Politics
Atiku Dismisses Obasanjo’s Political Clout, Says Ex-President Has ‘No Electoral Value’
Politics
Hold Oborevwori Responsible If I’m Attacked, Killed During Campaigns, Omo-Agege Says
Hold Oborevwori Responsible If I’m Attacked, Killed During Campaigns, Omo-Agege Says
Former Deputy Senate President Ovie Omo-Agege has raised alarm over alleged threats to his life and family members emanating from the Delta State Government House, calling on the public and security agencies to hold Governor Sheriff Oborevwori responsible if any harm comes to him, as he made the declaration on Thursday while flagging off his senatorial campaigns in Uvwie Local Government Area, seeking to return to the Senate on the platform of the National Democratic Congress (NDC). The former senator called on the Nigerian public, the international community, civil society organisations, the media and security agencies to take formal note of the alleged threats, stating with grave concern that he notes the disturbing and increasingly credible threats to his life and his family members in Delta State emanating from the Delta State Government House, Asaba, and declaring that should anything untoward happen to him or members of his family, the Nigerian people and more particularly the Urhobo people of Delta Central senatorial district should hold the Governor of Delta State Elder Sheriff Oborevwori responsible and accountable.
Omo-Agege and Governor Oborevwori have been political rivals since the 2023 Delta State governorship election, with Omo-Agege serving as the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) during that election, while Oborevwori contested on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) with the backing of then Governor Ifeanyi Okowa. Oborevwori won the election with 360,234 votes against Omo-Agege’s 240,229 votes, securing victory in 21 of Delta State’s 25 local government areas, and the Supreme Court later affirmed his election, after which Omo-Agege accepted the judgment and congratulated the governor, though both politicians have remained at odds over political leadership and influence in Delta State since then.
READ ALSO:
- Abel Enitan Replaces Walson-Jack as Head of Civil Service as Tinubu Lauds Outgoing HOS
- FG Upgrades Four Lagos Substations, Adds 360MW to Boost Power Supply
- PFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
The rivalry has intensified following Governor Oborevwori’s defection from the PDP to the APC on April 23, 2025, a move that dramatically altered the balance of political forces in Delta State, with Omo-Agege, who remained in the APC after Oborevwori’s defection, eventually leaving the party for the NDC, citing alienation and what he described as the Oborevwori-aligned camp wiping out the party’s legacy structure. Omo-Agege has claimed that Oborevwori defected to the APC out of fear of his political influence, citing his 2023 electoral performance in Delta Central where he polled 115,245 votes against the governor’s 100,089 votes, and queried that if Sheriff believed he was not a threat, why didn’t he stay back in PDP and take him on in 2027, while also accusing the governor’s camp of flouting a directive by President Bola Tinubu that old APC members and new entrants should be integrated through a 60-40 sharing arrangement following the governor’s defection.
Omo-Agege’s latest warning follows a violent incident in July 2026, when Simon Mudi, a protocol aide to Governor Oborevwori, was chased and repeatedly struck with bottles and chairs during an APC Delta Central leaders and stakeholders’ meeting in Effurun, with a video shared on Facebook by Omo-Agege showing participants fleeing in panic as several men pursued Mudi, striking him on the head with bottles and throwing chairs at him while he attempted to escape, and Omo-Agege described the assault as political thuggery, plain and simple, alleging without presenting evidence that the attackers were sponsored. Omo-Agege has called on the Inspector-General of Police, the Commissioner of Police in Delta, and the State Security Service to investigate the alleged threats, prosecute those responsible, and ensure a peaceful political environment before the 2027 general elections, further urging relevant authorities and other stakeholders to take formal notice of his concerns, while Governor Oborevwori had not responded to the allegations as of the time of reporting.
Hold Oborevwori Responsible If I’m Attacked, Killed During Campaigns, Omo-Agege Says
![]()
Politics
2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose
2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose
Former Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose has said Peter Obi suffered a major political setback in his bid for the 2027 presidency after leaving the African Democratic Congress (ADC) for the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC).
Fayose made the comment during an interview on TVC News’ Politics Tonight, where he assessed the chances of the opposition parties against the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) ahead of the 2027 general election.
According to Fayose, the opposition had a stronger opportunity to mount a serious challenge against President Bola Tinubu when prominent opposition figures were united under the ADC.
He said Obi’s decision to leave the coalition weakened the opposition’s chances and effectively ended the former Anambra State governor’s advantage within the opposition camp.
“When they were all together in ADC, I would tell anybody that they will make an impact. The day Obi left ADC for NDC, that day Obi lost,” Fayose said.
Despite his criticism of Obi’s political decision, Fayose spoke positively about the former Anambra governor’s record and political profile.
He described Obi as “a fantastic Nigerian” who had made his mark and demonstrated that positive change was possible.
However, Fayose argued that personal popularity would not be enough to secure victory in a presidential election without a strong political structure and a united opposition.
“But when opposition, when they don’t come together, they will continue to lose,” he said.
Fayose’s comments come amid continuing political realignments ahead of the 2027 Nigerian presidential election, with major opposition figures pursuing different platforms after an earlier attempt to consolidate them under the ADC.
Obi’s departure from the ADC has been particularly significant because he had initially been viewed by some opposition figures as one of the coalition’s strongest potential presidential contenders. His subsequent move to the NDC has altered the opposition landscape and created separate political camps ahead of the election.
READ ALSO:
- Electric Vehicles: Six-point blueprint to drive mass adoption, by Metropolitan CEO
- New Mercedes-Benz Atego’s technology, performance raise benchmark in Nigeria’s truck business
- Sokoto APC suffers fresh setback as over 700 members reportedly defect to ADC
In a July 2026 interview with Channels Television, Obi confirmed his status as the NDC presidential candidate for 2027 and defended his political strategy, saying his decision to contest was driven by his belief that he could fix Nigeria’s major challenges and unite the country. (Cockatoo)
Fayose, however, maintained that the fragmentation of the opposition has created an advantage for the APC.
He said the political process had advanced to a stage where it would be difficult for opposition politicians to reverse their decisions and return to a single platform.
“It’s too late now,” Fayose said. “INEC has accredited everybody. Even if you say you are not doing again, you’re on your own.”
“You have put your feet in the water. You can’t get out. You have gotten wet already,” he added.
Fayose also predicted that President Tinubu would perform strongly in the South-West during the 2027 presidential election.
According to him, the President could secure close to four million votes in the region, based on the voting pattern recorded during the 2023 presidential election.
“In the West alone, Tinubu will get close to about four million votes,” Fayose said.
“When you look at the pattern of the last election, Tinubu will win this election close to about 65 per cent.”
The projection comes as political parties intensify their efforts to consolidate support across Nigeria’s six geopolitical zones. Tinubu secured substantial support in parts of the South-West during the 2023 presidential election, although the region did not vote uniformly, with different candidates winning different states.
Fayose also commented on the recently concluded Osun State governorship election, rejecting claims that vote-buying was associated with only one political camp.
He said supporters of the APC, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Accord were all involved in alleged vote-buying activities observed during the election.
“It’s mere desperation. Mere desperation,” Fayose said.
He added that reports of arrests over alleged vote-buying involved people linked to different political camps.
“The two sides clearly, going by what we saw on the television on Saturday, police arrested the two sides sharing money. So don’t come and tell me they are saints both ways,” he said.
The former governor said the problem of electoral malpractice in Nigeria should not be reduced to accusations against one party because it was a broader challenge affecting the electoral system.
“We have a lot to put right,” Fayose said.
“It’s the system. It’s systemic. It is a problem that has to be addressed.”
His comments highlight the wider political battle expected ahead of the 2027 general election, as the APC seeks to retain the presidency while opposition parties attempt to build competitive structures capable of challenging Tinubu.
For Obi, the immediate challenge is to translate his personal political following into a strong nationwide structure under the NDC. His supporters will also have to demonstrate that his decision to pursue an independent opposition platform can overcome the disadvantages created by the fragmentation of the earlier ADC coalition.
Fayose’s assessment, however, remains a political prediction rather than an electoral outcome. The 2027 presidential election has not yet been held, and the eventual result will depend on the candidates, campaigns, party structures, voter turnout and the choices Nigerians make at the polls.
2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose
![]()
Politics
Sokoto APC suffers fresh setback as over 700 members reportedly defect to ADC
Sokoto APC suffers fresh setback as over 700 members reportedly defect to ADC
More than 700 members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State have reportedly defected to the African Democratic Congress (ADC), citing alleged neglect, poor representation and growing insecurity in their communities.
The reported APC defection involved members from Goronyo and Shinaka wards and comes as political parties intensify grassroots mobilisation ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The defectors were led by Alhaji Aliyu Tunau Shinaka, a former APC secretary in Goronyo Local Government and two-time special adviser to the Sokoto State Government.
Others reported to have joined the ADC include former APC youth leader in the local government, Alhaji Ibrahim Ado Taloka; Alhaji Kabiru Malam Isah Mai’alewa; and prominent women leader and youth mobiliser Hajiya Shafa’atu S/Pawa Goronyo.
Speaking during the defection ceremony, Shinaka said the group decided to leave the APC after what he described as prolonged neglect of grassroots members and residents by the party leadership.
He alleged that party members who worked for the APC’s electoral success had not received adequate attention from the leadership and that concerns raised by residents had remained largely unaddressed.

Sokoto APC suffers fresh setback as over 700 members reportedly defect to ADC
Shinaka also criticised Muhammad Bello Goronyo, the Minister of State for Works and a prominent APC figure from the area, accusing him of failing to provide the level of political leadership and development initiatives expected by residents.
READ ALSO:
- US Court Grants Four-Day Extension for Release of Tinubu Drug-Trafficking Records
- Osun Poll: Fayose Says Federal Might Could Have Swayed Result If Deployed
- NAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
He particularly questioned the progress of federal road rehabilitation across Sokoto East Senatorial District, arguing that the minister’s position at the Federal Ministry of Works should result in greater attention to infrastructure challenges affecting communities in the region.
The allegations were made by the defectors and have not been independently verified. No response from the minister or the APC leadership in Goronyo was provided alongside the claims.
Another defector, Taloka, said the group joined the ADC because it wanted a political platform that would give greater priority to the welfare and security of residents.
He described the movement as a response to what he called the concerns of grassroots supporters who felt they were only remembered during election periods.
The defectors also expressed concern about the deteriorating security situation in Goronyo and neighbouring communities, alleging that banditry had disrupted farming, displaced residents and damaged local economic activities.
They claimed that more than 100 residents of Goronyo Local Government were being held by bandits in camps across parts of Sokoto East. The claim could not be independently verified.
According to the group, insecurity has made it difficult for many residents to access their farms, while some families have allegedly been displaced and others affected by the loss of relatives and livelihoods.
Shinaka said political leaders had a responsibility to remain connected to communities during periods of insecurity and provide support to victims and affected families.
The reported defection comes amid wider political realignments in Sokoto State ahead of the 2027 elections.
The ADC has attracted politicians and supporters from established parties in different parts of the country as opposition figures seek to build a broader political coalition ahead of the next general election.
Sokoto has also recorded previous political movement towards the ADC. In April 2026, seven members of the Sokoto State House of Assembly reportedly defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the ADC, including Nasiru Adamu, who represents Goronyo Constituency.
The latest reported movement could further strengthen the ADC’s grassroots structure in Goronyo if the defectors remain active within the party.
The APC, meanwhile, has also recorded political movements into its fold in the area. In November 2025, former PDP figures in Goronyo joined the APC and were received by Minister of State for Works Muhammad Bello Goronyo.
The contrasting movements reflect the increasingly fluid political landscape in Sokoto as parties position themselves for the 2027 elections.
For the ADC, the reported entry of more than 700 APC members could provide additional grassroots strength in Goronyo. For the APC, the development could create a fresh challenge for its mobilisation efforts in an area regarded as an important political base.
The defectors said they were prepared to work for the expansion of the ADC and support what they described as a new political direction centred on security, peace, good governance and development.
With the 2027 elections drawing closer, further defections and political realignments are expected across Sokoto State as the APC, ADC, PDP and other parties compete to strengthen their structures and attract influential politicians and grassroots supporters.
Sokoto APC suffers fresh setback as over 700 members reportedly defect to ADC
![]()
-
metro3 days agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPalliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
-
Insurance1 day agoNAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
-
Education2 days agoWAEC 2026 results: Schools raise alarm over alleged grading anomalies
-
metro2 days agoLagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Politics2 days ago‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
-
Politics3 days agoDavido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
-
metro3 days agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
