metro
Air Peace’ll meet with Emir of Kano soon over missed flight – Onyema
The management of Air Peace has said that it will meet with Aminu Ado Bayero, the Emir of Kano and the emirate very soon in a bid to resolve the misunderstanding arising from last week’s missed flight by the emir and his entourage.
The airline said that it would not like the issue to heat up the polity, maintaining that it would continue to preach peace and unity of Nigeria.
Allen Onyema, the Chairman, Air Peace, made the statement on Monday when Independent Newspapers’ team led by Mr. Don Okere, the editor, Daily Independent, paid him a courtesy visit in his office at the Government Reserved Area (G.R.A) Ikeja, Lagos.
Independent Newspapers selected Mr. Onyema as the Businessman of the Year 2021 in its annual award slated for Saturday at Eko Hotels and Suites, Lagos.
Fielding questions from the editorial team, Onyema regretted the altercations that arose from the missed flight, but described the emir as a quiet and a peace loving man who would not encourage violence of any sort.
He also cautioned the public, especially the media, against escalating the issue, assuring that the airline would resolve the issue amicably. He said: “I don’t want to be used to heat up the polity.
“I don’t want Air Peace to be a source of rancour in the country. Air Peace has always been known as an airline that was borne out of peace.
‘I have been a very peaceful person and I have been pursuing tenets of peace all my life and I have been pursuing peace and unity of this country selflessly right from my teenage years.
“So, I cannot allow myself to be used or to be involved in anything that will tear the country apart.
‘And the Emir of Kano I know is a peace loving man. I have always known him as a prince when the late father was still alive.
“I have paid homage to the father several times. He may not remember me, but when I bring pictures of me and his father and him also, he will realise that I have been paying homage to his father.
“I have always known him as a very quiet and unassuming person and nothing has changed.
“I don’t think the emir of Kano will want to be involved in what is happening and I can tell you he is a very respectable man.
“We are going to meet any day. He’s not a troublesome person and I am sure he will like to meet with me and I will also like to meet with him, too.
“There is nothing at stake, we are all one Nigeria. We don’t want people to capitalise on this to start fanning embers of disunity in the country. People should play it down; the media should play it down.
“The fragile peace we have in this country should not be toyed with in any way. Air Peace will not allow itself to be a source of rancour in the country.”
Recall that Isa Bayero, the cousin of the emir, had on Saturday issued a three-day ultimatum to Air Peace to apologise for allegedly “disrespecting” the monarch.
He had earlier written a letter of complaint to the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), asking the regulatory body to take action against the airline for allegedly disrespecting the emir and the people of Kano.
He purported that the airline turned down his request to delay the Lagos-Kano scheduled flight after they were delayed in Banjul, Gambia, to Lagos.
Also, Onyema lauded President Muhammadu Buhari, Sen. Hadi Sirika, the Minister of Aviation, and Capt. Musa Nuhu, the Director-General of NCAA, for putting national interest forward during the faceoff with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) over his airline’s slots issue with the Middle East country.
He said the airline on Tuesday recommenced flight services to Dubai through the Dubai International Airport.
“Yes, we are returning to Dubai tomorrow (Tuesday). I cannot be a prouder Nigerian with what the Federal Government did as it concerns our flight operations into Dubai; Nigerians of all works of life and ethnicities were proud of the way the government stood behind Air Peace.
“The government was even ready to sacrifice the diplomatic relationship with the UAE if they didn’t do the right thing.
“I thank President Muhammadu Buhari for providing that kind of leadership where every Nigerian is protected no matter where you come from and no matter who you are,” he said.
![]()
metro
Lagos Moves to Tackle Housing Deficit, Inaugurates 2026 World Habitat Day Committee
Lagos Moves to Tackle Housing Deficit, Inaugurates 2026 World Habitat Day Committee
The Lagos State Government has inaugurated the planning committee for the 2026 World Habitat Day celebration, charging members to deploy their expertise and work collaboratively towards finding sustainable solutions to the state’s housing and urban development challenges.
The committee was inaugurated last Tuesday by the Permanent Secretary, Office of Physical Planning, Lagos State Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development, Tpl. Olayinka Adebayo Wasiu, at the Ministry’s Conference Room in Alausa, Ikeja.
Speaking at the inauguration, Wasiu described World Habitat Day as an important platform for reflecting on the state of human settlements and reaffirming the fundamental right of every individual to adequate housing.
He said the 2026 theme, “Adequate Housing for All,” was particularly relevant to Lagos, given the need for stronger and more coordinated efforts to address housing challenges and improve living conditions across the state.
The Permanent Secretary called for greater collaboration among government agencies, private sector operators, development partners and other stakeholders in the built environment, stressing that the housing challenge required a comprehensive and sustainable response.
“I want you all to bring your expertise and contribute meaningfully before, during and after the programme because Lagos is widely regarded as the pacesetter of development in Nigeria,” he said.
Wasiu further urged committee members to approach their assignments with professionalism, dedication and a strong sense of purpose, while leveraging their diverse expertise to deliver a meaningful and impactful celebration.
He said the housing deficit could no longer be addressed through fragmented interventions, noting that a holistic approach was required to bridge the existing gap.
“The housing deficit is something we have to critically and holistically address in order to bridge the existing gap,” he added.
READ ALSO:
- Lagos Moves to Tackle Housing Deficit, Inaugurates 2026 World Habitat Day Committee
- Hawk Fire in US Rages On, Burns 10,500 Acres in Nevada, Forces Mass Evacuations
- ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years
He explained that the Office of Physical Planning was responsible for coordinating the annual World Habitat Day observance in Lagos, adding that members of the 2026 planning committee were drawn from various Ministries, Departments and Agencies to promote broad representation, inclusiveness and effective coordination.
World Habitat Day is observed globally on the first Monday of October each year to draw attention to the state of human settlements and the right to adequate shelter.
The 2026 Lagos State celebration is scheduled for Monday, October 5, at the Blue Roof, LTV Complex, Agidingbi, Ikeja.
The state government reaffirmed its commitment to sustainable urban development, expanding access to adequate housing and implementing policies aimed at improving the quality of life of Lagos residents.

Lagos Moves to Tackle Housing Deficit, Inaugurates 2026 World Habitat Day Committee
![]()
metro
ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years
ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has uncovered an alleged fake government agency that operated from the premises of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF) for years while presenting itself as a properly constituted federal institution.
The organisation, identified as the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office, allegedly claimed that it had received Federal Executive Council (FEC) approval in 2017 under the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari.
However, the ICPC said its investigation found that the office was operating without presidential authorisation and contrary to extant laws, raising questions about how it secured office space within the OSGF complex and maintained an official-looking structure for years.
The development was disclosed by ICPC Chairman, Dr Musa Aliyu, SAN, after he briefed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on the Commission’s investigation into the alleged fictitious Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC) and other weaknesses in the public service.
Aliyu said the discovery of the alleged fake agency emerged from the broader investigation into how unauthorised organisations could operate within government structures.
He said the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office had been illegally allocated office space within the OSGF premises, despite allegedly lacking the required authorisation to function as a federal agency.
The Commission identified George Buchi Nwabueze as the alleged promoter of the organisation.
According to the ICPC chairman, Nwabueze allegedly operated under several variations of his name, including George Nathan, George Nathan Nwabueze, Hon. George Buchi Nwabueze and Prince George Buchi Nwabueze.
A profile on the organisation’s website lists Nwabueze George as its “Executive Director, National Coordinator”, further linking the individual to the organisation at the centre of the ICPC investigation.
READ ALSO:
- Rivers Monarch Escapes Assassination as Gunmen Raze Palace, Several Wounded
- 2027: Over 500 Northern Muslim Clerics Endorse Tinubu for Second Term
- Messi Fined for Slapping Opponent in Heated Philadelphia Draw
The organisation had built an elaborate public profile around its activities. Its website presented the office as an initiative focused on promoting Made-in-Nigeria products, supporting local industries, developing Nigerian brands and encouraging investment in domestic manufacturing.
Its stated objectives included the revival of moribund factories through investment arrangements, support for local brands, development of a national labelling and counterfeit surveillance system, and promotion of Nigerian products through trade fairs and exhibitions.
The organisation also published what it described as a “Bill for an Act to Establish the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Promotion Commission and for Related Matters.”
The purported legislation, identified on its website as the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Promotion Commission Act, 2025, was presented as providing a legal framework for the establishment of a commission responsible for promoting Nigerian brands and local manufacturing.
However, the publication of the proposed bill does not, by itself, establish that the organisation had been legally created as a federal agency.
The organisation also claimed that its activities had a 2017 FEC approval.
According to information published on its website, the Federal Executive Council allegedly approved a “National Campaign to Sensitize Nigerians on the Patronage of Made-in-Nigeria Products” at a meeting held at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on February 1, 2017.
The organisation listed the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment as the implementing ministry.
That claim has become one of the issues requiring verification as part of the ICPC investigation. While the organisation presents the 2017 FEC approval as part of its history, the anti-corruption agency maintains that the office was operating without the necessary presidential authorisation.
The alleged agency also established an extensive nationwide leadership structure, with national, zonal and state coordinators.
Its published structure included officials assigned to different geopolitical zones and states, creating the appearance of a federal organisation with representation across the country.
The organisation’s website also displayed official-looking green-and-white insignia bearing references to “The Presidency” and “Made in Nigeria”, further contributing to its public presentation as a government-backed initiative.
It maintained social media accounts under the handle @pmainpro on platforms including Facebook, Instagram, X and LinkedIn.
The ICPC is now investigating how the organisation was able to maintain such a structure and operate from government premises without being stopped earlier.
Aliyu also alleged that the organisation’s promoter may have had the suspected collaboration of some senior public servants within the OSGF.
The Commission is examining the role of officials who may have facilitated the organisation’s access to office accommodation and other government resources.
Following the ICPC briefing, President Tinubu ordered the immediate arrest of Nwabueze and directed the suspension of three permanent secretaries pending the outcome of the investigation.
The affected officials are M.S. Danjuma, Engr. Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah.
The presidential action came amid a wider investigation into alleged fictitious government structures, following the earlier discovery of the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC).
The ICPC had alleged that the PFIPC was not a legitimate federal government institution despite presenting itself as one. Its alleged promoter, Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, is facing prosecution over allegations including forgery and impersonation.
The discovery of the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office has now widened concerns about fraudulent government structures and weaknesses in public-service oversight.
The case has raised questions about how an organisation allegedly lacking valid presidential authorisation could obtain office accommodation within the OSGF, establish a nationwide network of coordinators and maintain an official-looking online presence.
The ICPC said it had engaged officials of the OSGF to obtain additional information on how the organisation secured its accommodation and to establish the roles allegedly played by the suspended permanent secretaries and other individuals.
The Commission said its investigation would continue and that further findings would be communicated to the appropriate authorities.
For now, the alleged 2017 FEC approval, the circumstances surrounding the organisation’s occupation of government premises and the alleged involvement of public officials remain subjects of investigation.
The allegations against Nwabueze, the suspended officials and any other persons linked to the matter have not been established by a court. All individuals involved are entitled to due process and the presumption of innocence.
ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years
![]()
metro
Rivers Monarch Escapes Assassination as Gunmen Raze Palace, Several Wounded
-
News2 days agoDelta Governor Reveals ₦503,000 Monthly Salary, Says Permanent Secretaries Earn ₦900,000
-
metro2 days agoHistory in Makkah: Nigerian Teen Wins Prestigious Qur’anic Contest, Breaks 46-Year Gender Barrier
-
metro3 days agoFormer MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute
-
Auto2 days agoDangote deploys technology to curb truck crashes, improve road safety
-
Politics3 days agoPBAT Door-to-Door Movement Holds Kano Rally, Strengthens APC Ties Ahead of 2027
-
Africa3 days agoM23 Rebels Impose Ebola Movement Restrictions as DRC Conflict Complicates Outbreak Response
-
News2 days agoAtiku’s Fuel Subsidy Plan Unrealistic, Destructive, Says Presidency
-
Politics3 days agoAtiku Vows to Restore Fuel Subsidy If Elected in 2027
