Petitions trail UI VC selection committee - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Petitions trail UI VC selection committee

Published

on

Some members of the University of Ibadan academic community have expressed displeasure over the election of members of the community to join the Joint Council Senate Committee of the institution in the selection of its new vice-chancellor.
There are 18 contestants for the position of vice-chancellor of the premier university.
The Joint Senate Council Committee of the university had elected two members of the council committee to join other top authorities of the institution in selecting a new vice-chancellor.
But some members of the community have faulted the method used in the election of the two members.
A petition signed by Prof. Ademola Dasylva of the Department of English of the institution, stated that the whole exercise and outcome of the activities of the committee was “a far cry from credible”.

He noted that the platform for e-voting by the committee to select a new vice-chancellor for the institution was allegedly compromised and manipulated.

“There were two windows associated with the platform, one was meant to display the cumulative votes for each candidate. The other was to display the actual votes that accrued to each of the contestants.

“At the beginning of the exercise, a request was made for the open display of the voting process for close public viewing to ensure transparency; unfortunately, this was not done.

“Instead, the tellers were given a link through which they could check vote counts.

“What was accessible through the link was the first window, which displayed the cumulative votes, denying the tellers access to the second window which should display the actual votes accruing to each of the contestants,” he said in the petition.

Other petitions, directed to the council chairman of the institution, cited various alleged irregularities in the process of appointing a new vice-chancellor for the university.

The petitioners stated that the result of the September 21 election of the two members by the committee was not free and fair.

They requested the council committee to set up an investigation to look into the electoral process.

“I am also constrained to request that the entire election and the results released be nullified.

“Let there be a repeat election to be organised by an external body and monitored by the Joint Council Senate Committee”, one of the petitioners said, pleading anonymity.

Also, pleading anonymity, another petitioner said, “The list (and details) of eligible members of the senate member who had been accredited to vote in the election was not displayed (hard copy or electronically) before the election to enable confirmation of details and validation of those eligible to participate in the election”.
He said that the distribution of the votes in the final result released did not follow the distribution expected of “free and fair” elections.

“There are confirmed reports of conference voting in some offices on campus.
“This violates the most important principle of e-voting which is the enablement of individual voting from individual personal computers.

“The question begging for an answer is if the voters who undertook conference voting normally go to the said offices to read their emails on a daily basis,” the petitioner said.

He noted that the platform for e-voting was allegedly compromised and manipulated.

Others who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria on condition of anonymity, said that the whole process for appointing a new vice-chancellor for the institution was compromised.
But Tunji Oladejo, the Public Relations Officer of the institution, in an interview, denied receiving any petitions written to discredit the process of appointing a new vice-chancellor for the university.

“I am not aware of any petition written to the Council Chairman Nde Waklek who is also the Pro- Chancellor, University of Ibadan,” Oladejo said

Loading

Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Abel Enitan Replaces Walson-Jack as Head of Civil Service as Tinubu Lauds Outgoing HOS

Published

on

Abel Enitan Replaces Walson-Jack as Head of Civil Service as Tinubu Lauds Outgoing HOS
Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan and Didi Esther Walson-Jack

Abel Enitan Replaces Walson-Jack as Head of Civil Service as Tinubu Lauds Outgoing HOS

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, with the appointment taking effect from August 27, 2026, as he succeeds Didi Esther Walson-Jack, who retires upon attaining the statutory retirement age of 60. The announcement was made on Wednesday in a statement issued by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, confirming that Enitan, an indigene of Osun State, is currently the most senior Permanent Secretary in the Federal Civil Service, having served in that capacity for seven years and seven months.

Enitan brings extensive institutional knowledge to his new role, having served as Permanent Secretary in several strategic government institutions, with his previous postings including the Ministry of Police Affairs, the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, and the Office of the Vice President, while he is currently the Permanent Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Education. The Presidency noted that his experience across critical arms of the Federal Government has equipped him with considerable institutional knowledge and a deep understanding of the operations and challenges of the Federal Civil Service, positioning him well to lead the bureaucracy at this critical time.

READ ALSO:

President Tinubu charged the incoming Head of the Civil Service to consolidate the reforms and innovations already underway in the Civil Service and to further strengthen professionalism and efficiency across government ministries, departments and agencies, specifically tasking Enitan with building a more effective and responsive Civil Service capable of delivering the objectives of the administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda. He further urged Enitan to lead a Civil Service that is professional, merit-driven, accountable, innovative and responsive to Nigerians’ needs and aspirations, setting a clear expectation for the kind of leadership required to transform the federal bureaucracy.

President Tinubu expressed profound appreciation to Mrs Walson-Jack for what he described as her distinguished service to the nation, stating that the outgoing Head of Service contributed significantly to reforms, innovations and improvements recorded in the Civil Service during her tenure. The President wished her a fulfilling and successful life after retirement and conveyed the nation’s gratitude for her years of dedicated and impactful public service, acknowledging her contributions to the development of the civil service.

Enitan was born on December 12, 1966, and had his secondary education at Ajibode Grammar School, Ibadan, and the College of Arts and Science, Ile-Ife, before proceeding to the University of Lagos, where he graduated in 1988 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Finance and Banking, and later obtained a Master of Science degree in Public Policy Analysis from Nasarawa State University, Lafia, in 2015. Enitan will formally assume office on August 27, 2026, following Walson-Jack’s retirement, and his appointment places a career civil servant with extensive experience across several ministries and government offices at the helm of the Federal Civil Service as the Tinubu administration continues to implement its reform agenda.

Abel Enitan Replaces Walson-Jack as Head of Civil Service as Tinubu Lauds Outgoing HOS

Loading

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND

Published

on

Tinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND

Tinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND

President Bola Tinubu has directed that eligible liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) be transferred to the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) as part of efforts to strengthen the long-term financing of Nigeria’s student loan programme.

The President also approved the transfer of unclaimed dividends held under the Capital Market Trust Fund and the Dormant Account Trust Fund to NELFUND.

Minister of Education, Dr Tunji Alausa, disclosed the decisions on Wednesday while briefing State House correspondents after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided over by Tinubu at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.

The meeting was the Council’s first sitting since June 29.

Alausa said the President had directed the transfer of EFCC recoveries to NELFUND to enable the Fund to meet its growing financial obligations.

“The President has now directed that all funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission be diverted to NELFUND to continue to support its funding,” the minister said.

He clarified, however, that the directive applies specifically to liquid cash recoveries and does not include seized properties or other non-cash assets.

“Not seized properties, or recovered looted funds, but liquid funds, from the EFCC will now be transferred to NELFUND,” Alausa said.

The minister further explained that the government would not transfer money that remains subject to legal disputes. Only funds that have been cleared, are unencumbered and are legally available for use will qualify.

“Every single fund that is still subject to a legal challenge will not be part of the money that will be transferred to NELFUND,” he said.

The directive could provide a significant additional funding stream for NELFUND, which has experienced increasing demand since the Federal Government introduced its student loan programme.

The EFCC has recovered substantial sums from financial crimes over the years. The agency reported recovering more than N566 billion and $411 million in monetary assets between October 2023 and September 2025, in addition to other foreign currencies and non-monetary assets.

However, the entire recovery figure will not automatically be transferred to NELFUND because the President’s directive is limited to eligible liquid and legally cleared funds.

READ ALSO:

The government is also targeting Nigeria’s growing pool of unclaimed dividends, currently estimated at approximately N242 billion.

Unclaimed dividends have accumulated over the years due to factors including outdated shareholder information, unresolved estate matters involving deceased investors and difficulties linking some shareholder records with bank accounts.

Alausa said Tinubu had directed Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), to work with the Ministries of Finance and Education and the Debt Management Office (DMO) to establish the legal framework for moving the unclaimed funds to NELFUND.

The officials are expected to review the laws governing the relevant trust funds and determine how the transfer can be carried out without violating existing legal provisions.

The proposed transfer does not mean legitimate owners of unclaimed dividends will lose their rights. Eligible shareholders can still make claims through the procedures established by the relevant regulatory authorities.

The move comes as NELFUND continues to expand its support for students in Nigerian public tertiary institutions.

Alausa said more than 1.2 million Nigerian students were already benefiting from the Fund, while NELFUND had disbursed more than N93 billion in student stipends and over N250 billion in institutional fees to public institutions across the country.

The latest figures published on NELFUND’s platform indicate that the programme has continued to grow, with more than 1.39 million students registered and more than 1.69 million loan applications recorded.

The student loan scheme is intended to reduce financial barriers to higher education by providing eligible students with access to funding for institutional charges and upkeep.

Beyond student financing, the Federal Executive Council approved an Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Business Incubation Certification Programme for 14 federal universities.

The initiative is designed to equip students with practical skills in entrepreneurship, innovation, business incubation and enterprise development, while providing digital certification, mentorship and incubation support.

READ ALSO:

The 14 universities selected for the initial phase are Ahmadu Bello University, Bayero University Kano, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Obafemi Awolowo University, University of Abuja, University of Benin, University of Ibadan, University of Ilorin, University of Jos, University of Lagos, University of Maiduguri, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, University of Port Harcourt and Usmanu Danfodiyo University.

According to Alausa, the programme had previously been tested at the University of Lagos, where it was found to improve students’ capacity to develop businesses, innovate and create employment.

The Council also approved additional funding for the completion of the long-delayed National Library of Nigeria headquarters complex in Abuja.

The National Library project was initiated in April 2006 with an original two-year completion timeline, but construction stalled in October 2008.

Alausa said Tinubu had directed the government to find funding to revive the project, including support from TETFund.

He also disclosed that First Lady Senator Oluremi Tinubu had directed that gifts received for her last birthday be channelled towards the National Library project, helping to raise about N25 billion.

The total augmentation approved for the project is approximately N155 billion, comprising about N118.309 billion for construction works and roughly N37 billion for furnishing.

The minister said the government expected construction work to resume within the next few months.

The Council also approved the establishment of the Academy for Gifted and Talented Children, transforming the existing Suleja Academy into an autonomous institution with its own governing board and council.

The academy was originally established to identify and nurture gifted Nigerian children but had subsequently operated largely as a conventional federal government college.

Under the new arrangement, the academy will have multiple funding sources, including government appropriations, endowments and donations.

Alausa said the objective was to identify exceptionally talented children across Nigeria and provide them with the specialised education and support needed to develop their abilities.

The Attorney-General has been directed to prepare an executive bill for transmission to the National Assembly to establish the necessary legal framework for the academy.

The decisions announced after Wednesday’s FEC meeting reflect the Federal Government’s broader focus on higher education financing, student loans, entrepreneurship, infrastructure and specialised education.

For NELFUND, the proposed access to eligible EFCC cash recoveries and unclaimed funds could significantly broaden its financing base and provide additional resources to support students as demand for the loan programme continues to rise.

The government will now have to work out the legal and administrative mechanisms for the transfers while ensuring that funds under litigation are excluded and the rights of legitimate beneficiaries of unclaimed dividends remain protected.

Tinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND

Loading

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu appoints Enitan as Head of Civil Service

Published

on

Tinubu appoints Enitan as Head of Civil Service

 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed the Permanent Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Education, Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan, as the new Head of the Civil Service of the Federation.

 

Enitan, who is the most senior Permanent Secretary in the Federal Civil Service, will assume office on August 27, 2026, following the retirement of the incumbent Head of Service, Mrs Didi Esther Walson-Jack.

 

The appointment was announced in a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, on Wednesday.

 

A native of Osun State, Enitan has spent more than seven years as a Permanent Secretary, serving in the Ministry of Police Affairs, Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and the Office of the Vice President before his current posting to the Federal Ministry of Education.

 

With seven years and seven months of experience at the Permanent Secretary level, Enitan is expected to bring extensive institutional knowledge and experience to the leadership of the Federal Civil Service.

 

Onanuga said President Tinubu appreciated Walson-Jack for her “distinguished service” to the nation, particularly her contributions to reforms, innovations and improved performance within the Civil Service during her tenure.

 

The President wished the outgoing Head of Service a fulfilling post-retirement life and expressed the nation’s gratitude for her years of dedicated public service.

 

Tinubu charged Enitan to sustain and build on the reforms and innovations already introduced in the Civil Service, while deepening professionalism, efficiency and responsiveness across the system.

 

The President also urged the incoming Head of Service to promote a Civil Service that is merit-driven, accountable, innovative and capable of responding effectively to the needs and aspirations of Nigerians.

 

The administration said the appointment was part of efforts to strengthen the Federal Civil Service and improve its capacity to deliver on the Renewed Hope Agenda.

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending