Politics
Jonathan constitutionally eligible to contest in 2027, Onoh replies Onanuga
Jonathan constitutionally eligible to contest in 2027, Onoh replies Onanuga
President Bola Tinubu’s former southeast spokesman Denge Josef Onoh, has confirmed that former President Goodluck Jonathan is constitutionally qualified to run for Nigeria’s presidency in the 2027 election.
Onoh’s remark came after Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, cautioned on Monday that Jonathan’s eligibility for the 2027 fight could be resolved by the court.
However, Onoh disagreed with Onanuga, telling him that the subject had previously been settled in Jonathan’s favor and could not be revisited except for a wild legal pursuit trip.
Onoh stated that it is up to Nigerians to determine who leads them and that President Bola Tinubu’s administration will not infringe on any opponents’ right to contest.
Onoh, speaking to journalists in Yenegoa, Bayelsa State, on Tuesday after receiving a certified true copy of the judgment, stated that Jonathan’s eligibility under constitutional term limits is already a settled legal precedent established by unchallenged judicial rulings that confirmed Jonathan’s eligibility to contest future elections.
“Therefore, President Tinubu should not be deceived by anyone telling him otherwise. This was exactly how Jonathan’s inner cabal during the buildup to the 2015 elections deceived him into believing that he was invisible and that Nigerians loved him, to the extent that he was so carried away that he felt invisible and never saw Tinubu coming.
“Tinubu was the invisible magician that cast the spell that led to Jonathan’s loss at the polls. The president should not fall in the same trap by the voices that surround him now. The one major sincere voice he should listen to is his wife; many will betray him in the coming months,” said Onoh.
READ ALSO:
- Sacked workers: FG, PENGASSAN, Dangote finally reach agreement
- ‘We’re racing against time’: Full text of President Tinubu’s independence anniversary speech
- Nigeria easy to govern with honest leadership, says Obasanjo
Onoh further noted that in May 2022, a binding and unappealed judgment of the Federal High Court in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State (Suit No. FHC/YNG/CS/86/2022) issued a final finding in a lawsuit brought by APC members Andy Solomon and Ibidiye Abraham against Jonathan, the APC, and the INEC.
Justice Isa H. Dashen ruled that Goodluck Jonathan is constitutionally able to run for the presidency of Nigeria again.
The court reasoned that Jonathan’s assumption of office on May 6, 2010, following the death of President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, was not an election under Section 137(1)(b) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), but rather a succession to complete Yar’Adua’s unexpired term, invoking the doctrine of necessity and not counting against the two-term limit for elected mandates.
Onoh stated that Jonathan was elected only once, in the 2011 presidential election, and fulfilled a complete four-year term until 2015; his 2015 candidacy was a legal reelection attempt, although he was defeated at the polls, but he did not exhaust his constitutional allowance.
“The 2018 constitutional amendment (via the Fourth Alteration Act), which added Section 137(3) to bar anyone sworn in twice from further contests, does not apply retroactively to Jonathan. The amendment postdated his tenures (2010–2015). It cannot retroactively disqualify rights accrued under the pre-amendment framework.”
Onoh stated that ex-post facto laws are not permitted in Nigeria’s constitutional democracy, a principle supported by precedents such as the Court of Appeal’s 2015 ruling in Cyriacus Njoku v. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (2015) LPELR-24496(CA), which similarly excluded his 2010 oath from term-counting calculations.
Despite the 90-day window provided by the Constitution and applicable election legislation, Onoh said that neither the plaintiffs nor any other party appealed the 2022 verdict. Over three years later (as of September 2025), the verdict remains final and binding under the doctrine of res judicata, preventing relitigation of the same problems between the same parties.
READ ALSO:
- Lagos opens recruitment portal for teaching job
- Mandy Kiss unveiled as ambassador for Lagos anti-drug campaign
- Atiku, El-Rufai, Ayu, others visit Olubadan days after missing coronation
“Hence, I urge Mr. President not to listen to anyone who comes to spin him with legal possibilities of Jonathan’s eligibility because Nigerian jurisprudence, including Supreme Court decisions like Marwa v. Nyako (2012) 6 NWLR (Pt. 1296) 200, upholds such precedents to ensure legal certainty and prevent endless challenges to settled rights.
“With due respect to Mr. Onanuga, his invocation of future court scrutiny, while respectful of judicial authority, ignores this finality due to the statute of limitations and finality; hence, any hypothetical challenger today would face dismissal for delay, as the core facts (Jonathan’s oaths and elections) are historical and were adjudicated in 2022.”
Onoh stated that the Supreme Court has frequently rejected “stale” cases that could have been appealed sooner (e.g., A.G. Federation v. A.G. Abia State (2001) 11 NWLR (Pt. 725) 689).
He also highlighted a 2013 Federal High Court verdict (Suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/231/2013, Justice Mudashiru Oniyangi) that cleared Jonathan to run in 2015 and was not appealed, which served as the foundation for the 2022 decision.
“This chain of unassailed judgments creates an impregnable legal shield. So, in my opinion, eligibility is a settled constitutional right, not open to political conjecture. I’m aware many critics in the past have framed opposition as a “risk” for parties fielding him, acknowledging the unresolved tension with the 2018 amendment, but the 2022 ruling resolves it in Jonathan’s favor.
“In essence, the matter is not pending a “jury” (or judiciary) trial; it was conclusively decided. Suggesting otherwise risks undermining judicial authority by implying courts must revisit final verdicts at political whim, eroding the stability essential to Nigeria’s electoral process.
“I owe Mr. President the truth before he’s betrayed again by politicians waving successful statistics around him without any knowledge of how Nigerians truly perceive your administration, which isn’t encouraging at the moment, but it’s within your powers to change the narratives to your favor.
“To honor the rule of law, if Jonathan enters the 2027 race, I advise President Tinubu to engage on visions for economic revival, security, and unity. This elevates the conversation, respecting Jonathan’s cleared path while focusing on voters’ priorities. Nigeria’s democracy thrives when legal finality frees space for ideas, not recycled litigation,” Onoh said.
Jonathan constitutionally eligible to contest in 2027, Onoh replies Onanuga
![]()
Entertainment
“We Don’t Want to See You in Edo Again” — Gov Okpebholo’s Aide Declares War on Davido
“We Don’t Want to See You in Edo Again” — Gov Okpebholo’s Aide Declares War on Davido
![]()
Politics
2027: Wike Declares Adeleke Belongs to Tinubu Camp, Predicts ‘Largest Rainbow Coalition’
Politics
2027: South-East Leaders Clash Over Igbo Presidency Feasibility
2027: South-East Leaders Clash Over Igbo Presidency Feasibility
As the 2027 presidential election draws closer, a fierce debate has erupted over the prospects of an Igbo presidency, with political stakeholders divided on whether the dream is attainable or destined to fail. The controversy took centre stage on an Enugu-based Dream FM radio programme, monitored by THE WHISTLER, where contributors offered sharply contrasting views on the political future of the South-East. The discussion comes at a critical juncture, with the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) having zoned its presidential ticket to the South for a single four-year term, clearing the way for Peter Obi, while prominent Igbo figures like Minister of Works David Umahi and a faction of Ohanaeze Ndigbo have publicly endorsed President Bola Tinubu’s re-election.
Dr. Amos Ogbonna, a human rights lawyer and Executive Director of the Centre for Non-Violence and Justice, made a passionate case for Igbo presidency during the radio programme. According to Ogbonna, there is a secret pact by the Nigerian federation to ensure that an Igbo man never becomes president. “Many people across the regions say they would never be alive to see an Igbo man emerge president of Nigeria. When you talk about long-term aspirations of Ndigbo, it is a mirage. Nigeria has a conspiracy and phobia against the Igbo,” Ogbonna declared. The lawyer argued that 2027 represents the only realistic opportunity for an Igbo presidency. He traced the history of power rotation since 1999, noting that the South-East has consistently been sidelined despite supporting other regions. He recalled that after the June 12 injustice, the Yoruba were compensated with the presidency, but the Igbo have never been similarly compensated for the civil war. Ogbonna also claimed that former President Muhammadu Buhari once promised that after his tenure, the Igbo would produce the president, a promise he said was later abandoned. He urged South-Easterners to unite and fight for the presidency, insisting that power would not be handed over voluntarily. “We are left with the remaining four years. By 2031, power will definitely return to the North. This is not a call for violence, but a reminder that we have to struggle for this power; they will not give us. If we don’t get it, we should be happy that we have tried,” he said.
Comrade Fidelis Edeh, a former labour leader and Executive Director of Service Accord Initiative, offered a more pragmatic perspective. He called on the Igbo to organise themselves strategically, acknowledging that the region must not run away from the consequences of the civil war. “We operate a multiparty system. We don’t need anybody to promise us. We usually contest. We must never run away from the consequences of the civil war,” Edeh said. Edeh also criticised the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for sabotaging the Igbo presidency. He noted that from 1999, the Igbo camped in the PDP, which later abandoned zoning principles that would have favoured an Igbo candidate. He also accused Peter Obi of political inconsistency, noting that Obi has changed political parties multiple times, unlike Tinubu who has remained in one party. “President Bola Tinubu has remained in one political party up to this point. Obi was chairman of the Southeast Governors’ Forum when he was governor. But immediately he left office, he joined PDP, and abandoned APGA. This is the time to negotiate,” Edeh said.
READ ALSO:
- 2027: Senator Saliu Mustapha quits APC after losing Kwara governorship ticket
- 2027 Election: NDC Tells Atiku to Step Aside, Support Peter Obi to Remove Tinubu
- Delta Governor Reveals ₦503,000 Monthly Salary, Says Permanent Secretaries Earn ₦900,000
Minister of Works David Umahi, a former governor of Ebonyi State, has emerged as one of the most vocal opponents of Peter Obi’s presidential ambition. Speaking during an inspection tour of federal projects in Ebonyi State, Umahi insisted that the South-East votes alone cannot make Obi president. “Our brother, Peter Obi, is contesting for the presidency of the entire country, not the presidency of the South East. The votes of the South East alone cannot produce a president. We must be strategic,” Umahi stated. Umahi further claimed that Obi is not as popular in the South-East as he believes, describing his 2023 performance as an “accident of history.” He predicted that the South-East would massively vote for President Tinubu in 2027. “Who is after him? Nobody is after him. Because, you know, we want him to be on the ballot, to make the victory very sweet, you know, because he says that South East is his catchment area, and I’m saying that South East is not his catchment area,” Umahi said. Umahi urged South-Easterners to align strategically with the ruling APC to sustain the tempo of infrastructural development in the region. He pointed to ongoing federal road projects worth over N248 billion in Ebonyi State as proof of Tinubu’s commitment to the South-East.
Senator Onyekachi Nwebonyi, representing Ebonyi North, echoed similar sentiments in an interview with Channels Television. He argued that the current political arrangement does not favour an Igbo candidate for the presidency. “Peter Obi is coming at the wrong time. Even if our son comes to contest, it is very clear that the political permutation, as at present, does not favour an Igbo man. President Bola Tinubu and other APC candidates will win the south-east come the 2027 general election,” Nwebonyi declared.
A faction of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, led by Deputy President-General Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro, has declared that an Igbo presidency is “not feasible” under the NDC. The group described the NDC as a regional party driven by Ijaw interests under the leadership of Senator Seriake Dickson. “We therefore urge Mr. Peter Obi to reconsider his 2027 presidential ambition in the greater interest of the Igbo people,” the faction said in a statement. The same faction has backed Tinubu’s re-election, describing it as a “strategic pathway” for the South-East. It even proposed a “2031 Vice Presidency Initiative” to position an Igbo leader for the vice-presidential slot under the APC, with Umahi and Chimaroke Nnamani identified as potential contenders. However, another faction of Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide, led by President General Senator Azuta Mbata, has dismissed reports suggesting no Igbo person would contest the 2027 election.
Despite the opposition, the Obi-Kwankwaso Movement (OK Movement) has intensified grassroots mobilisation in the South-East. At a summit in Enugu, the group declared its commitment to championing the ideals of a Peter Obi-Rabiu Kwankwaso alliance, which it said centres on inclusiveness and equal opportunity. The movement has directed its coordinators at state, local government, ward, and polling unit levels to commence aggressive sensitisation and membership mobilisation under the NDC. Additionally, the NDC has formally zoned its presidential ticket to the South for a single four-year term, with the vice-presidential slot zoned to the North. The party said the decision reflects its commitment to justice, inclusiveness and national stability. In his remarks at the party’s convention, Obi said: “We are not changing political platforms for transactional reasons. We are making a principled decision to find a platform that gives us the opportunity to build a new Nigeria that is possible.”
Adding another layer to the debate, Hon. Kasimu Maigari, a member of the ADC National Legislators’ Forum, claimed that Peter Obi’s political trajectory has set the Igbo presidency ambition back by two decades. “My worry is not if Peter Obi will win the presidency; my worry is that Peter Obi has pushed Igbo’s 20 years backwards from getting the Presidency,” Maigari said during an interview on ARISE News. He argued that many of Obi’s supporters are driven by personal political ambitions rather than long-term ideological commitment, and that if Obi were not on the ballot, many of them would struggle to win elections independently.
The camp of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has also weighed in, warning opposition parties that insisting on zoning the 2027 presidential ticket to the South would amount to entering the contest “already defeated.” In a statement by his media aide Olusola Sanni, Atiku’s camp argued that no incumbent president has ever been defeated by an opposition challenger from the same geopolitical bloc. It also accused proponents of southern zoning of “intellectual dishonesty,” noting that the South would have held power for approximately 18 years by 2027, against roughly 10 years for the North. “The Southeast deserves a sustainable and credible pathway to national leadership — not symbolic tokenism or bespoke arrangements tailored to satisfy one individual’s ambition,” the statement said.
As the 2027 election approaches, the opposition faces mounting pressure to present a united front. The Igbo Presidency Project (IPP), a non-political group, has called for rotation of power among regions, arguing that granting the South-East the opportunity to produce a president would deepen national unity. However, with key stakeholders divided and political realignments shifting, the dream of an Igbo presidency remains uncertain. As Ogbonna put it: “We are going to get united and fight for the presidency of Nigeria for the remaining four years. If we don’t get it, we should be happy that we have tried.”
2027: South-East Leaders Clash Over Igbo Presidency Feasibility
![]()
-
Insurance3 days agoNAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
-
metro2 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
metro3 days agoUS Court Grants Four-Day Extension for Release of Tinubu Drug-Trafficking Records
-
Business3 days agoFuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele
-
Auto3 days agoNew Mercedes-Benz Atego’s technology, performance raise benchmark in Nigeria’s truck business
-
metro3 days agoPolice Nab 49-Year-Old With Pump-Action Rifle, 50 Ammunition Rounds In Anambra
-
metro2 days agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose
