Buhari, Atiku, govs, others preach love, unity at Christmas - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Buhari, Atiku, govs, others preach love, unity at Christmas

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari, state governors and top Nigerian personalities have sent Christmas greetings to Christians.

The leaders in their various messages urged Christians and Nigerians to imbibe the spirit of love, sharing, unity and peaceful co-existence as they celebrate the festival which commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ.

President Buhari expressed confidence that with the renewed commitment and empowerment of the nation’s committed security personnel, all the “issues which inflict pain and trauma on us will soon be history.”

The president who stated this in his Christmas message, urged Nigerians to utilise the opportunity of the festive period to encourage one another so that the “machinations of the wicked ones in their midst would find no place to thrive.”

President Buhari said despite the remarkable successes generally recorded on security, “We still have some challenges.”

He further said, “Christmas is a season when hope is rekindled. Hope, peace, joy, love are the recurring themes of this time. It is in the midst of hardship that the true test of a nation emerges. I urge Nigerians to invoke the indomitable spirit in us and see the present order of things as a phase that will also pass, just like other unsavory situations in the nation’s history. This government will not abandon the promises made to Nigerians for a better lease of life.”

Let’s sow better seeds of harmony – Atiku

Also, a former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, urged Nigerians to embrace peace and unity at this period and to love one another for the sake of progress and growth in the country as the world celebrates Christmas.

Atiku, in a Christmas message released by his media office in Abuja on Friday, reminded Nigerians that the revival of the country’s glory was everyone’s responsibility.

The Wazirin Adamawa urged citizens to be intentional in thinking good thoughts and sowing better seeds of harmony and unity in diversity which he said would make Nigeria greater today and in the future.

Lawan, Gbajabimila, others preach love, peace, unity

In the same vein, Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, Deputy Senate President, Ovie Omo-Agege, and Deputy Speaker, Idris Wase, joined in felicitating with Christians in Nigeria on the occasion of the 2022 Christmas.

Ahmad Lawan said beyond the great merriment, Christmas reminded mankind of the humble birth, simple life, teachings and sacrificial love of Jesus Christ.

Lawan, in a statement by his media aide, Ola Awoniyi, urged Nigerians to show love to others and continue to pray for peace and unity and engage only in things that would make Nigeria great.

The Speaker, House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, his deputy, Ahmed Idris Wase and the House Minorty Caucus have enjoined Christians and all other Nigerians to intensify prayers for peace and unity in the country.

Also, Deputy Senate President, Ovie Omo-Agege, called on Nigerians to reflect on the virtues of love, peace and tolerance as exemplified by Jesus Christ in order to build a new Nigeria.

Gbajabiamila in a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Lanre Lasisi, said Christmas period called for sober reflection, even as he enjoined Christians to pray for the country amidst challenges.

He said the character of Jesus Christ, who is the main reason for the celebrations, should reflect in the life of every Christian.

Christmas marked with pain, anguish in the last 6 years – PDP

But the leading opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), said it is “deeply worried” that in the last six years Nigerians had been forced to mark Christmas in “gloom, pain, anguish and utter despondency” following “excruciating economic hardship” and “worsened insecurity”.

The PDP National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, in a Christmas message on Friday, said this was the result of having an “incompetent and insensitive” administration in office.

He said, “The PDP is saddened that while people celebrate in other parts of the world, many Nigerian families cannot afford the basic items of celebration or even travel as they did in the past to meet and bond with their loved ones due to high costs, worsened insecurity and deplorable state of roads which are now death traps in our country under the APC administration.

“However, as a resilient people, the PDP urges Nigerians not to allow the suffering they face today to dampen or destroy their inner personalities as happy people and make them lose sight of the message of hope, salvation and brighter future which Christmas offers.

 

“We must, therefore, rekindle the light of celebration by showing love and care for one another, especially the less privileged, the sick, as well as victims of mindless violence and acts of terrorism that have ravaged various parts of our country, especially in the last six years under the watch of the APC government.”

 

 

FCT minister urges more prayers

 

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Musa Bello, has asked Nigerians to use the occasion of the Christmas celebrations to pray for Nigeria and its leaders at all levels for the peace, progress and stability of the country now and in the years to come.

 

In his Christmas message to the residents of the territory, the minister assured them of the continuous commitment of the FCT Administration to ensure the wellbeing and welfare of all.

 

 

 

Kwara, Kaduna, Ekiti, Bayelsa govs, others greet Christians

 

Kwara State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, in his message, congratulated the Christian community in the state on the Christmas celebration, praying God to make the festive period a joyful one for all.

 

In a statement issued in Ilorin on Friday by his Chief Press Secretary (CPS), Rafiu Ajakaye, the governor said the season brought back good memories of God’s faithfulness and love for all irrespective of whatever the situation might be.

 

Bayelsa State Governor, Senator Douye Diri, in his message, urged indigenes and residents of the state to embrace the spirit of love that Christmas exemplified in their dealings with one another, saying, unity, harmony and reconciliation were key factors for any peaceful society.

 

In his message, Kaduna State Governor, Nasir el-Rufai, called on Christians to keep hope alive as they celebrated Christmas in difficult times.

 

The governor also said every citizen had a duty of personal responsibility as part of the collective action that was essential to curbing the spread of COVID-19 as they went about the celebration.

 

Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, in his message, charged Christians to emulate Christ’s love and humility as they celebrate this year’s Christmas, stressing that the birth of Christ was a demonstration of God’s love for humanity.

 

Fayemi, in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Yinka Oyebode, described the lessons of Christmas as very instructive for daily lifestyle of love and peace.

 

On his part, Gombe State Governor, Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya, felicitated with the Christian community in the state as they joined other faithful all over the world to celebrate this year’s Christmas.

 

In a goodwill message issued by his spokesperson, Ismaila Uba Misilli, the governor urged them to use the period to pray for peace, security and prosperity of the state and the nation.

 

He enjoined the Christian faithful and the entire people of the state to re-dedicate themselves and remain steadfast in prayers against all the challenges bedevilling the state.

 

 

 

Kano: Police ban knockouts, call for peaceful celebration

 

Meanwhile, the Kano State Police Command has banned the sale and use of fireworks popularly known as knockouts, burning of tyres during and after the Christmas and New Year celebrations in the state.

The command’s spokesman, DSP Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, who disclosed this in a statement, said road users were also advised to continue abiding by all traffic rules and regulations, drive carefully, avoid dangerous driving, car racing, unsecured loading and operating unserviceable vehicles.

FRSC deploys 1,250 men in Edo

In Edo State, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) said it has deployed 1,250 officers across the state with a view to ensuring an accident-free Christmas celebration.

 

The Edo State FRSC Sector Commander, Henry Benamaisia, disclosed this yesterday while speaking with our reporter on the corps’ preparation for Christmas in the state.

He said the command had also deployed 25 vehicles and three toeing trucks for quick removal of obstructions on roads.

SSANU asks FG to act fast on increasing security threats

The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), in their Christmas message, called on the federal government to act swiftly and ensure growing security challenges confronting the entire country, particularly in the Northern part, were tackled headlong.

 

The university workers also cautioned Nigerians to take responsibility individually and resist the strong temptation of compliance-fatigue of the recommended protocols put in place by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 and beat the ravaging pandemic, especially the Omicron variant.

 

The association in a Christmas message issued by its President, Comrade Mohammed Ibrahim, while felicitating with Christians and all Nigerians, explained that national and state institutions were trying their best to comply with all the protocols.

-Daily Trust

Advertisement

News

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

Published

on

Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede
Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

The Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, has clarified that the council has never received financial support from any government, either within or outside Nigeria. Speaking in Lagos at the 31st Annual Pre-Ramadan Lecture of the University of Lagos Muslim Alumni (UMA), Oloyede stressed that the NSCIA operates independently and relies largely on modest private donations to sustain its activities.

Oloyede, who also serves as Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), explained that in his 15-year tenure as NSCIA Secretary-General, the council had not received “a kobo” from any government. He added that fewer than 20 individuals have donated amounts up to ₦500,000 since 2013, highlighting that the council functions without significant external funding. He decried misinformation and divisive narratives suggesting government involvement under the leadership of the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Saad Abubakar, noting that such speculation undermines unity within Nigeria’s Muslim community.

READ ALSO:

Speaking on the theme “Muslims: The Challenge of National Security,” Oloyede warned against viewing insecurity, terrorism, and banditry through a religious lens. He said extremists often cloak their violent acts in religious language, but such actions do not reflect Islam. “Islam cannot be determined by what extremists say or do. We have a duty to correct that narrative,” he said, urging Muslims to reject all forms of extremism while understanding that insurgency thrives on enabling political, social, and economic conditions.

Oloyede stressed that security is central to Sharia, emphasizing that a true Muslim is someone “from whose actions neighbours — regardless of their faith — are safe and secure.” He cautioned against reducing insecurity to regional or religious differences, noting that all parts of Nigeria face security challenges. He called on Muslims to embrace moral responsibility, civic accountability, and practical partnerships to improve national security.

Other speakers at the lecture also highlighted the societal dimensions of insecurity. Dr. Ridwan Jamiu, Chief Imam of Lekki Central Mosque, described insurgents as agents of evil and stressed the need for religious leaders to promote peace and guide followers toward positive community engagement. Lagos State Assembly Speaker Mudashiru Obasa identified poverty and economic inequality as key drivers of insecurity and urged the government and policymakers to focus on job creation, education, and inclusive development as long-term solutions.

The lecture, part of the annual pre-Ramadan engagements, comes at a time when Nigeria continues to grapple with complex security challenges, including insurgency in the Northeast, banditry in the Northwest and North-Central, and rising violent crime in the South. Experts emphasize that national cohesion, interfaith cooperation, and community-led security initiatives are vital to tackling these threats effectively.

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

Continue Reading

News

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening

Published

on

MOON CRESCENT

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening

The Supreme Court of Saudi Arabia has urged Muslims across the Kingdom to look for the Ramadan crescent moon on the evening of Tuesday, February 17, 2026, to determine the official start of Ramadan 1447 AH. The court emphasized that community participation in moon sighting is vital for confirming the beginning of the holy month.

In an official statement relayed by the Saudi Press Agency, the Supreme Court instructed anyone who spots the new moon crescent — either with the naked eye or using binoculars — to report their observation to the nearest court and ensure their testimony is recorded. Local centres have also been set up to assist observers in reaching judicial offices.

The Kingdom has established moon sighting committees across regions to coordinate observations and support public involvement. Authorities encouraged citizens to actively participate, noting that their contributions are essential to help Muslims across Saudi Arabia begin Ramadan in unity.

READ ALSO:

Tuesday corresponds to 29 Sha’ban 1447 AH in the Islamic lunar calendar. If the crescent moon is sighted, Ramadan 1447 AH will commence on Wednesday, February 18, 2026. If the moon is not visible, Sha’ban will be completed as 30 days, and Ramadan will begin on Thursday, February 19, 2026. This aligns with centuries-old Islamic tradition of lunar observation.

Muslims worldwide, including in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries, are preparing for Ramadan, a sacred month of fasting, prayer, reflection, and charity. Astronomical forecasts suggest visibility may vary across regions, making local observations and testimonies crucial. Similar calls for crescent moon sightings have also been issued by authorities in countries such as Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

The Supreme Court’s announcement underscores the importance of lunar observation in Islamic practice and encourages public engagement to ensure a synchronized start of Ramadan across the Kingdom.

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening

Continue Reading

News

Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe

Published

on

Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El‑Rufai
Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai

Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe

The Presidency has dismissed former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai’s recent claim that the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) procured thallium sulphate, describing it as a politically motivated attempt to stir tension and divert attention from corruption allegations linked to his tenure in Kaduna State.

Officials said the allegation comes shortly after the Kaduna State House of Assembly reportedly endorsed a petition to the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), urging investigations into alleged financial improprieties totaling N432 billion during El-Rufai’s administration. The anti-graft agencies have since invited him for questioning.

Reacting to El-Rufai’s inquiry to the NSA, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, said the former governor was spreading misinformation capable of generating fear and unrest, while attempting to portray himself as a victim. Ajayi stressed that no government procurement or importation of thallium sulphate had taken place through ONSA.

READ ALSO:

“Mallam El-Rufai certainly got a reply to his letter from the NSA’s office, and he should be honourable enough to release it just as he mischievously released his own letter,” Ajayi said in a statement shared on social media.

According to the Presidency, El-Rufai’s actions are designed to create political instability and shift public focus away from the corruption allegations he faces. The statement argued that he is attempting to “nationalise his personal challenges” with the Kaduna State Government, insisting the controversy is not about President Bola Tinubu or the NSA, but about his waning political influence after eight years in office.

The Presidency further claimed El-Rufai had lost support from key stakeholders in Kaduna, including political allies, and had fallen out with his successor, Uba Sani, whom he had previously endorsed. Government officials urged the former governor to abandon political theatrics and address the allegations through appropriate legal and institutional channels.

The controversy comes amid heightened attention to both the thallium sulphate claim and the ongoing N432 billion Kaduna corruption probe, with analysts observing potential political and legal implications for the former governor.

Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending