metro
Businessman Sues Ex-Wife Over Refusal to Leave His House Five Years After Divorce
Businessman Sues Ex-Wife Over Refusal to Leave His House Five Years After Divorce
A businessman, Abibu Yakubu, has filed a petition against his ex-wife at the Upper Area Court 1, Karu, over alleged refusal to leave his house after divorce.
Yakubu is also seeking custody of his four children.
He filed the case against his estranged wife, Shuwadatu Mohammed, on October 13, 2025.
According to the particulars of claim, Yakubu, who resides at Orange Market, Mararaba, Karu LGA, said the respondent is his ex-wife and also resides at the same address.
He averred that the respondent does not respect him and his parents and often insults them.
He said that the marriage is blessed with four children aged 22, 19, and a set of six-year-old twins.
Yakubu alleged that he divorced his wife about five years ago but she refused to vacate his house.
He claimed she said she would not leave until she killed him.
He further alleged that the respondent occupied his house and threatened his life, adding that he no longer sleeps with his eyes closed.
The petitioner told the court that the ongoing dispute has created fear and tension in his daily life.
He prayed the court to hold the respondent responsible if anything happens to him.
READ ALSO:
- INEC Timetable Nullification: ADC Predicts Mass Defections From APC
- Tinubu Has No Plan to Change Nigeria’s Name or Abolish Sharia Law – Presidency
- IGP Disu: Inside the rotting walls of Zone II
The petitioner also asked the court for a re-dissolution of the marriage and custody of the four children.
The Judge, Mohammed Yakubu, after hearing the matter, adjourned the case until June 3, 2026, for continued hearing.
Under Nigerian law, disputes over property after divorce are governed by several key principles.
For a property to be considered in asset distribution, it must generally have been acquired during the subsistence of the marriage.
Properties acquired before the marriage or after its dissolution are typically excluded.
The court also considers factors such as each spouse’s contribution to acquiring the property, including non-financial contributions like homemaking and child-rearing.
In this case, Yakubu claims the house belongs to him and seeks its vacant possession.
His ex-wife’s refusal to leave, despite the divorce being finalized five years ago, forms the crux of the dispute.
On the issue of child custody, Nigerian courts prioritize the welfare and best interests of the child.
Factors considered include the child’s age, health, education, emotional well-being, and the ability of each parent to provide proper care and stability.
For younger children, courts often prefer that they stay with the mother unless there is a compelling reason to decide otherwise.
Joint custody is often encouraged to ensure that both parents remain involved in the child’s life.
In a similar case, a man named Quadri dragged his ex-wife, Gbemisola, before a Grade A Customary Court in Mapo, Ibadan, over illegal possession of his properties.
Quadri stated that Gbemisola had been in possession of his three-bedroom apartment and shop for more than one year after the court had pronounced their marriage dissolved.
He regarded his ex-wife as either a tenant or a trespasser since they were no longer husband and wife.
Gbemisola, however, refused to be addressed as a tenant, explaining that she contributed N650,000 to the construction of the two properties.
She insisted that the properties be sold and the proceeds shared among her, her ex-husband, and their children.
The court president, Mrs. S.M. Akintayo, ruled that the defendant had no right to still be in possession of both properties since the court had dissolved their union.
Akintayo ordered the defendant to vacate the three-bedroom apartment and shop on or before September 12, 2025.
The Karu court is scheduled to resume hearing on June 3, 2026.
The judge will consider Yakubu’s claims of threats and his ex-wife’s alleged refusal to vacate.
The court may also address the custody request for the couple’s four children.
If the court rules in Yakubu’s favour, his ex-wife could be ordered to leave the property.
The case highlights the challenges some individuals face in enforcing property rights after divorce in Nigeria.
Businessman Sues Ex-Wife Over Refusal to Leave His House Five Years After Divorce
![]()
metro
IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
![]()
metro
Enugu ADC Chairman Found Dead Near Residence in Suspected Murder
metro
Hamzat warns workers against spending over 40% of income on rent
Hamzat warns workers against spending over 40% of income on rent
Lagos State Deputy Governor Obafemi Hamzat has advised workers not to spend more than 40 per cent of their income on rent, warning that excessive housing costs could leave households struggling to meet other basic needs.
Hamzat gave the advice during a question-and-answer session with Nigeria Info FM on Thursday, August 20, 2026, while responding to concerns about the rising cost of housing in Lagos and the difficulty faced by young workers on modest incomes.
The deputy governor was asked how a 22-year-old earning N100,000 monthly could afford a self-contained apartment or mini-flat reportedly costing about N1 million annually in rent.
In response, Hamzat said young workers should make housing decisions based on their income rather than social pressure or the expectation that they must immediately move into independent accommodation after securing employment.
He suggested that unmarried young workers who cannot comfortably afford rent could consider living with their parents, relatives or cousins, or share accommodation with others while building their careers and finances.
“Don’t let us misunderstand ourselves as a people. We are cultural people. Do you understand? So, if I start work as a young person and I’m not married, a lot of us live with our parents. A lot of us live with our cousins,” Hamzat said. (Punch Newspapers)
Hamzat said there was no need for young workers to “start from the top” by renting expensive self-contained apartments when their earnings could not comfortably support such accommodation.
He encouraged residents to start with housing they can afford and improve their living arrangements as their income and savings increase.
The deputy governor also stressed the need for workers to balance rent payments with other essential expenses, including food, clothing and transportation.
READ ALSO:
- Newlywed Woman Remanded for Allegedly Stabbing Husband to Death Over Party Dispute in Kano
- 2027: Wike Declares Adeleke Belongs to Tinubu Camp, Predicts ‘Largest Rainbow Coalition’
- Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break
“In fact, if you spend more than 40 per cent of your income on rent, it is too high because you must eat, you must buy clothes, you must do transportation,” he said. (TheNiche)
For a worker earning N100,000 monthly, an annual rent of N1 million would amount to more than 80 per cent of annual income, leaving only about N200,000 before other expenses such as food, transport, utilities and clothing are considered.
Hamzat’s comments come as rising rents in Lagos continue to put pressure on workers, particularly young people and households whose earnings have not kept pace with accommodation and other living costs.
Beyond renting, Hamzat advocated mortgage financing as a more sustainable route to home ownership, arguing that Nigerians should not be expected to pay the full cost of a property at once.
“But, you know, the challenge is we cannot continue to buy houses the way we buy rice and yam. Do you understand? So, we must buy properties using a mortgage, and that’s why we have a mortgage board in Lagos,” he said.
He explained that mortgage financing could allow residents to make an initial payment and spread the remaining cost over several years, making home ownership more achievable for people who cannot afford a one-off payment.
Using a N7 million property as an example, Hamzat said a prospective buyer could pay a 10 per cent initial deposit of N700,000 and spread the remaining balance over 10 years.
He said monthly repayments could vary depending on the buyer’s income and repayment capacity, with some residents paying around N25,000 or N35,000 monthly.
“That is the way to go because we know that a lot of people will not be able to afford to pay a one-shot deal,” Hamzat said. (The Sun Nigeria)
Hamzat also highlighted the role of the Lagos State Residents Registration Agency (LASRRA) in the housing process, saying residents’ registration information could help establish their identity, address and place of work when assessing their ability to access housing finance.
He said the system could support a process in which an applicant’s financial capacity and ability to repay a mortgage are assessed before financing is approved.
The deputy governor further urged young workers to develop a savings culture and consider smaller properties as an entry point to home ownership, rather than waiting until they can afford more expensive houses.
According to Hamzat, the housing challenge cannot be addressed through personal financial choices alone. He said broader economic conditions, particularly workers’ incomes and the cost of essential goods and services, also need to improve.
“What is important is we must also build our economy in such a way that people earn better,” he said.
Hamzat said greater economic stability would make it easier for households to plan their finances, manage housing costs and work towards owning property.
He also linked the housing challenge to the wider cost-of-living situation, arguing that reducing the pressure created by the rising cost of goods and services would help residents cope with other financial obligations.
“The cost of buying things is what we need to fix first, and then when we fix that, which is what the Federal Government is doing now, then we’ll be able to talk a lot more about other pillars that stop on top of that,” he said. (The Whistler Newspaper)
Hamzat’s position therefore combines a call for affordable housing choices, greater use of mortgage financing and improved household savings with a broader appeal for stronger incomes and economic stability.
For young workers in Lagos, his central message was that accommodation should reflect what they can realistically afford, rather than consume a disproportionate share of their earnings.
Hamzat warns workers against spending over 40% of income on rent
![]()
-
metro2 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
Auto3 days agoNew Mercedes-Benz Atego’s technology, performance raise benchmark in Nigeria’s truck business
-
Business3 days agoFuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele
-
metro2 days agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose
-
News2 days agoTinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND
-
Politics2 days agoAtiku Dismisses Obasanjo’s Political Clout, Says Ex-President Has ‘No Electoral Value’
-
metro3 days agoArmed Men Raze ADC Chieftain’s House, Beat Family Members in Rivers Attack
