International
Iran’s Army Chief Offers $30,000 Reward for Capturing or Killing US Troops
Iran’s Army Chief Offers $30,000 Reward for Capturing or Killing US Troops
General Amir Hatami frames bounty as a “popular initiative” as 50,000 US troops remain deployed across the region and CENTCOM commander concludes strategic tour
Iran’s army commander-in-chief has announced a $30,000 reward for any Iranian who kills or captures a United States service member, according to Iranian news agency WANA, marking the latest escalation in the ongoing war of words and bounties between Tehran and Washington. General Amir Hatami said the money would be provided by “the Iranian people,” framing the bounty as a popular rather than a state initiative, in what appears to be a calculated effort to mobilize civilian support against American military personnel while maintaining plausible deniability for the Iranian government. The announcement, which follows a pattern of Iranian bounties targeting US personnel, comes as regional tensions continue to escalate and more than 50,000 American troops remain deployed across the Middle East in support of ongoing operations against Iran.
The latest bounty announcement is part of an escalating war of rewards between the United States and Iran that has intensified throughout 2026. In May, senior lawmaker and National Security Council chairman Ebrahim Azizi said Iran’s parliament was preparing to vote on a bill that would award €50 million to anyone who kills United States President Donald Trump, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, or US Central Command commander Admiral Brad Cooper—signaling that the $30,000 figure may represent only the latest in a series of escalating bounty offers. Hatami’s framing of the reward as a “popular initiative” rather than a state program allows Iranian officials to deny that Tehran actively plots assassinations of foreign leaders, even as officials continue making threats against American and Israeli figures. This dual-track approach—public denials alongside escalating rhetoric—has become a hallmark of Iran’s messaging strategy amid the ongoing conflict.
READ ALSO:
- Arsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
- Ataoja Congratulates Adeleke on Osun Governorship Election Victory
- Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke, Says Osun Victory Affirms Nigeria’s Democratic Progress
The United States has responded in kind with its own bounty programs targeting Iranian leadership. In March 2026, the US State Department’s “Reward for Justice” program issued $10 million bounties** for information on 15 senior Iranian military and political officials, including Iran’s newly appointed Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei and nine other senior officials from the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and Iranian government security, intelligence, and interior departments. The US program offered informants “an opportunity to receive rewards and relocation opportunities,” according to published announcements. Washington has previously imposed sanctions and criminal charges in response to alleged Iranian assassination plots, including a **$20 million reward for information on an IRGC operative accused of plotting to kill former national security adviser John Bolton. President Trump has also previously warned Iran of devastating consequences should any American be harmed.
The latest bounty announcement came as CENTCOM Commander Admiral Brad Cooper wrapped up a 10-day trip to the Middle East on Saturday, visiting six countries and the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier in the Arabian Sea. More than 50,000 US troops are currently deployed across the region in support of ongoing operations against Iran, making them potential targets of the newly announced bounty. The strategic deployment represents a significant American military presence that Iranian officials have repeatedly warned they are prepared to confront. Iranian military advisor Mohsen Rezaei previously warned that Iran is prepared to capture “thousands of US soldiers” if Washington launches a ground offensive, and has discussed setting a $1 billion ransom price for each captive American soldier.
The $30,000 bounty represents a significant sum in Iran, where the average annual income is substantially lower, and analysts suggest the reward structure is designed to create a “people’s army” dynamic where economic necessity could drive civilians to target US military personnel. This strategy complicates conventional military responses and expands the threat landscape beyond formal military engagements, transforming ordinary Iranian citizens into potential combatants motivated by financial reward. For the United States, the bounty creates a difficult security calculus, as American military personnel operating in or near Iranian territory now face the additional threat of potential attacks from Iranian civilians, not just from formal military forces. The United States has not formally responded to the latest announcement, though previous US administrations have demonstrated a willingness to escalate military and economic pressure in response to Iranian threats.
Iran’s Army Chief Offers $30,000 Reward for Capturing or Killing US Troops
![]()
International
Indonesia Earthquake: Death Toll Rises to 38 as Rescue Teams Battle Landslides, Aftershocks
International
Netanyahu Calls UK ‘Islamic Republic of Britain,’ Sparks Outrage Over Islamophobic Remark
Netanyahu Calls UK ‘Islamic Republic of Britain,’ Sparks Outrage Over Islamophobic Remark
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has sparked a diplomatic firestorm after referring to the United Kingdom as the “Islamic Republic of Britain” during a podcast interview, drawing sharp condemnation from British Jewish leaders and former government officials while underscoring growing tensions between the two long-standing allies. Netanyahu made the remarks during an appearance on the Israeli podcast Melech Blitzer Haim, which aired on Thursday, August 13, 2026. The Israeli leader was discussing British media coverage of Israel, contrasting what he described as the “positive” reporting by journalist Randolph Churchill during the 1967 Six-Day War with the current British political climate.
“Try finding that in Britain today. What’s called ‘the Islamic Republic of Britain’,” Netanyahu said, according to translated comments published by Israeli media.
When the podcast host asked whether “all of Europe isn’t already like that,” referring to demographic changes and the growth of Muslim communities across the continent, Netanyahu responded, “Yes.” He then invoked remarks previously made by US Vice President JD Vance, stating: “Someone said that the first Islamic republic with nuclear weapons will be the Islamic Republic of Britain… so we’re making sure there won’t be another one in Iran.”
READ ALSO:
- “Obi Is a Regional Champion” — Dino Melaye Explains Why He Can’t Be President
- Adeleke Campaign Council Protests Release of APC Assembly Candidate Arrested with Gun in Osun
- Omo-Agege Escapes Assassination Attempt in Usiefrun, Six NDC Members Injured
The remarks were immediately condemned by British and Irish Jewish leaders, who accused Netanyahu of using divisive and irresponsible language at a time of heightened social tensions. “At a time when antisemitism, anti-Muslim hatred and social division are causing real fear across our country, language of this kind is dangerous and irresponsible,” said Rabbi Charley Baginsky and Rabbi Josh Lev, co-leads of the Movement for Progressive Judaism. “Prime Minister Netanyahu does not speak for British Jews. His words do not represent us.”
Gavin Barwell, a former Downing Street chief of staff under Prime Minister Theresa May, described the remarks as “blatant Islamophobia” and questioned whether Netanyahu could still be regarded as a friend of Britain. “Let’s hope everyone will now shed the pretence some still cling to that this man is any friend of Britain,” Barwell wrote on X. British broadcaster Piers Morgan also weighed in, sharing a clip of the remarks on X and calling Netanyahu an “idiot.” The post attracted hundreds of thousands of views and sparked a wider online dispute, with Israeli Channel 14 correspondent Omri Haim responding: “Yes, he is the idiot. How is Birmingham doing? Don’t come crying when you feel the water boiling, frog.” Israeli opposition politician Avi Dabush, running for the Knesset as a Democrats party candidate, also criticised the remarks, writing on X: “That’s what happens when there’s a horrific diplomatic failure, and an inability to rally countries in the world in favor of our interests.” Dabush noted that Britain is a member of the UN Security Council “six times the size of Israel.”
Netanyahu’s comments come amid increasingly strained relations between Israel and Britain, despite the countries’ traditionally strong ties. Tensions have escalated since the Labour Party returned to power in the UK in 2024. Under former Labour Prime Minister Keir Starmer, Britain paused free trade talks with Israel and suspended some arms export licences. The UK has also imposed sanctions on far-right Israeli cabinet members Itamar Ben-Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich. Last year, Britain joined France and Canada in recognising a Palestinian state.
Current British Prime Minister Andy Burnham recently apologised for Labour’s initial response to Israel’s actions in Gaza, saying the party was too slow to call for a ceasefire. Burnham has indicated he would pursue further sanctions on individuals and entities involved in violence in Gaza and consider measures to ban trading goods with illegal settlements. “We’ve got to do more to put pressure on the Israeli government,” Burnham said.
Rodwan Abouharb, associate professor of international relations at University College London, described Netanyahu’s comments as a “new low” in UK-Israel relations, while suggesting they could also serve Netanyahu’s domestic political interests as he faces a fractured governing coalition ahead of Israel’s October 27 election. Chris Doyle, director of the Council for Arab-British Understanding, said on X: “Netanyahu will say anything. This is as ridiculous as stating that Israel is a democracy that abides by the rule of law for all its citizens; or that it has the most moral army in the world.”
Netanyahu Calls UK ‘Islamic Republic of Britain,’ Sparks Outrage Over Islamophobic Remark
![]()
International
Iran rejects US claims that Strait of Hormuz has reopened
Iran rejects US claims that Strait of Hormuz has reopened
Iran has rejected claims by U.S. officials that the Strait of Hormuz has reopened, insisting that the strategic waterway remains closed to normal commercial shipping until its conditions are accepted.
The Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA), the Iranian body responsible for maritime traffic through the waterway, said repeated statements from Washington did not change the situation.
“Claims and repeated posts by U.S. officials that the Strait of Hormuz is no longer blocked do not change the reality,” the authority said in a post on X.
The PGSA maintained that the Strait of Hormuz remains blocked and will not be reopened until Iran’s conditions are accepted.
The latest development followed a claim by U.S. President Donald Trump that the United States had “total control” of the strategic waterway and would maintain that control.
Trump said in a post on Truth Social that the U.S. naval blockade around Iran had created a “wall of steel” and suggested that Tehran lacked the ability to challenge the American military presence.
Iran has rejected the assertion, with its officials continuing to maintain that Tehran controls passage through the waterway.
The dispute comes amid an ongoing confrontation between the United States and Iran, with Washington maintaining a naval blockade of Iranian ports while Tehran has restricted most shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.
READ ALSO:
- Oyinlola Denies Adeleke’s Car Gift Claim: “Osun Govt Gave Me the Car, Not You”
- Tinubu Rejects Blame Game, Vows to Revive Refineries with Profitability Focus
- Scores of Terrorists Killed, 60 Arrested in Nationwide Military Operations
U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said Washington could maintain the naval blockade of Iran indefinitely by rotating military vessels in and out of the region. The United States says the blockade is intended to restrict Iranian shipping while allowing non-Iranian vessels to pass.
Iranian officials, however, have said the Strait of Hormuz will not fully reopen unless the United States changes its position and accepts Tehran’s demands.
Iran’s newly appointed Supreme National Security Council secretary, Mohsen Rezaei, said the United States must end the war, address Iran’s frozen assets and support an end to hostilities across the region, including in Lebanon and Gaza.
Rezaei also said other Iranian demands had been communicated to Washington through mediators.
Meanwhile, Iran and Oman are discussing a possible arrangement for shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. However, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said any agreement between Tehran and Muscat on a new route would be separate from the question of reopening the strait itself.
That distinction is significant because reports earlier this month suggested that Iran and Oman were close to an arrangement that could facilitate commercial shipping through the waterway. Reuters reported that the proposed deal would not, by itself, lead to the reopening of the strait, as Iran has tied the move to broader issues involving the U.S. blockade and the war.
Despite Washington’s claim of control and Tehran’s insistence that the waterway remains blocked, vessels have continued to move through the Strait of Hormuz in limited numbers.
According to shipping data reported by Reuters, nine commodity vessels transited the strait on Thursday, compared with five the previous day. However, the figure remained below the August average of about 12 vessels a day. Most of the vessels that passed through used routes controlled by Iran.
The current traffic levels remain dramatically below normal.
The disruption has forced energy companies and traders to explore alternative arrangements. Reuters reported that TotalEnergies’ trading arm, Totsa, was offering Iraqi crude for loading at locations outside the Strait of Hormuz as buyers remained reluctant to send vessels to terminals inside the waterway because of security concerns.
The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most important energy shipping routes, connecting the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea.
Any prolonged disruption threatens the movement of crude oil, petroleum products and liquefied natural gas from major energy producers in the Gulf to international markets.
The continuing restrictions have therefore raised concerns over global oil supplies, shipping costs and energy prices, particularly as the United States and Iran remain unable to reach a lasting agreement.
The crisis has also affected financial markets. Reuters reported that Gulf stock markets were mixed amid concerns over the prolonged disruption, while Brent crude remained elevated as investors assessed the risk of further escalation.
The situation has become increasingly complicated by competing claims over who controls the waterway.
While President Donald Trump maintains that the United States has “total control” of the Strait of Hormuz, Iranian authorities insist that Washington has not taken control of the passage and that vessels must comply with Iranian requirements to transit the area.
For now, the conflicting claims have not translated into a return to normal shipping. Maritime traffic remains restricted, diplomatic efforts involving Iran, Oman and the United States remain unresolved, and Tehran continues to insist that the Strait of Hormuz will not be fully reopened until its conditions are met.
Iran rejects US claims that Strait of Hormuz has reopened
![]()
-
News2 days agoUK Opens 2026/27 Commonwealth Fellowship Applications for Nigerians – How to Apply
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: Over 100 ‘Imported’ Voters Arrested With New PVCs
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides 2026: Over 40,000 Security Operatives Deploy as Voters Brave Tensions to Elect New Governor
-
metro2 days agoCourt Dissolves Marriage After Wife Accused of Nose Ring, Ankle Chain, TikTok Videos with Lover
-
Entertainment2 days agoOsun Election: Davido Alleges Soldiers Tried to Stop Him from Entering State
-
metro2 days agoWorking in Canada Without a Permit: IRCC Warns of Serious Immigration Consequences
-
metro2 days ago[UPDATED] Osun Election: Police Arrest Lawmaker with 200 PVCs, 146 Suspected Electoral Mercenaries
-
International3 days agoNetanyahu Calls UK ‘Islamic Republic of Britain,’ Sparks Outrage Over Islamophobic Remark
