metro

Abducted Ondo APC chairman killed after paying N5m ransom

Abducted Ondo APC chairman killed after paying N5m ransom

The abducted chairman of the All Progressives Congress(APC) in Ward 5, Ose Local Government Area of Ondo State, Mr Nelson Adepoyigi, has been reportedly killed by his abductors.

Adepoyigi was abducted on the evening of Monday, May 13, while attempting to park his car at his home in Ifon. His death has sent shockwaves through the local community, sparking renewed concerns over rising insecurity.

Confirming the incident, the Chairman of Ose Local Government, Mr. Kolapo Ojo, decried the worsening security conditions in the area.

“This pattern of brazen abductions, even at the very gates of people’s homes, confirms that insecurity has taken a dangerous and intolerable dimension,” Ojo said.

He expressed gratitude that the two individuals who delivered the ransom were released unharmed, but described Adepoyigi’s murder as a painful loss.

“We urge our people to remain vigilant, promptly report suspicious activities to the nearest security post, and stand united as we work together to overcome this threat,” he said.

READ ALSO:

“The entire leadership and people of Ose Local Government mourn this tragic loss. We extend our heartfelt condolences to the family, friends, and political associates of the deceased,” Ojo added.

He called on Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa to take firm action against kidnappers and criminal networks operating within the state.

According to Ojo, the late party chieftain was a dedicated figure committed to the progress of the APC and grassroots development.

In his honour, the local council has declared a three-day mourning period from Monday, May 19 to Wednesday, May 21. Flags at government offices in the area will fly at half-mast, and official functions will be held in a solemn tone.

“We are declaring a three-day mourning period in honour of Mr Nelson Adepoyigi, the slain APC Ward 5 Chairman who was recently abducted and killed by yet-to-be-identified assailants,” he said.

“In addition, official activities involving the office of the Chairman have been suspended, while all government-related events will be held in a subdued manner in honour of the deceased,” he added.

The kidnappers had earlier demanded N100 million ransom but later reduced it to N5 million and food items.

However, the two individuals who volunteered to deliver the ransom were held hostage by the kidnappers, demanding additional N30 million.

When contacted the Police Public Relations Officer(PPRO) in the state, DSP Olushola Ayanlade, said he could not confirmed the killing.

Abducted Ondo APC chairman killed after paying N5m ransom

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture

UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board…

7 hours ago

NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London

NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London The Nigerian National Petroleum Company…

11 hours ago

FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges

FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges The Nigeria Civil…

12 hours ago

ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election

ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election The African…

12 hours ago

Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers

Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers United States President, Donald Trump,…

12 hours ago

Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare

Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare Nigerian TikTok sensation and…

12 hours ago