EFCC says its ‘X’ account undergoing upgrade - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

EFCC says its ‘X’ account undergoing upgrade

Published

on

EFCC says its ‘X’ account undergoing upgrade

The Economic and Financial Crimes Crime Commission (EFCC) says its ‘X’ account is being updated to ensure that it has a more globally account.

EFCC Spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja:”our X account is  down temporarily due to ongoing upgrade and we will soon bounce back.

`You know when there is an upgrade in a system, it may be temporarily down and inaccessible. We doing the upgrade to serve the public better.

“You can see that other social media pages of the commission are still functional”.

He said that the anti-graft agency was also updating its records on the account.

READ ALSO:

”Our account was not hacked. It will soon start running,” he said.

Checks by NAN on Thursday showed that the landing page of the account, which had over two million followers, reads: ‘The term you entered did not bring up any results. Please try again later’.

However, the agency’s website and other social media pages, such as Facebook and Instagram, are functional.

NAN reports that there are a number of reasons why accounts on the platform may not be accessible.

They include poor internet connection, uncleared cache, suspicious usage/attempted hack, to the flagging of the handle for a violation of X policies.

EFCC says its ‘X’ account undergoing upgrade

(NAN)

metro

Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks

Published

on

commercial drone

Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks

The Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) has reportedly acquired about 35 commercial drones, marking a dangerous escalation in insurgent tactics and raising fresh security concerns for Nigeria’s military operations in the north-east and north-west regions.

Security assessments indicate that the drones are largely First-Person View (FPV) quadcopters, a low-cost but highly effective technology increasingly used by non-state armed groups globally. Unlike conventional surveillance drones, FPV systems allow operators to guide drones in real time using video goggles, enabling precise navigation and target selection on the battlefield.

The reported acquisition comes months after air and drone strikes ordered by Donald Trump targeted insurgent positions in Sokoto State on Christmas Day 2025. Although those strikes were intended as a deterrent to militant groups operating along the Nigeria–Niger border, security analysts say insurgents have instead adapted by investing in mobile, hard-to-detect aerial platforms.

READ ALSO:

While insurgent groups in Nigeria have previously relied on drones mainly for intelligence gathering and surveillance, recent developments suggest ISWAP is preparing for offensive drone operations. Security experts warn that FPV drones can be modified to carry small explosive payloads and directed to detonate on impact, allowing militants to strike military assets, personnel, and defensive positions with greater accuracy.

Analysts say the use of such drones could enable repeated and sustained attacks on military formations rather than isolated raids. The availability of multiple drones also raises the risk of coordinated or swarm-style attacks, which could overwhelm troops and complicate traditional defensive measures.

Both ISWAP and Boko Haram have increasingly deployed drones alongside ground fighters during assaults on Forward Operating Bases and remote outposts, some of which have resulted in significant losses for government forces. Observers note that this tactical shift mirrors trends seen in the Ukraine war, where low-cost FPV drones have transformed modern combat by neutralising conventional military advantages.

Security commentators argue that Nigeria must urgently strengthen its counter-drone capabilities to maintain battlefield superiority. Recommended measures include greater investment in electronic warfare and signal-jamming systems, enhanced intelligence gathering, improved air-defence coverage for military bases, and expanded deployment of locally developed drone technologies.

Experts also stress the importance of tighter border controls and regional cooperation to disrupt the flow of drone components and technical expertise. They warn that failure to adapt quickly to the emerging drone-enabled insurgency could prolong insecurity across Nigeria’s conflict-affected regions and further strain military resources.

Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks

Continue Reading

metro

Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate

Published

on

An accident scene
File photo

Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate

– Brake Failure Suspected as Governor Orders Immediate Probe

Tragedy struck on Tuesday morning as seven persons lost their lives and two others sustained injuries in a multiple-vehicle crash at the busy Ota Toll Gate along the Lagos–Abeokuta Expressway.

The fatal collision, which occurred during peak traffic hours, reportedly involved a fully loaded trailer suspected to have suffered brake failure before ramming into smaller vehicles, including a commercial tricycle and a mini-bus. Eyewitness accounts described scenes of panic as the out-of-control truck ploughed into vehicles waiting near the toll gate.

Emergency responders from the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), and the Nigeria Police swiftly arrived at the scene to rescue victims and clear the wreckage.

The injured victims were rushed to nearby hospitals for medical attention, while the remains of the deceased were deposited at a state mortuary.

“The truck was speeding and suddenly lost control. People were shouting and running for safety,” an eyewitness told reporters at the scene.

READ ALSO:

In a statement issued hours after the incident, Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, expressed deep sorrow over the loss of lives and ordered a comprehensive investigation into the cause of the crash. He condemned reckless driving and poor vehicle maintenance, particularly among heavy-duty truck operators.

“This avoidable tragedy underscores the urgent need for strict adherence to traffic regulations and proper vehicle maintenance,” the governor stated.

Motorists experienced heavy gridlock along the expressway as officials worked for several hours to restore normal traffic flow. Authorities have reiterated calls for drivers to exercise caution and ensure their vehicles are roadworthy before embarking on journeys.

The Lagos–Abeokuta corridor, especially around Sango–Ota, has witnessed repeated fatal accidents over the years, raising concerns among residents and commuters about road safety enforcement and infrastructure conditions.

Investigations into the exact cause of Tuesday’s crash are ongoing.

Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate

Continue Reading

metro

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

Published

on

TikToker and aesthetic vendor, Mirabel
TikToker and aesthetic vendor, Mirabel

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

A young woman identified as Mirabel has shared a harrowing account of a near-death experience following an alleged rape attack in her apartment in Lagos, triggering widespread outrage and calls for justice.

In a video posted on TikTok under the handle @mirab351, Mirabel said the incident occurred on Sunday morning after she opened her door, believing it was a neighbour. According to her account, she was overpowered and lost consciousness during the attack.

She later said she regained awareness to find an intruder assaulting her. The assailant allegedly left her injured before fleeing. Mirabel explained that she initially thought the bleeding she noticed afterward was menstrual, until she received disturbing messages from a man she identified as the suspect.

READ ALSO:

Screenshots shared by the victim show the suspect boasting about the attack and making threats intended to discourage her from seeking justice. The messages, which have circulated widely online, have drawn strong condemnation from the public.

In a follow-up video, Mirabel appeared visibly distressed and disclosed that she attempted to harm herself afterward but was rushed to hospital by a friend and survived. She thanked those who reached out in support and said she needed time to recover before engaging further.

The case has sparked an outpouring of sympathy from Nigerians across social media, with many demanding the immediate arrest and prosecution of the suspect and renewed action against sexual violence. Advocacy groups and citizens are urging law enforcement to ensure accountability and protect survivors.

Mirabel’s story has reignited conversations about women’s safety, survivor support, and the need for swift justice in Nigeria.

If you or someone you know is in danger or struggling after an assault, please seek immediate help from trusted people or local emergency services.

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending