Politics
BREAKING: Rivers Governorship Race Takes New Turn As Fubara Emerges Under NDC
BREAKING: Rivers Governorship Race Takes New Turn As Fubara Emerges Under NDC
Fresh political drama has erupted in Rivers State after another politician bearing the Fubara name officially entered the 2027 governorship race under the platform of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC).
The development comes barely hours after reports emerged that Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, had withdrawn from the race for the 2027 Rivers governorship election, intensifying political tension ahead of the next electoral cycle.
The new entrant, Blessing Fubara Snr., obtained the NDC governorship nomination and expression of interest forms at the party’s national headquarters in Abuja on Wednesday, immediately sparking fresh conversations across Rivers political circles.
Although Blessing Fubara and Governor Siminalayi Fubara are both from Opobo/Nkoro Local Government Area of Rivers State, it has not been officially confirmed whether they are directly related.
Confirming the development, Rivers State Chairman of the NDC, Hon. Success Jack, said Blessing Fubara is among the party’s governorship aspirants.
“Yes, he obtained his expression of interest form in Abuja, and we are prepared and still preparing to win not only the governorship election but all elections in Rivers State come 2027,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- VIDEO: Fact-checkers knock down claim Soyinka rode okada over N1,500 fuel
- VIDEO: “I’ll Kill Anyone Who Films Me on duty”: Police Officer Issues Death Threat
- 7 Key Facts About Professor Segun Aina, Tinubu’s New JAMB Registrar
The move has further heightened political calculations in Rivers State, especially amid the lingering power struggle involving Governor Fubara and the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike.
Blessing Fubara reportedly defected from the All Progressives Congress (APC) to the NDC about two weeks ago alongside some political associates.
During his reception in Abuja by party stakeholders led by former Bayelsa State Governor and NDC national leader, Senator Seriake Dickson, he reportedly described the NDC as “a moving train.”
According to him, his decision to join the party was driven by the interest of Rivers people and the need for political redirection in the state.
“The soul of Rivers State is at stake,” he reportedly declared during the defection event.
Political observers believe the development signals fresh political realignments ahead of the 2027 Rivers election.
Blessing Fubara Snr. is said to hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Community Development and Adult Education.
He currently serves as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of D’Consiglories LLC and is also described as a grassroots mobiliser, development strategist and urban renewal consultant.
Reports indicate that he previously worked with youth empowerment and employment-generation initiatives linked to the Rivers State Government and the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).
The political crisis between Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his predecessor, Nyesom Wike, has continued to dominate Rivers politics since 2023.
The prolonged rift has triggered repeated clashes involving lawmakers loyal to Wike, disputes over budgets and appointments, impeachment threats, and several failed reconciliation efforts.
Despite interventions reportedly initiated by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the federal government, tensions have persisted within the state’s political structure.
Analysts believe Wike still maintains enormous influence across both the APC and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) structures in Rivers State ahead of the 2027 elections.
Governor Fubara’s reported withdrawal from the governorship race has already generated mixed reactions, with many political watchers now questioning the next phase of Rivers politics.
The emergence of Blessing Fubara under the NDC is expected to further reshape calculations among major political blocs in the state.
BREAKING: Rivers Governorship Race Takes New Turn As Fubara Emerges Under NDC
![]()
Politics
PBAT Door-to-Door Movement Holds Kano Rally, Strengthens APC Ties Ahead of 2027
Politics
Atiku Vows to Restore Fuel Subsidy If Elected in 2027
Politics
Hold Oborevwori Responsible If I’m Attacked, Killed During Campaigns, Omo-Agege Says
Hold Oborevwori Responsible If I’m Attacked, Killed During Campaigns, Omo-Agege Says
Former Deputy Senate President Ovie Omo-Agege has raised alarm over alleged threats to his life and family members emanating from the Delta State Government House, calling on the public and security agencies to hold Governor Sheriff Oborevwori responsible if any harm comes to him, as he made the declaration on Thursday while flagging off his senatorial campaigns in Uvwie Local Government Area, seeking to return to the Senate on the platform of the National Democratic Congress (NDC). The former senator called on the Nigerian public, the international community, civil society organisations, the media and security agencies to take formal note of the alleged threats, stating with grave concern that he notes the disturbing and increasingly credible threats to his life and his family members in Delta State emanating from the Delta State Government House, Asaba, and declaring that should anything untoward happen to him or members of his family, the Nigerian people and more particularly the Urhobo people of Delta Central senatorial district should hold the Governor of Delta State Elder Sheriff Oborevwori responsible and accountable.
Omo-Agege and Governor Oborevwori have been political rivals since the 2023 Delta State governorship election, with Omo-Agege serving as the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) during that election, while Oborevwori contested on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) with the backing of then Governor Ifeanyi Okowa. Oborevwori won the election with 360,234 votes against Omo-Agege’s 240,229 votes, securing victory in 21 of Delta State’s 25 local government areas, and the Supreme Court later affirmed his election, after which Omo-Agege accepted the judgment and congratulated the governor, though both politicians have remained at odds over political leadership and influence in Delta State since then.
READ ALSO:
- Abel Enitan Replaces Walson-Jack as Head of Civil Service as Tinubu Lauds Outgoing HOS
- FG Upgrades Four Lagos Substations, Adds 360MW to Boost Power Supply
- PFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
The rivalry has intensified following Governor Oborevwori’s defection from the PDP to the APC on April 23, 2025, a move that dramatically altered the balance of political forces in Delta State, with Omo-Agege, who remained in the APC after Oborevwori’s defection, eventually leaving the party for the NDC, citing alienation and what he described as the Oborevwori-aligned camp wiping out the party’s legacy structure. Omo-Agege has claimed that Oborevwori defected to the APC out of fear of his political influence, citing his 2023 electoral performance in Delta Central where he polled 115,245 votes against the governor’s 100,089 votes, and queried that if Sheriff believed he was not a threat, why didn’t he stay back in PDP and take him on in 2027, while also accusing the governor’s camp of flouting a directive by President Bola Tinubu that old APC members and new entrants should be integrated through a 60-40 sharing arrangement following the governor’s defection.
Omo-Agege’s latest warning follows a violent incident in July 2026, when Simon Mudi, a protocol aide to Governor Oborevwori, was chased and repeatedly struck with bottles and chairs during an APC Delta Central leaders and stakeholders’ meeting in Effurun, with a video shared on Facebook by Omo-Agege showing participants fleeing in panic as several men pursued Mudi, striking him on the head with bottles and throwing chairs at him while he attempted to escape, and Omo-Agege described the assault as political thuggery, plain and simple, alleging without presenting evidence that the attackers were sponsored. Omo-Agege has called on the Inspector-General of Police, the Commissioner of Police in Delta, and the State Security Service to investigate the alleged threats, prosecute those responsible, and ensure a peaceful political environment before the 2027 general elections, further urging relevant authorities and other stakeholders to take formal notice of his concerns, while Governor Oborevwori had not responded to the allegations as of the time of reporting.
Hold Oborevwori Responsible If I’m Attacked, Killed During Campaigns, Omo-Agege Says
![]()
-
metro2 days agoPalliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
-
Insurance2 days agoNAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
-
Education3 days agoWAEC 2026 results: Schools raise alarm over alleged grading anomalies
-
metro2 days agoLagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Politics2 days ago‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
-
Politics3 days agoOsun guber: APC rejects Adeleke’s victory, begins audit of INEC results
-
Entertainment3 days agoVeteran Nollywood Actor Ogogo Battles Stage-4 Cancer as Daughters Beg for Treatment
-
metro3 days agoOver 50 Killed, Scores Injured as Gunmen Attack Mangu Communities in Plateau

