International
Putin Discusses Iran Uranium Storage Plan With Xi in Beijing
Putin Discusses Iran Uranium Storage Plan With Xi in Beijing
Russian President Vladimir Putin has discussed with Chinese President Xi Jinping the possibility of transporting and storing Iran’s enriched uranium in Russia, the Kremlin confirmed on Thursday following the conclusion of bilateral talks in Beijing.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Putin raised the proposal during closed-door discussions with Xi on Wednesday as Moscow and Beijing reviewed growing tensions surrounding Iran’s nuclear programme and broader Middle East security concerns.
According to Peskov, Russia remains willing to assist in diplomatic efforts aimed at reducing confrontation between Iran and Western powers by offering to temporarily store Tehran’s enriched uranium stockpile on Russian territory.
Russia first floated the proposal in June 2025 and has repeatedly promoted it as a practical confidence-building measure that could help revive stalled nuclear negotiations and reduce fears over Iran’s uranium enrichment activities.
Moscow previously handled the transfer and storage of Iran’s low-enriched uranium under the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), the international nuclear agreement reached between Iran and world powers.
READ ALSO:
- Court Convicts Two Ex-Bank Staff Over ₦7.8m Financial Fraud
- BREAKING: JAMB Releases 279 Withheld UTME Results After Malpractice Review
- BREAKING: Rivers Governorship Race Takes New Turn As Fubara Emerges Under NDC
Putin has cited that arrangement as evidence that Russia possesses both the technical infrastructure and diplomatic experience needed to manage such a process again if all parties agree.
Peskov said Moscow continues to maintain communication with “all interested parties” and is prepared to continue mediation efforts aimed at de-escalating tensions around Iran’s nuclear activities.
However, the United States has publicly rejected the idea of transferring Iran’s enriched uranium to Russia as part of any future nuclear framework.
Washington has instead continued to push for the full dismantlement or severe restriction of Iran’s nuclear programme under any renewed agreement, arguing that Tehran’s current enrichment levels pose serious proliferation risks.
According to estimates by international nuclear monitoring agencies, Iran currently possesses roughly 450 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60 percent purity — a level significantly above the limits set under the 2015 nuclear deal and technically close to weapons-grade material if further enriched.
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has repeatedly expressed concern over Iran’s growing stockpile and the pace of its enrichment activities since Tehran gradually reduced compliance with the JCPOA following the United States’ withdrawal from the deal in 2018.
China has generally supported diplomatic engagement with Iran and backed efforts to revive negotiations, although Beijing had not publicly commented on Putin’s latest proposal as of Thursday evening.
Iranian officials also did not immediately respond to the Kremlin’s remarks, though Tehran has consistently maintained that its nuclear programme is intended strictly for peaceful civilian purposes, including energy generation and medical research.
The renewed Russian proposal comes amid heightened geopolitical tensions in the Middle East and growing international concern over the future of Iran’s nuclear programme as negotiations between Tehran and Western powers remain deadlocked.
Putin Discusses Iran Uranium Storage Plan With Xi in Beijing
![]()
International
North Korea Fires 10+ Missiles Hours After Trump Signals Fresh Kim Summit
International
Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
![]()
International
US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
Justice Department Unseals 14-Count Superseding Indictment Alleging Massive Hacking Operation Conducted on Behalf of Iranian Government and IRGC
The United States has charged 17 Iranian nationals in connection with an alleged massive cyber-theft campaign that targeted hundreds of universities, private companies, government agencies, and non-governmental organisations across the globe. The US Department of Justice announced on Tuesday that a 14-count superseding indictment had been unsealed against members of the Mabna Institute, an Iran-based company accused of conducting coordinated cyber intrusions since at least 2013, according to multiple reports.
The indictment, which has been assigned to US District Judge Jesse M. Furman in the Southern District of New York, represents one of the most extensive cyber-related prosecutions ever brought against Iranian actors. Nine of the 17 defendants were previously charged in a seven-count indictment announced in March 2018, while Tuesday’s superseding indictment adds eight additional defendants to the case, expanding the scope of the alleged criminal enterprise.
Assistant Attorney General for National Security John Eisenberg stated that the defendants allegedly hacked universities and research institutions worldwide at the behest of entities including Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), stealing large volumes of information and intellectual property. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) also stated that the defendants allegedly operated a “hacking-for-hire” network targeting intellectual property belonging to American and allied universities, companies, and government agencies for the benefit of the Iranian government. The US authorities stressed that an indictment is merely an allegation and that all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
READ ALSO:
- Police Nab 49-Year-Old With Pump-Action Rifle, 50 Ammunition Rounds In Anambra
- WMotors takes Jetour Africa Expedition to Lagos, Puts SUVs to Off-Road Test
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
The alleged hacking campaign targeted a staggering number of victims globally, including 144 US-based universities and 178 foreign universities, totalling 322 academic institutions worldwide. The hackers are alleged to have targeted more than 100,000 university professor accounts globally and successfully compromised about 8,000 accounts across the identified universities. The campaign, which began around 2013 and continued through at least December 2017, targeted academic research and intellectual property across fields including science and technology, engineering, social sciences, and medicine.
The Justice Department said the hackers stole at least 31.5 terabytes of academic data and intellectual property, including journals, theses, dissertations, and electronic books. Some of the stolen material was allegedly sold through websites operated or affiliated with members of the conspiracy, transforming stolen academic resources into a profitable underground enterprise. Beyond universities, the defendants allegedly compromised employee email accounts at at least 42 US-based private companies, 11 foreign companies, and several government agencies and non-governmental organisations.
The alleged hacking campaign extended beyond academic institutions to include several high-profile government and non-governmental organisations. The Justice Department identified the following entities as among those targeted: the US Department of Labor, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the states of Hawaii and Indiana, the United Nations, and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). The superseding indictment also alleges that members of the group targeted HBO and were involved in hacking private companies and government entities, causing victims to incur more than $20 million in investigation and remediation costs.
A central element of the indictment is the alleged connection between the Mabna Institute and Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). The Justice Department alleged that many of the cyber intrusions were conducted on behalf of the IRGC and other Iranian government and university clients. The Mabna Institute was founded around 2013 by Gholamreza Rafatnejad and Ehsan Mohammadi, according to the Justice Department. The organisation allegedly assisted Iranian universities and research institutions in obtaining unauthorised access to scientific resources outside Iran while also providing hacking services to Iranian government and private entities.
This mirrors actions taken by the US Treasury Department in March 2018, when it announced sanctions against the Mabna Institute and 10 individuals, stating that the group had been acting at the behest of the IRGC. The Treasury Department had also noted that one of the hackers involved had attempted to extort $6 million from a US media company and was previously indicted in November 2017, demonstrating a pattern of aggressive cyber-operations and financial extortion.
The US Department of State’s Rewards for Justice programme is offering up to $10 million for information leading to the location of five of the defendants: Behzad Mesri, Mojtaba Galekuhi, Arman Kahzadian, Keyvan Fayaz, and Saber Shahbazi Ballojeh. This substantial reward reflects the seriousness with which US authorities view these alleged cyber-operations and their commitment to bringing the perpetrators to justice.
The case highlights the persistent challenge of state-sponsored cyber-operations and the ongoing efforts by US authorities to hold perpetrators accountable through legal and financial measures. With the charged individuals believed to be outside the United States and no extradition treaty with Iran, their apprehension remains uncertain. However, the US continues to pursue international cooperation and legal avenues to bring them to justice, signalling that such cyber-operations will not go unanswered.
US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
![]()
-
metro2 days agoPalliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
-
Insurance2 days agoNAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
-
Education3 days agoWAEC 2026 results: Schools raise alarm over alleged grading anomalies
-
metro2 days agoLagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Politics2 days ago‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
-
Entertainment3 days agoVeteran Nollywood Actor Ogogo Battles Stage-4 Cancer as Daughters Beg for Treatment
-
Politics3 days agoOsun guber: APC rejects Adeleke’s victory, begins audit of INEC results
-
metro3 days agoOver 50 Killed, Scores Injured as Gunmen Attack Mangu Communities in Plateau
