metro
Herdsmen: Ogun monarchs, residents accuse soldiers of assault
Some monarchs and residents of Ketu-speaking villages in the Yewa North Local Government Area of Ogun State have accused some soldiers from 35 Artillery Brigade Alamala, Abeokuta of flogging them for preventing herdsmen to from grazing in their communities.
They told The Nation that the soldiers, numbering about 10, humiliated them when they escorted the herders to graze in their villages.
One of the residents, identified simply as Mulero, was said to have been beaten mercilessly, leaving him with serious injuries, for insisting that the herdsmen would not be allowed to graze.
It was also gathered that traditional rulers were beaten after they were forced to convoke a meeting.
According to them, the herdsmen, who had departed the village after their continued presence was rejected suddenly resurfaced about 2pm on December 19, 2020 with the soldiers from the 35 Artillery Brigade, Alamala, Abeokuta.
The soldiers headed straight to the palace of the traditional ruler of the community, Chief Olaleye Adigun, calling out the villagers and warning them against preventing the evicted herdsmen from returning to the village.
It was in the middle of this strange encounter that the soldiers were told that the herders would not be allowed to remain in the community because of their brutal killing of residents and the destruction of their farmlands in recent times.
“Everyone was frightened by the action and utterances of the soldiers but I summoned courage to tell them how a Geography teacher Mr. Yomi Akinola, and two students of the Community High School, Ibeku, among others, were killed by the herdsmen while our women were raped and killed on their way to the farm,” a resident said
The resident also said, “Before I knew it, the herdsmen had motioned to the soldiers who immediately pulled me out of the audience and flogged me mercilessly with a wire whip. It was as if I stole something valuable.
“As I speak, my body still aches because of the wounds, even after I had been treated in a hospital.
“Numerous other villagers were subjected to the brutal act as the soldiers escorted the herdsmen from one village to another all in a bid to intimidate us into allowing them to graze on our farms.”
Indigenes of Iselu, Ibeku, Agbon-Ojodu, Asa and other villages were also assaulted by the soldiers at the instance of the herdsmen.
One of them, Gabriel, was said to be given deafening slaps after he was identified as one of those who resisted the herdsmen’s attempt to graze.
Narrating their ordeal in a petition, the traditional rulers said the herdsmen confirmed that they invited the soldiers to intimidate and beat them.
The traditional rulers are the Oniggua of Iggualand, Oba Micheal Dosumu; the Eselu of Iseluland, Oba Akintunde Akinyemi; and the Alademeso of Igan Alade, Oba Gabriel Olalowo.
The monarchs in a petition addressed to the Brigade Commander, 35 Artillery Brigade, Nigerian Army, Alamala, Abeokuta, titled, ‘Matter of urgency,’ dated January 7, 2020, said, “The Baale was asked to gather his subjects and people from nearby villages which he did.
“The soldiers told the people that the purpose of their visit was to inform them that the Fulani herders would be coming into their communities to graze cows.
“After their address, they asked if anyone had questions or comments to make in reaction to the information. Expectedly, one Mr Seye Mulero responded by calling the attention of the soldiers to the inherent challenges of allowing the herders in their communities based on the sad previous experiences in the community.
“That the said Seye Mulero further cited past killings, maiming and destruction of farms to buttress his point. Sadly, at this point, the soldiers seized him and mercilessly beat him up.
“In the same manner, the Fulani herders in company with the suspected soldiers left Ibeku for Asa, the adjoining village, to address the Baale of Asa and his subjects as they had earlier done at Ibeku, the people refused to respond, having heard what transpired at Ibeku.
“However, one of the Fulani herders sighted some people in the audience and picked on them as those that purportedly shouted on them at Ibeku while brutalising their victim (Seye Mulero). The herders asked the soldiers to also deal with them.”
metro
Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder
Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder
President Bola Tinubu has summoned Ondo State Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa to Abuja following deadly violence during the All Progressives Congress (APC) ward congresses in Ondo State, which reportedly claimed four lives in Idanre and Akure North local government areas.
The President was said to be deeply disturbed by the killings, which occurred during what was expected to be a routine APC ward congress, especially in a state firmly controlled by the ruling party.
A senior government source in Akure disclosed that Governor Aiyedatiwa travelled to Abuja on Thursday after receiving the summons, following a series of security reports submitted to the Presidency detailing the violence that erupted during the APC congresses in Ondo State.
According to the source, the governor had earlier lined up activities to mark his one-year anniversary in office, but was forced to scale down the programme due to the presidential invitation.
The governor reportedly left Akure shortly after inaugurating the Igoba and Alagbaka Extension roads, without waiting for the commissioning of the 100,000-litre water supply project at the Federal University of Technology Akure Teaching Hospital (FUTATH) complex. His deputy, Dr. Olayide Adelami, represented him at other anniversary events.
READ ALSO:
- FCT Polls: S’Court, A’Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities
- Lassa Fever Deaths in Nigeria Rise to 51 After 15 Killed in Early February – NCDC
- Mob Kills Injured Motorcycle Rider After AK‑47 Rifles, Ammunition Found in Crash Scene
The source revealed that the summons was issued late Wednesday night, following the President’s review of multiple intelligence briefings.
“President Tinubu is said to be very angry over the Ondo killings and wants a clear explanation of what went wrong, particularly as the violence occurred within the APC, where there is no strong opposition,” the source said.
While it could not be independently confirmed if the governor met with the President, Aiyedatiwa was said to have returned to Akure later on Thursday, having been in Abuja ahead of a meeting expected on Friday.
Security Tension Deepens as Traditional Ruler Is Killed
Meanwhile, the security crisis in Ondo State worsened following the killing of the traditional ruler of Agamo Town, Oba Kehinde Jacob Faledun, who was murdered by suspected gunmen inside his palace on February 18, 2026, at about 7:10 p.m.
The killing triggered widespread fear and condemnation, prompting a swift response from security agencies.
The Ondo State Commissioner of Police, Adebowale Lawal, led a high-powered security delegation—including the Nigerian Army, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), and the Department of State Services (DSS)—to the community.
Lawal assured residents that the police and military would track down the killers, stressing that justice would be served.
Preliminary investigations revealed that about six masked gunmen allegedly stormed the monarch’s residence, forcibly abducted him, and attacked him violently, leading to his death.
The Commissioner confirmed the deployment of additional security personnel, including tactical teams and operational assets, to Agamo and neighbouring communities, urging residents to provide credible intelligence to aid investigations.
He reassured the people of Ondo State that security agencies would continue to work together to restore peace, maintain stability, and protect lives and property.
Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder
metro
FCT Polls: S’Court, A’Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities
FCT Polls: S’Court, A’Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities
The Supreme Court of Nigeria and the Court of Appeal Nigeria on Friday continued judicial activities despite a public holiday declared by FCT Minister Nyesom Wike ahead of the FCT Area Council elections in Abuja.
At the apex court, Justices heard cases earlier fixed for hearing, while panels of the Court of Appeal delivered rulings and judgments in several matters, including commercial and contract disputes. Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs) and other lawyers were present in court, underscoring the independence of the judiciary despite the declared holiday.
In contrast, judicial activities at lower courts in the FCT were largely paralysed. The FCT High Court fully complied with the public holiday directive and shut down operations. Meanwhile, courtrooms at the Federal High Court near the Ministry of Justice headquarters were opened, but no judges sat, leaving matters unattended.
READ ALSO:
- Lassa Fever Deaths in Nigeria Rise to 51 After 15 Killed in Early February – NCDC
- Mob Kills Injured Motorcycle Rider After AK‑47 Rifles, Ammunition Found in Crash Scene
- Tacha Condemns False Rape Allegations After Mirabel Admits Fabrication
Wike had earlier declared Friday a work-free day in the Federal Capital Territory to allow residents participate in the Area Council elections scheduled for Saturday. The declaration was accompanied by a restriction of movement, which authorities said was aimed at ensuring security and orderly conduct of the polls.
However, the decision triggered strong criticism from civil society organisations, who described it as arbitrary, disruptive and lacking legal precedent. The Policy and Legal Advocacy Centre (PLAC) said no clear legal or administrative justification was provided for what it termed a sweeping shutdown of Abuja.
In a statement signed by PLAC Executive Director Clement Nwankwo, the organisation acknowledged that encouraging voter participation is legitimate but stressed that governance actions must remain lawful, proportionate and consultative.
PLAC added that the sudden public holiday disrupted businesses, schools and workplaces across the FCT, affecting students, workers and entrepreneurs, and creating what it described as avoidable anxiety rather than confidence in the electoral process.
The development has renewed debate over the limits of executive authority, the autonomy of the judiciary, and the need for transparent decision-making during elections in Nigeria.
FCT Polls: S’Court, A’Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities
metro
Mob Kills Injured Motorcycle Rider After AK‑47 Rifles, Ammunition Found in Crash Scene
Mob Kills Injured Motorcycle Rider After AK‑47 Rifles, Ammunition Found in Crash Scene
A motorcycle accident in Niger State turned deadly when an injured rider was beaten to death by a mob after a sack recovered from the crash scene was found to contain three AK‑47 rifles, six magazines, and 104 rounds of ammunition, police have confirmed. The incident occurred on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, along the Boyi‑Sarki/Toll Gate area in Suleja, as the riders travelled from Tafa in Kaduna State towards Abuja.
According to the Niger State Police Command, two men on a motorcycle collided with a road construction/diversion barrier in a lone accident. One rider died instantly from injuries sustained in the crash, while the second, who was injured, was lynched by a crowd that had gathered under the guise of helping. Both corpses were later taken to the General Hospital morgue in Suleja.
READ ALSO:
- Tacha Condemns False Rape Allegations After Mirabel Admits Fabrication
- UK Court Hands Life Sentence to Nigerian Teen for Knife Attack Killing
- Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
Police confirmed that a sack belonging to the victims contained three AK‑47 rifles, six magazines, and 104 rounds of live ammunition, raising concerns about illegal firearms trafficking and potential criminal activity along the busy Kaduna‑Abuja corridor.
The Commissioner of Police, CP Adamu Abdullahi Elleman, condemned the act of jungle justice, stating that the injured rider could have assisted police in tracing the source of the weapons and exposing criminal networks. CP Elleman directed the Area Commander in Suleja to conduct a thorough investigation and arrest the perpetrators. The recovered rifles are currently undergoing ballistic analysis for further investigation.
The Niger State Police Command emphasised that mob justice endangers lives, obstructs investigations, and undermines the rule of law. Authorities called on citizens to report crimes and suspicious activities to law enforcement rather than resorting to violence.
Security analysts warn that incidents like this highlight broader challenges in parts of northern Nigeria, including illegal arms proliferation, mob violence, and the risks of self-help justice. Communities are urged to cooperate with law enforcement to ensure public safety and accountability.
Mob Kills Injured Motorcycle Rider After AK‑47 Rifles, Ammunition Found in Crash Scene
-
International2 days agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
Politics16 hours agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
News3 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
News22 hours agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
Health3 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
-
Entertainment3 days agoActress Destiny Etiko Breaks Silence on Alleged Nollywood Betrayal
-
metro2 days agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
International24 hours agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis



You must be logged in to post a comment Login