Gunmen Abduct Health Worker, Wife, Others in Kogi Community - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Gunmen Abduct Health Worker, Wife, Others in Kogi Community

Published

on

Gunmen Abduct Health Worker, Wife, Others in Kogi Community
Kogi State Police Command's Public Relations Officer, Saliu Afuzat Oyiza

Gunmen Abduct Health Worker, Wife, Others in Kogi Community

For the first time in recent history, bandits have polluted the security atmosphere of Iluke, a major settlement in the Bunu district of Kabba-Bunu Local Government AreaKogi State, abducting an unspecified number of persons. The gunmen were said to have invaded the Oke Bukun area in the community in the dead of night at about 1 a.m., on Thursday, May 21, 2026. They whisked away a community health worker popularly called ‘Dr. Ebi’ (omo Kemuna) and his wife. The hoodlums allegedly carried the abductees on motorcycles. Once the victim, who owned a clinic in Oferre, was in their custody, the hoodlums sporadically released bullets as they escaped from town. Iluke has been thrown into fresh fear because of the attack. People in nearby communities in MopAmuro and Ijumu LGAs woke up to the news, triggering panic among them.

The Bunu district has suffered several untold security breaches in recent times. On Monday, May 4, non-state actors operated on the Iluke to Oferre road, shooting randomly and scaring many people away. Jacob, an unsuspecting commercial driver, could not manoeuvre to safety when he suddenly bumped into them. He was forced to a halt and led into the bush at gunpoint. His tormentors eventually made contact with his family, making a demand of N50 million ransom for his release. A source familiar with the story said the gunmen have thus far stuck to their ground. Before then, gunmen abducted two wives, two children, and an aide of ‘Prof. Wonder,’ the paramount ruler of Odai, a tiny agrarian community close to Iluke, on Wednesday, April 16. The gunmen demanded N150 million for their freedom. When the ransom delayed in coming, the gunmen were said to have killed two of the monarch’s children over time, with the display of the gory acts on social media. More than a month after the attack, the hapless monarch was said to have taken ill and been hospitalised while his family remained in the jungle with their tormentors. A source familiar with the case disclosed that the bandits recently demanded that the monarch must bring the ransom in person or risk losing the other abductees.

READ ALSO:

The latest attack is not an isolated incident in Kogi State. Kogi State has increasingly emerged as an insecurity hotspot. Its location, linking Nigeria’s north and south through dense forest corridors, has made it attractive to armed groups operating across state boundaries, security officials say. In a similar development on May 20, a Fulani man identified as Bube and one of his cattle rearers were kidnapped at Odo-Eri community in Yagba West Local Government Area. That attack came less than 48 hours after an intelligence alert warned of a possible security threat in the area. Earlier in January 2026, the people of Ayetoro-Kiri community in the same Kabba-Bunu LGA decried persistent bandit attacks, alleging official negligence. According to them, scores of residents were abducted by bandits recently. After painful ransom payment raised through communal contributions, only seven victims were released. The community noted that three of them were already dead, while four others were allegedly battling for their lives in critical conditions at medical facilities. About 30 other innocent citizens remained in captivity, while their fate was uncertain.

Community leaders in Bunuland have repeatedly called for urgent intervention. The stakeholders of Bunuland in Kabba-Bunu local government say that incessant bandit attacks have killed 30 residents and sacked 21 villages, with over 50 residents still under captivity. The president of Bunu Development Association (BDA), Pastor Kokawole Johnson Folorunshon, painted a grim picture of the situation. He said the Bunuland which had been a peaceful agrarian settlement in central Nigeria is currently facing a grave and escalating security and humanitarian crisis. “Our farmers are being attacked on their farms; travellers are abducted on public roads, and women, children and elderly are fleeing their ancestral homes in fear,” he said. “Entire villages are gradually emptying; this is no longer a local problem. It’s a humanitarian emergency and a threat to community survival.” The community leaders noted that residents in settlements like Odo-Ape, Agadalepa, Oniriba, Ayetoro-Kiri, Ole, Ibori-Eni, and Idaka have deserted their villages due to the bandit attacks.

Gunmen Abduct Health Worker, Wife, Others in Kogi Community

Beyond bandit attacks, Kogi State has also witnessed deadly communal clashes. Fresh violence between the Itale and Ishi communities in Ibaji Local Government Area left many feared dead and several houses destroyed in early May 2026. The Kogi State Police Command confirmed only two deaths. Police Commissioner, CP Naziru Kankarofi, said security operatives, including naval personnel, vigilantes, and local security groups, were deployed after a distress call was received on May 6. According to a statement by the police spokesperson, ASP Saliu Oyiza Afusat, security operatives recovered two corpses, rescued an injured victim, and recovered 57 expended cartridges from the scene. The police said several buildings and bags of rice had already been set ablaze before security teams restored calm. Persons of interest have been identified from both communities in connection with the incident. They include Stephen Enema, Isaac Enedubi, and Alex Attah from Itale community, as well as Stephen Amegwu and Shederach Alone from Ishi community.

In response to the growing insecurity, the Kogi State government has launched security operations. Kingsley Fanwo, the state’s commissioner for information, disclosed that about 200 suspected bandits had been killed in an ongoing multi-agency offensive. Several bandit camps were destroyed during coordinated operations. However, efforts to hunt down those who had fled were being hampered as they were using some abducted civilians as human shields. “Security forces have put them in disarray wherever they try to regroup,” Fanwo told the BBC. “The only problem is that the bandits have kidnapped several individuals which they are using as human shields, knowing that the security forces wouldn’t want to kill the hostages along with the bandits.” The offensive follows a recent directive by President Bola Tinubu to top security officials to intensify efforts against bandits, security experts say. Efforts to get the police reaction on the latest Iluke attack were unsuccessful. The Kogi State Police Command’s Public Relations Officer, Saliu Afuzat Oyiza, an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), promised to get back after making enquiries. She had not responded as of press time. Residents continue to live in fear as the search for Dr. Ebi, his wife, and other abductees continues.

Gunmen Abduct Health Worker, Wife, Others in Kogi Community

Loading

metro

FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja

Published

on

FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja

FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has condemned what it described as an armed attack on its personnel by a suspected operative of the Department of State Services (DSS) during a routine traffic enforcement operation in Abuja.

The incident reportedly occurred on Thursday around 3:20 p.m. at the RS7.118 Idu Unit Command in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), involving a motorist driving a Toyota Carina who allegedly refused to comply with traffic officials before opening fire during a confrontation.

According to a statement issued by the Corps Public Education Officer, Deputy Corps Commander Osondu Ohaeri, the enforcement team had initially flagged down the driver over a suspected traffic violation.

The FRSC explained that instead of complying with lawful directives, the suspect allegedly drove recklessly in an attempt to evade officials before traffic congestion forced the vehicle to stop close to the command office.

The statement said FRSC personnel approached the vehicle for routine verification of the driver’s licence and vehicle documents, but the situation quickly escalated after the suspect reportedly became aggressive and resisted lawful enforcement procedures.

“Despite several tactical and professional attempts by FRSC personnel to de-escalate the situation, the offender escalated the confrontation by physically advancing toward officers and later drawing a pistol, which he fired twice within the vicinity of the Command,” the statement said.

The Corps disclosed that its personnel acted professionally despite the danger and successfully overpowered and disarmed the suspect without any loss of life.

READ ALSO:

“In the face of imminent danger to lives and property, FRSC personnel acted with remarkable restraint, professionalism, and tactical discipline to swiftly disarm the assailant without loss of life,” the statement added.

The FRSC confirmed that one road marshal sustained minor bruises during the struggle with the suspect.

Following the incident, the suspect was reportedly handed over to operatives of the Nigeria Police Force at the Life Camp Police Station alongside the firearm, ammunition components and the Toyota Carina involved in the incident.

Preliminary investigations later identified the suspect as a personnel of the Department of State Services (DSS), while the case has since been transferred to the appropriate state command for further investigation and disciplinary procedures.

Reacting to the development, FRSC Corps Marshal, Shehu Mohammed, commended the officers involved for displaying professionalism, maturity and tactical discipline despite the tense atmosphere and outrage from members of the public at the scene.

“He further stated unequivocally that no individual, regardless of status, rank, or agency affiliation, is above the law,” the statement noted.

The Corps Marshal stressed that all security personnel must lead by example by obeying traffic laws and respecting constituted authorities.

“Firearms and official status must never be used as instruments of intimidation against law enforcement officers carrying out legitimate duties,” he said.

The incident has sparked fresh conversations about inter-agency relations, professionalism and the conduct of armed personnel during public enforcement operations in Nigeria.

Security analysts have also praised the FRSC officials for preventing what could have escalated into a fatal security incident in the nation’s capital.

Eyewitnesses around the Idu area reportedly fled for safety after hearing gunshots, while traffic movement was briefly disrupted as security personnel secured the scene.

As of the time of filing this report, the DSS had yet to issue an official statement regarding the incident or confirm the identity of the officer involved.

The FRSC, however, called on all security agencies to strengthen inter-agency cooperation, mutual respect and operational discipline in the interest of national security and public safety.

FRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

MURIC Congratulates Hamzat, Other Successful Candidates Across Party Primaries

Published

on

Executive Director of MURIC, Professor Ishaq Akintola
MURIC Director, Prof. Ishaq Akintola

MURIC Congratulates Hamzat, Other Successful Candidates Across Party Primaries

 

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has congratulated the Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Kadri Obafemi Hamzat, over his emergence as the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) ahead of the 2027 general elections.

 

In a statement issued on Friday by the Executive Director of MURIC, Ishaq Akintola, the Islamic human rights organisation also congratulated candidates who emerged victorious in various primary elections across political parties and levels of contest.

 

MURIC described Hamzat’s emergence as a reflection of competence and credibility, noting that he successfully scaled through the party’s screening process and primary election.

 

According to the group, the Lagos deputy governor polled 657,917 votes in the APC governorship primary to defeat his rival, Olanrewaju Jim-Kamal, who secured one vote, while other aspirants, Abdul-Azeez Adediran, popularly known as Jandor, and Samuel Ajose, had earlier withdrawn from the race.

 

The organisation said it looked forward to Hamzat replicating the feat during the 2027 governorship election in Lagos State.

 

“MURIC heartily congratulates Dr. Kadri Obafemi Hamzat for this great feat. We look forward to its replication at the 2027 general elections,” the statement said.

 

The group also commended the endorsement of Hamzat by APC leaders and the support reportedly given to his candidature by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

 

While extending congratulations to other successful aspirants in governorship, senatorial and other primary elections, MURIC urged political stakeholders not to sideline Muslims in the search for competent leaders.

 

The organisation argued that highly skilled Muslims exist in all sectors and should be given equal opportunities in political appointments and elective positions.

 

“MURIC reaffirms its earlier position that there is no desertification of expertise in Islamdom. Highly skilled Muslims exist in all fields of human endeavour,” the statement added.

 

The group warned against what it described as the monopoly of public offices by Christians under the guise of searching for competence, stressing that Muslims also possess the capacity to excel in leadership positions.

 

To support its position, MURIC cited the achievements of Ishaq Oloyede at the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), as well as the contributions of former Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami.

 

According to the organisation, both individuals demonstrated excellence in public office while also being respected Islamic scholars.

 

MURIC Congratulates Hamzat, Other Successful Candidates Across Party Primaries

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

EFCC Arraigns ‘Mama Boko Haram’, Two Others Over Alleged N42 Million Fraud

Published

on

EFCC Arraigns ‘Mama Boko Haram’, Two Others Over Alleged N42 Million Fraud

EFCC Arraigns ‘Mama Boko Haram’, Two Others Over Alleged N42 Million Fraud

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arraigned a woman popularly known as “Mama Boko Haram” alongside two others over an alleged fraud involving N42 million.

The defendants were brought before a Federal High Court on charges bordering on conspiracy, obtaining money under false pretences and alleged diversion of funds.

According to the anti-graft agency, the suspects allegedly collected the sum from victims under questionable circumstances, with investigators accusing them of involvement in fraudulent financial dealings linked to false representations.

The EFCC told the court that the alleged offences contravened provisions of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act as well as other relevant laws.

During the court proceedings, prosecutors presented the charges against the defendants, who pleaded not guilty to the allegations.

READ ALSO:

Following their plea, counsel to the accused persons reportedly applied for bail, urging the court to grant them liberal conditions pending the commencement of trial.

The prosecution, however, opposed parts of the application and requested adequate measures to ensure the defendants remain available for trial.

After listening to submissions from both parties, the court adjourned the matter to a later date for hearing on the bail application and commencement of trial.

The EFCC said investigations into the alleged fraud and related transactions are ongoing.

The case has attracted public attention largely because of the nickname “Mama Boko Haram,” which has generated widespread reactions on social media and among observers following the court proceedings.

The anti-corruption agency has continued to intensify efforts against financial crimes, cyber-related offences and alleged diversion of public and private funds across the country.

EFCC Arraigns ‘Mama Boko Haram’, Two Others Over Alleged N42 Million Fraud

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending