IPOB says it's not part of Biafra Republic declaration in Finland - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

IPOB says it’s not part of Biafra Republic declaration in Finland

Published

on

Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB
Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB

IPOB says it’s not part of Biafra Republic declaration in Finland

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has disassociated itself from the purported declaration of United States of Biafra by loyalists of embattled Simon Ekpa, which took place on Saturday in Finland.

IPOB which denounced the declaration of the Biafra Republic in the European country, described it as a scam and shambolic act which has no bearing on the struggle for the actualization of Biafra embarked upon by the Nnamdi Kanu-led group.

Before he was arrested by the Finnish authorities, Ekpa, the self-acclaimed Prime Minister of the Biafra Republic Government In Exile (BRGIE), had fixed December 2 for declaration of Independent State of Biafra and despite his arrest and detention, members of his group went on with the declaration.

In a statement issued on Sunday by IPOB’s Media and Publicity Secretary, Emma Powerful, the group said there is no room for another Biafran declaration besides the one declared by late Dim Odimegwu Ojukwu, in 1967.

“The noble family and movement of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) led by the great and indomitable leader, Mazi Nnamdi Okwuchukwu Kanu, wishes to disassociate ourselves from the purported Biafra second declaration by an infamous no-name group. The so-called declaration is a scam,” Powerful said.

“It has become imperative to inform the international community, Biafrans, friends of Biafra, and lovers of Biafra freedom that Biafra has been declared by late Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu in 1967.

“IPOB is calling for a UN supervised referendum for Biafrans so that the declared sovereignty can be restored.

READ ALSO:

“Biafra cannot be declared for the second time by anyone. It is sad that some unscrupulous elements who failed in the mission to infiltrate and destroy IPOB went into the jamboree they claimed was Biafra’s second declaration outside the Biafra territory.

“Biafrans and IPOB, in particular, are happy that the fanfare the infiltrators had in Finland this weekend was ignored by all responsible media organisations.

“Those involved in the event in Finland were among the sponsors of insecurity in the South East Region. Their agenda is to destabilise the South East, divide the people, and divert the attention of Biafrans and those sympathetic to the Biafra struggle by making the genuine Biafra struggle unattractive to our people. They failed woefully.

“In the past, the leader of IPOB, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, was pressured by the enemies within and without to declare Biafra the second time, but he refused. Mazi Nnamdi Kanu is a brilliant freedom fighter who understands the seasons and times and the rules governing self-determination.

“When those enemies within and without failed to push Mazi Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB into untimely and unnecessary Biafra declaration, they joined a Nigerian government agent brought from Finland to destroy the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.

“They had already celebrated their foolishness, which they called Biafra declaration in Finland last weekend. IPOB is an informed movement championing the restoration of Biafra sovereignty and freedom and can not involve herself in self-deception and scamming people with the Biafra project.

“All those involved in the illusion and self-deception called Biafra declaration in Finland, are criminals, uninformed, and fake agents.

“Only fools rush where the angels dread to enter. Biafra struggle is a thing of the spirit because blood has been shed and sacrificed for this ultimate project. Any person, nation, or group of people who dare to obstruct the Biafra restoration will pay a heavy price.

READ ALSO:

“The Autopilot criminals making money from some of their ignorant followers to make international mockery of the Biafra struggle will all pay a price. IPOB will not come after them, but the blood of the fallen heroes of Biafra will chase and hunt them down.

“Therefore, Biafrans, friends of Biafra and lovers of Biafra freedom, must understand that the shambolic declaration of Biafra Independence in the far away land of Finland is a scam. Those who have funded infiltrators that gathered for a picnic in Finland have been scammed.

“Now that the infiltrators and agent of provocateurs have declared their independence in Finland, we hope they will enjoy their freedom and stop interfering with IPOB’s peaceful struggle end engagement for the restoration of Biafra Nation.

“Again, we reiterate that our eternal leader, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, declared Biafra Independence in Biafra Land in 1967. He and other Biafran men and women fought gallantly in an unprepared genocidal war to defend the declared territory of Biafra for three (3) years.

“General Dim Ojukwu had the support and backing of Ndigbo, Biafrans in general and Biafra Consultative Forum to declare for Biafra Independence in that period. Having declared Biafra once, though short-lived, on the strength of that declaration is where IPOB stands to demand for a UN supervised Referendum for Biafrans to decide their political future.

“Therefore, the idiocy exhibited by a group of nincompoops in Finland recently in the name of Biafra declaration is trash. It was a welcome development that they were ignored by the media and public because they did not exist.

“This press release is to keep the record straight and to disassociate IPOB and Mazi Nnamdi Kanu from the idiocy exhibited in Finland called Biafra second declaration. The Finland Biafra declaration is pure scam by some agent provocateurs.”

IPOB says it’s not part of Biafra Republic declaration in Finland

metro

Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger

Published

on

Police-Arrest

Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger

Security agencies in Niger State have arrested a village head and 33 other suspects following the killing of Police Constable Emmanuel Shamsi and the burning of an NSCDC patrol vehicle during a violent confrontation linked to illegal mining activities in Zuzungi, Katcha Local Government Area.

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Niger State Command, confirmed the arrests, stating that 34 suspects are now in custody. Nineteen of the suspects were apprehended at the village head’s residence in Zuzungi Gwari, Kataeregi, where they had sought refuge after the incident. The remaining fifteen suspects were intercepted while attempting to flee the community.

The deadly incident occurred last Wednesday during a joint security patrol involving the NSCDC, Nigeria Police Force (NPF), and the local Anti-Drugs Control (ADC) outfit. The patrol was conducted in the mining area operated by Millennium Metals Mining Company, as part of ongoing efforts to curb illegal mining and mineral smuggling in the state.

READ ALSO:

According to NSCDC Commandant Suberu Siyaka Aniviye, the security team intercepted individuals allegedly involved in illegal mining and the smuggling of minerals, but the suspects violently resisted. The confrontation escalated, leading to the destruction of an NSCDC patrol Hilux vehicle and the tragic death of Police Constable Emmanuel Shamsi in the line of duty. Security personnel tactically withdrew to prevent further casualties before launching an operation to apprehend the perpetrators.

Authorities describe the arrest of the village head and 33 others as part of a broader crackdown on criminal elements in Niger State’s mining communities. The arrests aim to ensure that justice is served for the slain officer and to reinforce lawful compliance within the solid minerals sector.

The incident has sparked condemnation from government officials, including Dr. Dele Alake, Minister of Solid Minerals Development, who described the killing as “criminal murder” and assured that security and intelligence agencies are on high alert. He further pledged that violent resistance to lawful mining operations will not be tolerated.

Illegal mining in northern Nigeria has increasingly resulted in violent confrontations with security forces, highlighting the risks faced by law enforcement and the need for stronger enforcement and community engagement to curb criminal activities. Investigations into the role of each suspect are ongoing as authorities prepare legal proceedings against those involved.

Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger

Continue Reading

metro

Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes

Published

on

Chairman of the Presidential Committee on Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms, Mr. Taiwo Oyedele
Taiwo Oyedele, Chairman of the Presidential Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms Committee

Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes

The Federal Government has dismissed claims that the Nigeria Tax Act 2025 imposes a 25% tax on building materials, construction-related funds, business expenses, or money in bank accounts. The government described the viral video circulating on social media as false and misleading, adding that the law, which has already taken effect, does not postpone implementation until 2027.

Taiwo Oyedele, Chairman of the Presidential Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms Committee, said the misinformation misrepresents the objectives of the Tax Act, which are to lower housing costs, support real estate development, and encourage economic growth. He clarified that the video’s claims — that the law would start in 2027 and impose a 25% levy on construction transactions — are both inaccurate.

Under the new law, several housing and construction reliefs have been introduced. Land and buildings are exempt from Value Added Tax (VAT) under Section 185(l), while contractors can recover VAT on materials and services, reducing overall construction expenses. The Withholding Tax (WHT) rate on construction contracts has been lowered to 2%, improving cash flow for developers. Individuals building owner-occupied homes can deduct mortgage interest, and property owners earning rental income may deduct expenses such as repairs, insurance, and agency fees. These provisions are designed to make housing projects more affordable and attractive to investors.

READ ALSO:

The Act also offers direct support for renters and low-income earners. Eligible tenants can claim rent relief of up to ₦500,000, equivalent to 20% of annual rent, while rent payments are fully exempt from VAT. Lease agreements below ₦10 million per year, or less than ten times the national minimum wage, are also exempt from stamp duty. These measures are expected to increase disposable income for low-income households and reduce the financial burden of housing.

Incentives under the Act extend to investors and businesses in the construction and real estate sectors. Individuals are exempt from Capital Gains Tax when selling a dwelling house or interest in one. Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) distributing at least 75% of dividends or rental income within 12 months are exempt from Companies Income Tax. Manufacturers of building materials, including iron, steel, and domestic appliances, may qualify for tax holidays of up to 10 years, while large businesses could see Companies Income Tax reduced from 30% to 25%. These provisions are intended to encourage investment, stimulate local production, and support the growth of the housing sector.

The Tax Act also includes provisions that relieve workers and small businesses. The taxable value of employer-provided accommodation is capped at 20% of an employee’s annual gross income, excluding rental value. Small companies that qualify under the Act will pay 0% Companies Income Tax, are exempt from charging VAT, and are not required to deduct Withholding Tax from invoices and payments. These measures reduce the compliance burden on smaller businesses and support entrepreneurship.

The committee also clarified what the Act does not include. It does not tax money in bank accounts, does not impose 25% taxes on construction costs or building materials, and does not delay implementation until 2027. Officials described claims suggesting otherwise as misleading and urged Nigerians to rely on verified government sources for accurate information. According to the committee, the Tax Act is intended to make housing more affordable, reduce rent, and stimulate economic growth, not to increase taxes on citizens or businesses.

Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes

Continue Reading

metro

Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community

Published

on

Public Relations Officer, Kwara State Police Command, SP Adetoun Ejire‑Adeyemi
Public Relations Officer, Kwara State Police Command, SP Adetoun Ejire‑Adeyemi

Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community

Barely 24 hours after armed bandits attacked communities in Patigi Local Government Area and Edu Local Government Area, suspected terrorists on Sunday night carried out a fresh attack on Share, the headquarters of Ifelodun Local Government Area, forcing residents to flee for safety.

The attack reportedly occurred around 8:00 pm, when heavily armed gunmen stormed the town and began shooting indiscriminately, throwing the community into panic and confusion. Residents said the sustained gunfire lasted for a prolonged period, prompting many families to abandon their homes and seek refuge in neighbouring areas.

Eyewitnesses, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the assailants appeared to be on a targeted mission, allegedly searching for specific individuals. One resident claimed the gunmen were looking for a person identified as Zulu Alfa Dako, adding that the attackers entered the town from a nearby axis.

Kidnappers have entered Share; everyone is running for safety,” a resident said. “They kept shooting endlessly and the whole town was thrown into chaos.”

READ ALSO:

Another resident, overwhelmed by fear, said while the attackers targeted some individuals, it was still unclear whether anyone was abducted during the operation.

“The gunmen entered the town and caused havoc by shooting non-stop. I don’t know if anyone has been kidnapped yet,” the resident said.

Efforts to get immediate comments from the Kwara State Police Command spokesperson, SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, were unsuccessful as of press time.

However, the Kwara State Government later confirmed that the attackers were repelled by security forces. The Special Assistant on Communication to Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, Ibrahim Abdullateef, said combined security operatives swiftly responded to distress calls and engaged the gunmen.

“Local security sources have reported that bandits that were reportedly attacking Share community, Ifelodun LGA, have been successfully repelled by combined security forces,” Abdullateef said in an update.

He added that the exchange of gunfire lasted for about one hour, noting that no death or abduction has been officially recorded so far, though security agencies are still monitoring the situation.

The latest attack came against the backdrop of rising insecurity in Kwara State, following bandit raids on communities in Edu and Patigi LGAs, where four people were kidnapped and several others injured. The back-to-back attacks have heightened fear among residents and renewed calls for stronger security presence, improved intelligence gathering, and sustained patrols across vulnerable communities.

Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending