Wike speaks on possible role if Jonathan declares for 2027 presidency - Newstrends
Connect with us

Politics

Wike speaks on possible role if Jonathan declares for 2027 presidency

Published

on

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike
Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike

Wike speaks on possible role if Jonathan declares for 2027 presidency

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, says he will not mince words if former President Goodluck Jonathan consults him about returning to the presidential race in 2027.

Wike made the remark on Friday while addressing journalists in Abuja amid growing speculation that Jonathan may be eyeing a comeback on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

“Jonathan has never told me. He has never called me one day to say, ‘look, I’m being pressured to run,’” Wike said. “If he calls me and asks me, I’ll be able to tell him my mind, what I feel.”

Although Jonathan has yet to declare his intentions, political circles have been abuzz following comments by former Minister of Information, Professor Jerry Gana, who hinted last month that the ex-president would contest in 2027.

Speaking after the PDP congress in Minna, Niger State, Gana said Nigerians had seen the performance of other leaders since Jonathan left office and were now clamouring for his return.

“In 2015, former President Goodluck Jonathan said his ambition was not worth the blood of Nigerians. After him, another President ruled for eight years, and now another has ruled for two years,” Gana said.

READ ALSO:

“Nigerians have seen the difference, and the difference is very clear. Nigerians are now asking us to bring back our friend, former President Goodluck Jonathan. I can confirm that Goodluck Ebele Jonathan will contest the presidential election in 2027 as PDP candidate.”

Jonathan has reportedly held several strategic meetings with key political figures, further fuelling speculation about a possible return.

However, Wike, who once shared a close political alliance with Jonathan, has previously cautioned him against re-entering the race.

At an earlier media briefing, Wike warned the former president not to fall into the hands of political actors who, he claimed, deceived him in the past.

“I know Jonathan very well. He has international respect and should maintain that,” Wike said. “These same people weighing Jonathan down are the ones who played him in 2015. They are only trying to cause confusion in the party.”

“People pushing Jonathan, what strength do they have? Were they not the same people who worked against him in 2015?” he added.

As the 2027 election season inches closer, the PDP is expected to face internal debates over its flagbearer, with Jonathan’s possible return likely to stir fresh political calculations.

Wike speaks on possible role if Jonathan declares for 2027 presidency

Politics

ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election

Published

on

Election polling unit

ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has recorded its first polling unit victory in the ongoing Area Council Elections in the Federal Capital Territory, defeating the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in what supporters have described as a symbolic breakthrough.

The opposition coalition secured the win at Polling Unit 076, Sani Abacha Estate, Wuse Zone 4, within the Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), where the ADC chairmanship candidate, Dr. Moses Paul, cast his vote.

Out of 10 ballots recorded at the polling unit, ADC polled seven votes, while APC received two votes, with one vote declared invalid, according to results announced by electoral officials at the unit.

Low Voter Turnout Observed

The election across several parts of the FCT was marked by notably low voter turnout, a development that has drawn reactions from candidates and observers. Dr. Paul attributed the situation to movement restrictions announced ahead of the poll by the FCT authorities.

He argued that the directive caused confusion among residents and discouraged voter participation, describing the atmosphere as unusual and unsettling.

READ ALSO:

“I have lived in AMAC for about 40 years and I have never witnessed anything like this,” Paul said, adding that the situation felt like “a state of emergency” over what he described as unwarranted restrictions.

Allegations of Intimidation and Vote Buying

While commending electoral officials at his polling unit for what he described as professional conduct and adherence to due process, the ADC candidate raised concerns over alleged intimidation of his party’s agents in other locations.

According to him, reports reaching his campaign indicated that ADC agents in Takum Shara and parts of Kabusa Ward, including Dogongada and Shereti, were allegedly threatened and intimidated during the voting process.

Paul alleged that some agents were told they could be maimed or killed, claiming such actions were aimed at suppressing voters and influencing the election in favour of the ruling party.

He also accused political actors of engaging in vote buying, describing the practice as criminal and harmful to Nigeria’s democratic process. These allegations, however, had not been independently verified at the time of reporting.

Confidence Amid Challenges

Despite the challenges, Paul expressed confidence that the ADC would perform strongly in the overall election, insisting that the will of the people would ultimately prevail.

He urged residents of the FCT and Nigerians at large to resist intimidation, reject electoral malpractice, and demand accountable and people-centred leadership.

As collation continues across wards and area councils, observers note that while a single polling unit win does not determine the final outcome, the ADC’s result against the APC in the heart of Abuja carries symbolic political significance amid growing voter dissatisfaction and calls for alternatives.

ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election

Continue Reading

Politics

Peter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027

Published

on

Peter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’

Peter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027

Supporters of former Peter Obi have unveiled a new grassroots political initiative, the “Village Boys Movement”, in Abuja ahead of the 2027 presidential election. The movement is designed to mobilise rural and local communities and offer a value-driven alternative to President Bola Tinubu’s “City Boys” network, promoted by his son, Seyi Tinubu.

The movement was launched as a platform to engage grassroots supporters, promote ethical leadership, and advocate accountability in Nigerian politics. Its convener, Maazị Tochukwu Ezeoke, introduced himself as the “Village Headmaster” and described the group as a disciplined and principled organisation built on responsibility, honesty, and transparency.

Speaking at the Abuja launch, Ezeoke emphasised that the Village Boys Movement is not designed to target urban populations. Rather, the name is symbolic, reflecting the movement’s focus on values such as ethical leadership, productivity, and community-driven accountability. He said, “The issue is not geography but the source of wealth, the ethics of leadership, and the structure of accountability. We represent a Nigeria that works before it earns and earns before it spends.”

READ ALSO:

Organisers highlighted that the initiative will primarily operate in rural communities, advocating civic engagement, political education, and grassroots mobilisation. The platform aims to strengthen Peter Obi’s outreach beyond urban centres, complementing existing youth networks while encouraging active participation in the democratic process.

Political analysts note that the launch of the Village Boys Movement signals a strategic effort by Obi’s supporters to counter the influence of Tinubu’s City Boys, which has historically rallied urban youth support. The initiative underscores the growing importance of grassroots campaigns in Nigeria’s 2027 elections and reflects an emphasis on values-based politics as a tool to attract voters nationwide.

The movement has pledged to expand operations across multiple states, engage community leaders, and empower citizens at the local level, marking a significant step in Nigeria’s evolving political landscape ahead of the 2027 polls.

Peter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027

Continue Reading

Politics

AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC

Published

on

Zadna Dantani

AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC

Less than 48 hours before the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Area Council elections, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chairmanship candidate for Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), Hon. Zadna Dantani, has pulled out of the race and declared support for the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Hon. Christopher Zakka Maikalangu.

Dantani’s withdrawal follows a similar move in Bwari Area Council, where the PDP candidate, Hon. Julius Adamu, stepped down in favour of APC’s Joshua Ishaku Musa, signalling a major shift in political alignment ahead of Saturday’s elections.

In a formal declaration, Dantani explained that his decision was influenced by high-level intervention from the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, whom he described as both “party leader and FCT leader.”

READ ALSO:

“I want to sincerely appreciate everyone who supported us. This decision is not about personal interests. The Honourable Minister of FCT, Barrister Nyesom Wike, emphasized that this is a brotherhood election. I am aligning with APC in support of the good works of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” Dantani said.

Dantani also confirmed that he had completed all legal formalities, including submitting a letter of withdrawal to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), stating that the move was entirely voluntary and made after consultations with family and stakeholders.

He called on his supporters across AMAC’s 12 wards to vote for APC’s Christopher Maikalangu, describing the alignment as a step toward unity and effective governance in the territory.

Political analysts note that these high-profile PDP withdrawals in both AMAC and Bwari have reshaped the FCT political landscape, increasing APC’s chances of sweeping the elections and stirring debates about PDP’s internal cohesion ahead of upcoming local and national contests.

AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending