announced it would official recognise a Palestinian state in September – a move which angered Israel and its main ally, the US.

A day later, more than a third of UK MPs signed a letter to Sir Keir calling for the UK to follow suit.

But the prime minister indicated such a move would not be imminent – it would have to be part of a “wider plan which ultimately results in a two-state solution” – a Palestinian state alongside Israel.

Almost a third of people in Gaza not eating for days, UN food programme warns

BBC

Loading

International

UK PM Burnham Duped By Impersonator Of Top Trump Aide

Published

on

UK PM Burnham Duped By Impersonator Of Top Trump Aide
British Prime Minister Andy Burnham

UK PM Burnham Duped By Impersonator Of Top Trump Aide

British Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged messages with an individual impersonating White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles before becoming suspicious—a major security lapse that prompted the UK embassy in Washington to raise the matter directly with the Trump administration .

Burnham, who took office on July 20, reportedly believed he was communicating with Wiles, one of US President Donald Trump‘s closest advisers and the first woman to serve as White House chief of staff. A person briefed on the matter told Politico that a “few messages” were exchanged before Burnham became suspicious, but insisted they were “of no significance.” Sources said the communication was through text messages only, with no telephone conversation taking place, and the suspicious activity was “quickly reported to the appropriate authorities” once concerns emerged.

READ ALSO:

International relations expert Professor Anthony Glees of the University of Buckingham suggested the incident was most likely the work of a foreign intelligence service—pointing to Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps, Russian, or Chinese intelligence as possible culprits. He noted that Wiles was among those targeted by an Iranian cyber espionage unit in 2024. Professor Glees also questioned why Burnham’s security team apparently failed to inform him that Wiles’ phone had been previously hacked, and that any messages purporting to come from her should have been treated with extreme caution. “My guess is that they would be about Burnham’s views on international affairs, particularly perhaps Trump and Netanyahu’s war on Iran, and Putin’s war on Ukraine,” he said. The incident follows an FBI investigation into an attempted hack of Wiles’ personal phone in May 2025. At that time, Wiles told associates her phone had been compromised after an impersonator used her contacts file to message other top US officials. Recipients included US senators, governors, and top business executives. The impersonation was targeted at her personal phone, not her government phone. The FBI director said at the time: “The FBI takes all threats against the President, his staff, and our cybersecurity with the utmost seriousness.”

Burnham, who became prime minister on July 20, has been working to establish a positive relationship with Trump. The pair have held a formal phone call, during which Burnham set out his vision for the UK and discussed UK security matters, the Middle East situation, and the upcoming World Cup. However, in his first major interview as Prime Minister, Burnham stated he would be prepared to call out Trump where necessary to defend Britain’s national interest. A Downing Street spokesperson declined to comment on the security breach, stating: “We do not comment on national security matters.” The White House has also declined to comment publicly. The incident is not the first time a senior British politician has been targeted by an impersonator.

UK PM Burnham Duped By Impersonator Of Top Trump Aide

Loading

Continue Reading

International

US Teen Charged With Killing Mother, Brother After ChatGPT Searches

Published

on

US Teen Charged With Killing Mother, Brother After ChatGPT Searches

US Teen Charged With Killing Mother, Brother After ChatGPT Searches

A 17-year-old Massachusetts boy, Arjun Aravind, has been charged with murdering his mother and 14-year-old brother after prosecutors said he used ChatGPT to search for “theoretical ideas or fantasy stories” about killing his family.

The tragic incident occurred on Tuesday, August 11, 2026, at the family’s home on Martha Lane in Acton, an affluent Boston suburb. Aravind, who is on summer break between his junior and senior years of high school, has been ordered held without bail after pleading not guilty to two counts of murder. He was also charged with assault and battery for allegedly using “a dangerous weapon, a Laptop,” to attack the two victims, according to a criminal complaint filed in Concord.

According to a criminal complaint, Aravind used ChatGPT hours before the killings to develop fictional scenarios involving characters murdering their parents. One of the prompts he allegedly typed at 7:53 a.m. on the day of the killings read: “wait when Adrian kills parents I could see him luring one to convo in basement as they have always forced him to do but what excuse would he use to take their phone.” Another prompt reportedly asked: “maybe before killing mom Adrian coldly reveals.” Middlesex County District Attorney Marian Ryan said the teenager had been demonstrating “concerning behavior” involving internet activity and ChatGPT searches related to violence against his family. She described the searches as resembling “Gothic novel kind of stories” – fictional scenarios that investigators believe related directly to threats against his family. “He was engaged in the use of ChatGPT in creating fantasy stories, kind of the gothic novel kind of stories, asking questions, creating characters, asking what about this if this happened to that, and they seem to appear to relate to threats to his family,” Ryan said.

READ ALSO:

Police were called to the family home shortly after 6:30 p.m. after Aravind’s father, who was at work, requested a welfare check. The father became concerned when a tutor scheduled for a 4 p.m. appointment was unable to get inside and repeated calls to the family went unanswered. Officers who entered the home found Siddharth Aravind dead on the first floor with “massive trauma to the head” lying in a pool of blood. His mother, Sudha Venkatesan, 45, was found in the basement with “heavy trauma” to her head and face, along with a puncture wound to her stomach consistent with an object being used as a weapon. Prosecutors described “obvious signs of a physical and violent struggle” at the home, with both victims suffering blunt-force trauma. Investigators found a heavily damaged, bloodied laptop computer at the scene, which they believe was used during the attack. A bent utensil, possibly a knife with an orange handle, was also recovered. Prosecutors said it was “apparent that blunt force trauma was used on both individuals.”

Court documents indicate that Aravind had been experiencing “behavioral issues” and had been diagnosed with autism. His father had become so concerned about his son’s recent behavior and internet activity that the family had begun hiding knives in the house to prevent him from accessing them. His father also told police that Aravind was prohibited from having a cellphone “due to some prior behavior.” Authorities had previous contact with the family when Aravind was reported missing in 2025, though that incident was treated as a runaway case with no threats of violence. The family had recently moved to Acton partly because of its schools and support system for their children, according to Aravind’s lawyer.

After the killings, Aravind left the home in his mother’s 2014 green Honda Accord. Police located the vehicle at about 3:40 a.m. the following morning in a parking lot about 13 miles away in Wayland, Massachusetts. Aravind was found asleep inside the vehicle and was arrested without incident. Investigators found bedding, a laptop, a cellphone, his mother’s pocketbook, and large quantities of cereal and protein energy bars in the car. According to the complaint, a person whose name was redacted had purchased more than $2,000 worth of cereal and energy bars from a nearby supermarket at about 4 p.m. on the day of the killings, telling an employee the items were for resale. Aravind reportedly used a credit card believed to belong to his mother for the purchase. Aravind’s defense attorney, Debra DeWitt, told reporters that her client “did not even realize they were dead” when he left the house. She has requested a psychological evaluation for the teenager. DeWitt described the situation as tragic, saying the father “just wants help for his son.” Aravind is due back in court on September 11 for a probable cause hearing. OpenAI, the developer of ChatGPT, has not commented on the allegations. The charges against Aravind remain unproven in court.

US Teen Charged With Killing Mother, Brother After ChatGPT Searches

Loading

Continue Reading

International

Iran’s Army Chief Offers $30,000 Reward for Capturing or Killing US Troops

Published

on

Iran's Army Chief Offers $30,000 Reward for Capturing or Killing US Troops 
Iranian Army commander-in-chief Amir Hatami

Iran’s Army Chief Offers $30,000 Reward for Capturing or Killing US Troops 

General Amir Hatami frames bounty as a “popular initiative” as 50,000 US troops remain deployed across the region and CENTCOM commander concludes strategic tour

Iran’s army commander-in-chief has announced a $30,000 reward for any Iranian who kills or captures a United States service member, according to Iranian news agency WANA, marking the latest escalation in the ongoing war of words and bounties between Tehran and Washington. General Amir Hatami said the money would be provided by “the Iranian people,” framing the bounty as a popular rather than a state initiative, in what appears to be a calculated effort to mobilize civilian support against American military personnel while maintaining plausible deniability for the Iranian government. The announcement, which follows a pattern of Iranian bounties targeting US personnel, comes as regional tensions continue to escalate and more than 50,000 American troops remain deployed across the Middle East in support of ongoing operations against Iran.

The latest bounty announcement is part of an escalating war of rewards between the United States and Iran that has intensified throughout 2026. In May, senior lawmaker and National Security Council chairman Ebrahim Azizi said Iran’s parliament was preparing to vote on a bill that would award €50 million to anyone who kills United States President Donald Trump, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, or US Central Command commander Admiral Brad Cooper—signaling that the $30,000 figure may represent only the latest in a series of escalating bounty offers. Hatami’s framing of the reward as a “popular initiative” rather than a state program allows Iranian officials to deny that Tehran actively plots assassinations of foreign leaders, even as officials continue making threats against American and Israeli figures. This dual-track approach—public denials alongside escalating rhetoric—has become a hallmark of Iran’s messaging strategy amid the ongoing conflict.

READ ALSO:

The United States has responded in kind with its own bounty programs targeting Iranian leadership. In March 2026, the US State Department’s “Reward for Justice” program issued $10 million bounties** for information on 15 senior Iranian military and political officials, including Iran’s newly appointed Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei and nine other senior officials from the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and Iranian government security, intelligence, and interior departments. The US program offered informants “an opportunity to receive rewards and relocation opportunities,” according to published announcements. Washington has previously imposed sanctions and criminal charges in response to alleged Iranian assassination plots, including a **$20 million reward for information on an IRGC operative accused of plotting to kill former national security adviser John Bolton. President Trump has also previously warned Iran of devastating consequences should any American be harmed.

The latest bounty announcement came as CENTCOM Commander Admiral Brad Cooper wrapped up a 10-day trip to the Middle East on Saturday, visiting six countries and the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier in the Arabian Sea. More than 50,000 US troops are currently deployed across the region in support of ongoing operations against Iran, making them potential targets of the newly announced bounty. The strategic deployment represents a significant American military presence that Iranian officials have repeatedly warned they are prepared to confront. Iranian military advisor Mohsen Rezaei previously warned that Iran is prepared to capture “thousands of US soldiers” if Washington launches a ground offensive, and has discussed setting a $1 billion ransom price for each captive American soldier.

The $30,000 bounty represents a significant sum in Iran, where the average annual income is substantially lower, and analysts suggest the reward structure is designed to create a “people’s army” dynamic where economic necessity could drive civilians to target US military personnel. This strategy complicates conventional military responses and expands the threat landscape beyond formal military engagements, transforming ordinary Iranian citizens into potential combatants motivated by financial reward. For the United States, the bounty creates a difficult security calculus, as American military personnel operating in or near Iranian territory now face the additional threat of potential attacks from Iranian civilians, not just from formal military forces. The United States has not formally responded to the latest announcement, though previous US administrations have demonstrated a willingness to escalate military and economic pressure in response to Iranian threats.

Iran’s Army Chief Offers $30,000 Reward for Capturing or Killing US Troops 

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending