metro
Again, bandits attack Kaduna village, kill five
Again, bandits attack Kaduna village, kill five
Gunmen suspected to be bandits wreaking havoc in Kaduna state have struck again killing at least five.
The deceased persons were killed on Monday when the armed non-state actors attacked Kajuru Local Government Area of the State.
A local, Luka Bulus, said the victims were killed while attending a village meeting at Ewehko community in Maro ward.
He disclosed that the bandits set some motorcycles of the victims ablaze during the attack at exactly 2:14 pm on Monday.
According to the source, the bodies of the victims were recovered from the scene of the incident.
READ ALSO:
- Igbo’s investments in Lagos not safe, says IPOB
- Euro 2024: Ronaldo-inspired Portugal confident of victory against Czech today
- Man kills wife over alleged extramarital affair
“Another tragic incident occurred in our community today (Monday). In broad daylight, bandits launched a deadly assault on Ewehko, popularly known as Unguwar Paul, a village under Maro Ward in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
“The attack happened at about 2:14 pm on 17/06/2024. As of the time of this report, the bodies of four men and one woman have been discovered. Search efforts are ongoing in the surrounding bushes for others who may still be missing.” Daily Post quoted him as saying.
Also another resident of the community, Reuben Maro, said houses were also torched, including the motorcycles of the people killed, adding that the bandits attacked the innocent villagers in broad daylight.
He said about six people were killed.
As of the time of filing this report, the state government has not issued any statement, concerning the attack.
Again, bandits attack Kaduna village, kill five
metro
Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity
Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity
The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has apologised to commuters after an air-conditioning malfunction disrupted services on the Oyingbo–Agbado Red Line corridor, leaving passengers stranded in uncomfortable conditions.
The disruption, which sparked complaints and viral social media videos showing overcrowded and overheated coaches, was traced to technical faults in the cooling system of one of the train sets. LAMATA acknowledged the inconvenience and said immediate steps were taken to rectify the issue.
In a statement signed by its Head of Corporate Communication, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, the agency said its technical and engineering teams had been deployed to diagnose and fix the root cause of the failure.
“Restoration works are ongoing, and efforts are being intensified to return the affected coaches to optimal operating condition as swiftly as possible. LAMATA remains firmly committed to delivering safe, efficient and world-class rail services,” Ojelabi said.
Beyond the immediate repairs, LAMATA announced plans to strengthen operations on the Red Line with the addition of 24 new coaches. The delivery, expected by the third quarter of 2026, will comprise three train sets of eight coaches each, aimed at improving capacity, reliability and passenger comfort along the busy corridor.
The agency assured residents that proactive measures are being taken to minimise future technical disruptions and enhance service quality across its rail network.
Meanwhile, the General Manager of the Lagos State Office for Disability Affairs (LASODA), Mrs Adenike Oyetunde-Lawal, commended LAMATA for its swift response and ongoing efforts to make public transport inclusive.
During a visit to LAMATA’s headquarters in Ojota, she lauded the accessibility features in the state’s buses and trains and proposed the creation of dedicated Disability Support Offices at major transport hubs to assist persons with disabilities.
According to her, such offices would serve as complaint and help desks, offering guidance and support to commuters who require assistance. She also pledged LASODA’s support in translating onboard information into sign language to enhance accessibility.
Responding, LAMATA Managing Director, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to ensuring safe and satisfactory travel for all commuters.
She noted that the Blue Line rail system is fully accessible to persons with disabilities and urged affected passengers to report any incidents of abuse or discrimination to uniformed officials.
As repairs continue on the affected Red Line coaches, LAMATA says passenger comfort and safety remain central to its operations.
metro
Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
The Osun State Government has awarded the 55.6-kilometre Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan road project to three contractors as part of a strategic effort to accelerate construction, improve inter-state connectivity, and stimulate economic activity along the busy southwestern corridor linking Osun and Oyo states.
According to the Osun State Ministry of Works and Transport, the road has been divided into three segments and awarded to Pecular Ultimate Concerns, Kimzee Global Resources, and A’skorg Integrated Service Limited, with all contractors expected to be mobilised this month. The segmented approach aims to ensure timely delivery, improve supervision, and reduce construction bottlenecks.
READ ALSO:
- Mexico‑Based Nigerian fraudster Gets 8 Years for $1.3M U.S. Tax Fraud
- Ademola Lookman Scores Historic Goal as Atletico Madrid Draw 3–3 With Club Brugge
- Canada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
The announcement comes amid ongoing infrastructure interventions in Iwo town, including the construction of a 3.6-kilometre dual carriageway — the first of its kind in the local government. Engr. Moruf Ojebode, Director of Highways, confirmed that phase one of the dual carriageway, spanning from Odo-Ori Market to Oja-Oba near the post office, is already 50% complete, with drainage, medians, and pedestrian walkways under development. Internal roads connecting key districts, including Ansarudeen to Puti Road, Fesu Agbowo Road, and Army Junction to Jagun Ode Road, have also been completed.
Residents and community leaders have commended Governor Ademola Adeleke’s administration for prioritising infrastructure development, noting the projects’ impact on mobility, safety, and local commerce. Prof. Lai Olurode, Chairman of the Iwo Board of Trustees, described the upgrades as a “visible Adeleke revolution,” emphasizing that connecting township roads to the main highway will enhance usability and economic benefits. Similarly, Chief Mujidat Sarumi, Iyaloja of Iwo land, praised the projects for opening up the local economy and supporting trade.
The Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan road is a key trade artery in southwestern Nigeria. Once completed, it is expected to reduce travel time, ease congestion, improve road safety, and strengthen regional trade and investment opportunities. By splitting the highway project among multiple contractors, the government hopes to speed construction timelines while maintaining high standards of quality and supervision.
Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
metro
Mexico‑Based Nigerian fraudster Gets 8 Years for $1.3M U.S. Tax Fraud
Mexico‑Based Nigerian fraudster Gets 8 Years for $1.3M U.S. Tax Fraud
A U.S. federal court has sentenced Matthew A. Akande, a Nigerian national based in Mexico, to eight years (96 months) in prison for orchestrating a sophisticated fraud that defrauded the U.S. government of $1.3 million through fraudulent tax refund claims, the U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ) confirmed.
Akande, 37, was convicted for his central role in a conspiracy that used stolen taxpayer information to file more than 1,000 fraudulent tax returns, seeking over $8.1 million in unlawful refunds. Of those, the group successfully obtained $1,393,230 in illicit refunds before law enforcement dismantled the scheme.
U.S. District Court Judge Indira Talwani handed down the prison sentence at a federal courthouse in Boston, Massachusetts, where Akande was also ordered to pay full restitution of $1,393,230 to the U.S. government.
According to the DoJ, Akande and his co‑conspirators carried out the fraud over approximately five years by stealing taxpayers’ personally identifiable information (PII) through cyber intrusions and phishing attacks on tax preparation firms in Massachusetts.
READ ALSO:
- Ademola Lookman Scores Historic Goal as Atletico Madrid Draw 3–3 With Club Brugge
- Canada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
- South Korea Former President Park Geun-hye Jailed for Life Over Martial Law Attempt
The fraud used a type of malicious software known as Warzone Remote Access Trojan (RAT), which was embedded in seemingly legitimate emails sent to tax firms. The emails purported to be from prospective clients, tricking staff into downloading the malware, which then gave the conspirators remote access to systems and sensitive client data.
Once the attackers gained access, they used the stolen PII — including Social Security numbers, prior tax records, and other sensitive information — to file fraudulent federal tax returns, claiming large refunds. After the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issued the refunds, Akande’s network withdrew the stolen funds in cash across the United States. Portions of the money were then transferred overseas, including into accounts in Mexico, under Akande’s direction.
Akande was arrested in October 2024 at Heathrow Airport in the United Kingdom. After extradition proceedings, he was brought to the United States on March 5, 2025, to face federal charges.
In July 2022, a federal grand jury indicted Akande on multiple counts, including:
- Conspiracy to commit wire fraud, identity theft, and theft of government money
- Wire fraud
- Unauthorized access to protected computers in furtherance of fraud
- Theft of government funds
- Aggravated identity theft
These charges reflect the wide reach of the scheme, which combined cybercrime tactics with financial fraud to exploit federal tax systems.
Prosecutors highlighted that the case underscores growing concerns about transnational cybercrime, particularly schemes targeting government benefits and tax systems. Nigerian nationals — both inside Africa and abroad — have previously been linked by U.S. authorities to various phishing, business email compromise, and identity theft operations, though many Nigerians abroad also contribute legitimately to global tech and financial sectors.
The Akande case involved cooperation between U.S. investigators, the U.K. authorities, and Mexican law enforcement, illustrating the international nature of both cybercrime and law enforcement response.
Judge Talwani’s ruling reflects the seriousness with which U.S. courts are treating digital financial fraud, particularly when it targets public funds, undermines trust in tax systems, and exploits individuals’ personal data.
Mexico‑Based Nigerian fraudster Gets 8 Years for $1.3M U.S. Tax Fraud
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
metro2 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News1 day agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health1 day agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
-
metro2 days agoTroops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds, Phones, ISWAP Logistics in Borno Operations


