metro
Ex-defence chief’s son beats up motorist for complaining of damaging his car
Kayode Petirin, a son of an ex-Chief of Defence Staff, Oluseyi Petition, has reportedly beaten up a Lagos motorist, identified as Sola, for daring to complain about his damaged car hit by Kayode.
The assault was said to have taken place in the CMS area of Lagos.
PUNCH Metro reported that Kayode, who is a naval officer, damaged Sola’s car while trying to manoeuvre on the Bus Rapid Transit lane along the axis on Tuesday.
It was learnt that when Sola complained about his damaged car, the officer allegedly beat him up.
Sola said he was planning to take the car to the palace of the Elegushi for royal blessing when the incident happened.
He said, “I was driving along CMS and there was traffic; everybody was driving orderly, but he (Kayode) just wanted to come in front of me and I had already passed where he could enter from.
READ ALSO:
- ICPC docks NSCDC Official over Alleged N12.2m Employment Scam
- I’m not merging with any candidate, party – Kwankwaso
- Don’t buy meter, transformer, wires, NERC tells electricity consumers
“So, he tried to squeeze his way in and hit my car. I got out of my car to see the damage and I challenged him that what he did was wrong. But he just came out and told me to get back into my car.
“I reported him to a policeman around the area, and when the man challenged him, he showed the man his ID card. I told him that if he’s a naval officer, that did not give him the right to hit my car.
“Then he started punching me. I have a deep cut on my lips. My hand was bruised, and I was seriously injured in the attack.”
Sola said he reported the case at the Maroko Police Station, adding that the DPO called the military police to follow him to Kayode’s house.
He, however, said some Air Force officers guarding the house threatened to shoot if they got closer to the gate.
“I followed him all the way from CMS to know where he lives. I then called the palace to tell them what happened. That was when kabiyesi sent two men to meet me.
“On getting there, they said I should take the legal route by reporting at the nearest police station.
“We went to Maroko Police Station; the DPO, Ganiu Raji, called the military police to inform them what the military man did.
“When we got his house, two military men came out and stopped us before we could get closer. They said they were going to shoot us. The military guys said the house belonged to a former general, and we had no right to come there.
READ ALSO:
- 2023: ‘Disgusted’ Fani-Kayode Slams Channels TV Journalists Over Tinubu ‘Slander’
- Peter Obi to speak at Chatham House Jan 16
- LASPOTECH Staff School Student’s death: three workers of the institution remanded
“The most annoying thing is that I was driving the car to the palace so that they could pray for me. It’s a new car; a BMW series,” he added.
The spokesperson for the Navy, Commodore Adedotun Ayo-Vaughan, described Kayode as one of the bad eggs in the service.
Ayo-Vaughan revealed that the officer was recently suspended, while his rank was reduced.
He said, “This Petinrin (Kayode) was just disciplined. In fact, his rank was reduced because of a similar issue. He is one of the bad eggs that we are managing and that is because he is our son and brother.
“I will take it up; I will call the chief staff officer so that our naval police can invite him. I will send what you have sent to me to them so as to follow up from there.”
The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident.
He said the police did not go to the house to avert a face-off.
Hundeyin said, “The DPO informed the military police; but it turned out that the Air Force personnel there threatened to shoot the military police if they did not leave that place immediately. The military police had to withdraw.”
The police spokesperson said the property belonged to the Air Force, adding that efforts were being made to officially inform the Air Force authorities about the case for further action.
metro
SERAP Urges Tinubu to Repeal ‘Unlawful’ Mass Surveillance Regulations
SERAP Urges Tinubu to Repeal ‘Unlawful’ Mass Surveillance Regulations
The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has formally called on President Bola Tinubu to withdraw the Lawful Interception of Communications Regulations, 2019, describing them as unconstitutional, unlawful, and inconsistent with Nigeria’s international human rights obligations. The demand follows allegations that the phone of National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu was intercepted, raising national concerns about phone tapping, mass surveillance, and privacy rights in Nigeria.
In a letter dated 21 February 2026 and signed by SERAP Deputy Director Kolawole Oluwadare, the civil rights organisation urged Tinubu to direct Bosun Tijani, Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, to repeal the regulations immediately. SERAP also called for a transparent legislative process to develop lawful interception laws that comply with constitutional safeguards, judicial oversight, and international human rights standards.
READ ALSO:
- Trump Imposes 15% Global Tariff Hours After Supreme Court Blocks Previous Tariffs
- APC Wins Rivers Ahoada East State Constituency II Bye‑Election
- Opposition Weakens as Another Governor Eyes APC Move
The organisation criticised the regulations for granting broad and vague powers to intercept communications on grounds such as “national security,” “economic wellbeing,” or “public emergency” without sufficient judicial safeguards, transparency, or independent oversight. SERAP warned that these powers risk being weaponised against journalists, civil society, political opponents, and election observers, especially as Nigeria approaches the 2027 general elections.
According to SERAP, the current framework allows interception without a warrant in situations involving consent, threats to life, or the ordinary course of business. It also expands the category of “authorised agencies” arbitrarily and fails to provide adequate safeguards for the protection of private communications, encryption, and data storage. The organisation emphasised that such practices violate Section 37 of the Nigerian Constitution and international human rights obligations.
SERAP highlighted that secret surveillance and bulk data collection create significant risks of misuse, profiling, and political manipulation. The organisation noted that mass surveillance measures must comply with legality, necessity, proportionality, and prior judicial authorisation, with clear oversight mechanisms and remedies for affected individuals.
The civil society group warned that if the government fails to act within seven days of the letter’s publication, it would pursue legal action to compel compliance, reiterating that privacy and freedom of expression are essential for free and fair elections and democratic governance.
The call by SERAP adds to growing public debates about data privacy, lawful interception, and accountability in Nigeria. Observers argue that without reform, the regulations could undermine journalistic independence, political participation, and citizens’ trust in digital communication.
SERAP Urges Tinubu to Repeal ‘Unlawful’ Mass Surveillance Regulations
metro
₦13.7bn Payroll Fraud Claim Pits Audit Firm Against Osun Government
₦13.7bn Payroll Fraud Claim Pits Audit Firm Against Osun Government
An audit firm, Salivot Consulting Limited, has alleged a massive ₦13.7 billion annual payroll fraud involving thousands of ghost workers and pensioners in Osun State, triggering widespread public outrage and calls for transparency.
The allegation was disclosed by the firm’s Chief Executive Officer, Sadat Bakrin-Ottun, during an appearance on Politics Tonight on Channels Television. According to her, a 12-month forensic audit allegedly revealed that Osun State is losing about ₦13.7bn yearly to non-existent employees, unverifiable pensioners, and manipulated payroll records under the administration of Ademola Adeleke.
The audit reportedly identified 8,452 workers and 5,831 pensioners who allegedly failed to appear for physical and biometric verification. Bakrin-Ottun claimed the exercise exposed systemic payroll abuse across ministries, departments, and agencies, warning that the irregularities could not be dismissed as clerical errors. Among the most controversial findings, she alleged that one bank account linked to a single Bank Verification Number (BVN) received 962 salaries monthly, while another account was credited with 5,615 monthly salaries, pointing to deliberate payroll manipulation. She insisted the audit relied on biometric data, BVN analytics, and bank reconciliation records to validate these claims.
READ ALSO:
- Breaking: INEC Declares APC’s Joshua Ishaku Winner of Bwari Chairmanship Election
- FCT Poll: APC’s Maikalangu Wins AMAC Chairmanship as Collation Continues
- FCT Poll: INEC Declares PDP’s Kasim Winner of Gwagwalada Chairmanship
The Osun State Government has strongly rejected the ₦13.7bn payroll fraud allegation, accusing Salivot Consulting Limited of professional misconduct, data exaggeration, and misrepresentation. State officials claimed that only 1,316 workers remain unverified, adding that several individuals flagged by the firm are legitimate employees, whom the government declined to remove from the payroll “in good conscience.” Officials also insisted that payroll reforms have reduced the state’s monthly wage bill by about ₦1 billion, dismissing the fraud claim as misleading and politically motivated.
Bakrin-Ottun, however, dismissed the government’s rebuttal, maintaining that the audit was thorough, transparent, and evidence-driven. She alleged that while Governor Adeleke initially supported the exercise, implementation stalled after the audit report was submitted in July 2024. She claimed relations broke down after she demanded accountability for the allegedly siphoned funds, leading to tensions with senior officials, including the Chief of Staff.
The firm’s legal counsel, J.T.O. Uwazuruike, said the dispute has now escalated beyond unpaid consultancy fees. Salivot Consulting plans to petition the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to investigate those allegedly responsible for diverting billions of naira from the state treasury. While the government has yet to specifically address claims of multiple salary payments into single accounts, labour unions, civil society groups, and residents continue to demand a forensic, independent probe to verify the state payroll system.
₦13.7bn Payroll Fraud Claim Pits Audit Firm Against Osun Government
metro
Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare
Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare
Nigerian TikTok sensation and streamer, Habeeb Hamzat, popularly known as Peller, has narrowly escaped injury following a generator fire incident at his residence.
The social media influencer disclosed the incident on Saturday via his verified Instagram page, where he shared a video capturing the early-morning blaze. In the footage, flames could be seen engulfing his generator as Peller, visibly shaken, cried out for help while neighbors and occupants rushed to contain the fire.
After sustained efforts using buckets of water, the fire was eventually brought under control. The generator was completely destroyed, but the building itself and everyone inside the house were spared, preventing what could have escalated into a major tragedy.
Shortly after the incident, fans and followers flooded his comment section with messages of relief and gratitude, praising the swift response that prevented loss of life or further property damage. The video also circulated widely across other social media platforms, where viewers raised concerns about generator safety, ventilation, and fire preparedness in residential areas.
READ ALSO:
- Abuja Church Expels Newly Married Woman Over Refusal to Consummate Marriage
- Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom
- Scientists Warn Popular Hair Extensions Contain Cancer‑Linked Chemicals
As of the time of filing this report, the exact cause of the fire had not been independently confirmed, though preliminary reactions online speculated about possible fuel-related or electrical issues.
Earlier Lekki–Epe Expressway Incident
The generator fire comes months after Peller survived a separate and highly publicized scare along the Lekki–Epe Expressway.
During that earlier episode, which unfolded during a widely shared livestream, the influencer was seen driving while emotionally distressed. The broadcast, titled “RIP Peller,” sparked widespread concern after he made a series of alarming remarks that unsettled viewers.
At the time, Peller appeared agitated during a phone conversation believed to involve his girlfriend, amid online speculation about personal relationship challenges. The livestream ended abruptly after the vehicle was involved in a crash, though Peller later confirmed he survived the incident.
The back-to-back scares have renewed conversations among fans and industry observers about mental health awareness, content moderation during livestreams, and personal safety, particularly for young influencers who share real-time experiences with large audiences.
Despite the incidents, Peller has continued to engage his followers and has expressed appreciation for the overwhelming support he has received.
Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare
-
Politics2 days agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
International3 days agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
News2 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
Education16 hours agoUTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
-
International2 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
metro3 days agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
metro3 days agoOndo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
-
Politics3 days agoUpdated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64


