News
BREAKING : Gov Yahaya Bello escapes assassination attempt

BREAKING : Gov Yahaya Bello escapes assassination attempt
Kogi State governor, Yahaya Bello, on Sunday, reportedly escaped assassination attempt.
This was made known in a statement issued by Kingsley Fanwo – Kogi State Commissioner for Information and Communications.
The statement reads : “The Kogi State Government wishes to inform the general public that there was an assasination attempt on the Governor of the state, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, CON, a few kilometres away from Abuja, on his way to an official engagement from Lokoja.
The attack occurred at about 4pm on Sunday, October 22, 2023.
2. The attackers who were dressed in military uniforms waylaid the Governor’s convoy and started shooting sporadically at his vehicle and other vehicles in the convoy. It took the swift intervention of the security personnel attached to the Governor to foil the satanic plans of the unknown soldiers.
READ ALSO:
- Noise Pollution: Lagos seals Mosque, Church
- BREAKING: Boko Haram attacks Customs house, kills officer
- Chelsea throw away two-goal lead in frenetic Arsenal draw
3. The attacks were at three different points, the last barricade being around Kwali Federal Capital Territory at about 4.20pm.
4. The report of these strange attacks has been properly documented at security offices in the state and at the national level for prompt and thorough investigations to avert future occurrences.
5. We are not oblivious of the fact that certain elements are bent on painting Kogi unsafe ahead of the Governorship Poll slated for November 11, 2023. As an administration, we will spare nothing to ensure our citizens are not subjected to security threats by desperate politicians sponsoring violence and terrorism.
6. We call on the citizens to remain vigilant and report suspicious movements in the domain to relevant security agencies. It is the responsibility of the Government to ensure security and we want to assure you that the peace we have enjoyed as a state in the last eight years won’t be lost on the altar of violent politics. ”
BREAKING : Gov Yahaya Bello escapes assassination attempt
News
I didn’t collapse, says Wike, warns death rumour mongers

I didn’t collapse, says Wike, warns death rumour mongers
Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has debunked reports that he collapsed and was rushed to the hospital last week.
Wike described the reports of his rumoured collapse as the handiwork of “baseless” people trying to score cheap political points.
He spoke after inspecting four ongoing projects in the FCT, including the International Conference Centre.
Online posts circulating on X had surfaced alleging that the minister collapsed at an event on Friday in the FCT.
The rumour also claimed that Wike was immediately rushed to an undisclosed hospital, where he received treatment.
Reacting, Wike said, “There was no time I collapsed, there was no time anybody took me overseas. But you see me every day. The day Mr President broke iftar on his birthday, I was there.
“The next day, I led Abuja residents to pay Sallah homage. I see all those stories just died down. This is politics. We have thick skin. Those things don’t bother us. We are not distracted. We are focused on our jobs.
“So, I thank Nigerians for being worried, which should be, but people should not wish their fellow human beings such a thing to happen.
“We know that we will die one day. Nobody will remain in this world forever, but it is only God that says the day you will die, not any human being to say you will die today or you will die tomorrow.
“So, you have seen that I am even healthier than most of them who carried that rumour and I will write their condolence letters. I can assure you that I will write their condolence letters.”
News
World Bank approves Tinubu’s $632m loan request

World Bank approves Tinubu’s $632m loan request
The World Bank is poised to approve $632 million in new loans to Nigeria today (Monday), amid growing concerns over the country’s expanding debt profile.
The loans are intended to support important sectors such as nutrition enhancement and quality basic education.
According to data obtained from the World Bank’s website on Sunday, the two loans scheduled to be approved today are $80 million for the Accelerating Nutrition Results in Nigeria 2.0 initiative and $552 million for the HOPE for Quality Basic Education for All programme.
Both projects are now in the negotiating phase and are likely to gain final clearance later today.
These new loans are part of the World Bank’s overall strategy to support Nigeria’s development agenda, which focuses on healthcare, education, and community resilience.
The loans will support the government’s efforts to improve nutrition and education for Nigerian children.
Additionally, the World Bank approved a $500 million loan for Nigeria’s Community Action for Resilience and Economic Stimulus Programme on March 28, 2025, a significant step towards addressing the country’s economic challenges through expanded access.
The initiative, formally known as the NIGERIA: Community Action (for) Resilience and Economic Stimulus Programme, is intended to give critical support to households impacted by economic downturns while also strengthening community resilience.
The initiative focuses on vulnerable populations, providing assistance to households and small companies to help them cope with economic difficulties.
READ ALSO:
- Okada rider allegedly stabbed to death by wife over money
- Police rescue two persons abducted in Lagos
- Miyetti Allah accuses Benue community of poisoning 20 cows
The loan clearance is likely to considerably boost Nigeria’s efforts to revive the economy through grassroots backing, especially given current issues such as inflation and high living costs.
The stimulus plan will prioritise enhancing food security and developing economic possibilities for the populations most affected by recent economic changes.
This decision came after a delay in distributing funds for a previous loan aimed at poor and vulnerable Nigerians.
Further investigation by The PUNCH revealed that the World Bank disbursed around $315 million to Nigeria from the $800 million allocated for the National Social Safety-net Program Scale Up.
Nigeria is yet to receive further funding from the World Bank for this loan project, which was approved in December 2021. The delay in grant release is most likely due to fraud detected under the initiative.
In honour of the 2023 International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, President Bola Tinubu unveiled a social safety net programme that will distribute N25,000 to 15 million households over the course of three months.
The Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation was responsible for managing the $800 million World Bank loan initiative.
However, due to allegations of embezzlement, the federal government was forced to stop the cash transfer program for further investigation and reform.
Betta Edu, a former humanitarian minister, was previously suspended for misappropriating N585 million set aside for palliative care distribution.
READ ALSO:
- Wike’s aide slams Atiku, says it’s too late to buy integrity
- Reps Committee recovers N21.4bn from four oil companies
- West African juntas impose levy on imported goods ECOWAS nations
Furthermore, Sadiya Umar-Farouq, Edu’s predecessor, was under investigation by the EFCC. The former minister is being investigated for allegedly laundering N37.1 billion during her stint as minister.
The World Bank also imposed sanctions on people and businesses discovered to be engaging in fraud under the initiatives.
According to the World Bank’s official website, this will bring Nigeria’s total approved loans to $9.25 billion over three years, indicating a growing reliance on multilateral funding to support critical sectors of the economy such as infrastructure, healthcare, education, and financial resilience.
A review of Nigeria’s World Bank loan approvals since 2023, under President Bola Tinubu’s government, reveals a huge rise in funding commitments.
In 2023, the World Bank approved $2.7 billion in loans for renewable energy, women’s empowerment, education, and the power sector. In 2024, funding approvals totalled $4.32 billion for various projects.
This increase was largely due to Nigeria’s growing need for financial assistance to stabilise the economy amid fiscal pressures and rising public debt.
Under President Bola Tinubu’s administration, the World Bank granted around 11 different credit projects for Nigeria.
In less than two years, the federal government has acquired loans from the World Bank totalling $7.45 billion, raising concerns about the mounting debt burden. According to data from the Debt Management Office, the World Bank’s portion of Nigeria’s external debt is $17.32 billion as of the third quarter of 2024.
The International Development Association is owing the majority of this debt, which amounts to $16.84 billion, or 39.14 per cent of Nigeria’s total external debt.
The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, another World Bank subsidiary, is owing $485.08 million, or 1.13 per cent.
While the planned World Bank loans may give much-needed budgetary relief, concerns persist about the country’s mounting debt burden.
According to recent data from the Central Bank of Nigeria, the country has spent $5.47 billion servicing external debt in the last 14 months, underscoring the strain on its foreign reserves.
World Bank approves Tinubu’s $632m loan request
News
Investigation of wanted businesswoman Achimugu not linked with Atiku, Sanwo-Olu – EFCC

Investigation of wanted businesswoman Achimugu not linked with Atiku, Sanwo-Olu – EFCC
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has reacted to media reports linking its investigations of Ms. Aisha Achimugu with political undercurrents involving former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu
This is contained in a statement by the commission on Friday night.
The statement read, “We wish to state unequivocally that the investigations of Achimugu have no correlation of any kind with the two political actors. She is being investigated for alleged criminal conspiracy and money laundering and has since been declared Wanted by the Commission”.
The EFCC started investigating Achimugu in 2022. Although she approached the court to obtain an injunction restraining the Commission from arresting, investigating, inviting or detaining her for any alleged criminal act, the injunction was challenged and vacated on Wednesday, February 19, 2025 by a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja.
The court ruled that “…no court has the power to stop the investigative powers of the Police or EFCC or any agency established under our laws to investigate crimes when there is reasonable suspicion of commission of a crime or ample evidence of commission of an offence by a suspect.”
“The court further upheld the interim order of forfeiture of assets of Achimugu suspected to be proceeds of crime, dismissing her suit against it as lacking merit .
“The foregoing clearly establishes that the EFCC’s case against her has no immediate or remote nexus with any politician or any veiled or open reference to any political engagement or transaction.
“The EFCC is non-partisan and non-sectarian. We enjoin the public to continue to keep faith with the professionalism of the Commission without imputing any extraneous consideration to its works.”
-
metro3 days ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
metro2 days ago
Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport
-
International2 days ago
Trump slams Nigeria with high tariff in shocking trade crackdown
-
metro2 days ago
Updated: Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 for Eid
-
metro2 days ago
Edo Gov Okpebholo wins round one as tribunal upholds his election
-
metro3 days ago
Police hunt for last suspect in LASU graduate killing
-
metro2 days ago
South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail
-
metro14 hours ago
Fraud rocks FIRS, court orders final forfeiture of Abuja, Kano houses linked to official