metro
Bandits Kill Six, Burn Police Station in Fresh Niger Attacks
Bandits Kill Six, Burn Police Station in Fresh Niger Attacks
At least six people have been killed and a police station razed following coordinated attacks by suspected bandits on rural communities in Niger State, intensifying fears over growing insecurity in the area.
The attacks began late on Friday night and continued into the early hours of Saturday, targeting Tungan-Makeri and Konkoso communities in Borgu Local Government Area. Residents said the attackers arrived in large numbers, shooting indiscriminately, setting houses on fire, and forcing villagers to flee in panic to neighbouring settlements and surrounding bushes.
An eyewitness from Zagatina village, located along the route reportedly used by the attackers, described the operation as highly coordinated, with dozens of motorcycles transporting the gunmen.
“I counted about 41 motorcycles, each carrying two or three people. Some even had women and children with them. When I realised they were approaching, I hid in the bush as they passed behind my house,” the resident said.
By the time the attackers withdrew from Tungan-Makeri, six residents had reportedly lost their lives, several homes were destroyed, and many families displaced. Some villagers were also declared missing, raising fears of possible abductions during the raid.
The assailants were said to have moved on to Konkoso in the early hours of Saturday, where they allegedly set a police station on fire, destroying official property and escalating tension in the area. Residents described the attack as brazen and prolonged, noting the absence of visible security personnel throughout the hours-long operation.
READ ALSO:
- US Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
- Terror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
- FG Drags El-Rufai to Court Over Alleged NSA Phone Interception
Some villagers later reported sighting an aircraft belonging to the Nigerian Air Force hovering over Tungan-Makeri after the initial assault, suggesting that aerial surveillance may have contributed to the eventual withdrawal of the attackers.
Confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer of the Niger State Police Command, Wasiu Abiodun, said the command received reports that suspected bandits invaded Tungan-Makeri at about 3:00 a.m., entering through the Shafachi axis of Borgu LGA.
He confirmed that six persons were killed, several houses were burnt, and an unspecified number of residents were abducted, adding that the attackers later advanced toward Konkoso before fleeing.
According to him, joint security teams have since been deployed to the affected communities to assess the level of damage, pursue the attackers, and rescue abducted victims.
The latest violence highlights persistent security challenges in Borgu LGA, where armed groups are believed to exploit vast forest routes and porous borders. Residents and community leaders have renewed calls on authorities to strengthen security presence, establish permanent security bases, and improve surveillance in vulnerable communities to prevent further attacks.
Bandits Kill Six, Burn Police Station in Fresh Niger Attacks
![]()
metro
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction on Osun State Government bank accounts after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu directed the agency to vacate the order.
The affected accounts, held with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, are now operational, according to confirmations from both the Presidency and an aide to Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.
A Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the restriction had been removed, saying the EFCC could not disregard the President’s directive.
“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” Ajayi said.
An aide to Governor Adeleke, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the Post No Debit (PND) restriction had been vacated and that the state government’s accounts were functioning again.
The EFCC had imposed the restriction on August 5, 2026, as part of an investigation into the alleged fraudulent handling of about N11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).
The commission said the investigation had been ongoing since March 2026 and was aimed at preventing the alleged diversion of public funds.
The decision to restrict the accounts, however, generated significant controversy because it came shortly before the August 15 Osun State governorship election.
READ ALSO:
- IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
- Enugu ADC Chairman Found Dead Near Residence in Suspected Murder
- N3.14 Trillion Spent on Electricity Subsidy in 31 Months – FG
The timing prompted allegations from the Osun State Government and its supporters that the EFCC action was politically motivated and intended to weaken Adeleke ahead of the election. The commission rejected the allegations and maintained that its action was connected to an ongoing financial investigation.
The dispute escalated after the President intervened and directed the EFCC to take steps to vacate the restriction.
Tinubu expressed concern about the timing of the action and its potential implications for public confidence in the electoral process, while also maintaining that anti-corruption agencies should carry out their responsibilities professionally.
The account restriction had also triggered a legal battle between the Osun State Government and the EFCC.
The state government approached the Federal High Court in Abuja to challenge the restriction and sought N2 billion in damages, arguing that the EFCC’s action unlawfully interfered with the state’s access to its funds.
The legal dispute changed following Tinubu’s intervention and the subsequent lifting of the restriction.
After being declared winner of the governorship election, Adeleke directed the Osun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the suit against the EFCC.
Adeleke said the President’s intervention had addressed the immediate dispute and that there was therefore no need to continue with the case.
With the accounts now operational, the immediate confrontation between the Osun State Government and the EFCC appears to have eased.
However, the lifting of the account restriction does not necessarily mean that the underlying investigation has been discontinued. The EFCC’s earlier allegations concerning the handling of about N11 billion remain separate from the decision to restore access to the accounts.
The development has also renewed discussions about the relationship between anti-corruption agencies and elected governments, particularly when financial investigations take place close to major elections.
For the Osun State Government, the restoration of access to its accounts removes an immediate financial constraint and allows the state to continue accessing funds required for government operations.
For the EFCC, the development means the financial investigation, if still ongoing, would have to proceed through the appropriate legal and investigative channels without the earlier account restriction.
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
![]()
metro
IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
![]()
metro
Enugu ADC Chairman Found Dead Near Residence in Suspected Murder
-
metro2 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
Auto3 days agoNew Mercedes-Benz Atego’s technology, performance raise benchmark in Nigeria’s truck business
-
Business3 days agoFuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele
-
metro2 days agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose
-
News2 days agoTinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND
-
Politics2 days agoAtiku Dismisses Obasanjo’s Political Clout, Says Ex-President Has ‘No Electoral Value’
-
metro1 day agoHistory in Makkah: Nigerian Teen Wins Prestigious Qur’anic Contest, Breaks 46-Year Gender Barrier
