Buhari to receive defecting Orubebe to APC seven years after opposing President election – Newstrends
Connect with us

Politics

Buhari to receive defecting Orubebe to APC seven years after opposing President election

Published

on

Former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godsday Orubebe

Former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godsday Orubebe, has joined the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), seven years after attempting to scuttle the election of Muhammadu Buhari as Nigeria’s President.

Buhari is set to receive Orubebe into the ruling party in the next few days, according to a Leadership report.

He had in apparent loyalty to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and President Goodluck Jonathan on March 31, 2015 disrupted proceedings at the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) collation centre in Abuja.

He acted to forestall the admission of election results from the states favourable to the emergence of Buhari as president-elect. Orubebe, was appointed a substantive minister on April 6, 2010, when Jonathan constituted his new cabinet as the acting president.

As a polling agent to Jonathan at the collation centre, he accused then INEC Chairman, Prof. Attahiru Jega, of taking sides with the main opposition at that time, the APC. But he later apologised to the nation over his conduct, adding that he regretted the action.

However, in a fresh twist, Orubebe on Monday formally dumped the PDP as a prelude to his formal defection to the ruling party.

Reports showed that Orubebe submitted his resignation letter to the PDP headquarters in Abuja in the early hours of Monday.

It was learnt that Orubebe’s defection was perfected by the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege and Delta State chairman of APC, Engineer Omeni Sobotie.

READ ALSO:

Omo-Agege had last week reportedly told Buhari that he had successfully persuaded Orubebe, who was said to be angered by the emergence of a Nigerian of northern extraction, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, as the presidential candidate of the main opposition party, to join the ruling party.

Omo-Agege and Sobotie were said to have pressured Orubebe to join the APC.

Orubebe eventually carved in to the request. It was learnt that Buhari was excited by the development and expressed readiness to personally receive the former minister into the party.

Further investigation revealed that the national Chairman of APC , Senator Abdullahi Adamu, and Omo-Agege, were billed to usher Orubebe into the Presidential Villa to meet with Buhari within the next few days, as part of the process of his formal admittance into the party.

Orubebe allegedly opted for the APC because the party acted in line with his conviction that power should shift to the southern part of the country after 8-year reign of a northerner.

He had acted in line with the leaders of the Niger Delta, PANDEF, Middle-Belt and South East (Ohanaeze Ndigbo) who had also rejected the emergence of Atiku as the presidential candidate. The southern leaders, in tandem with Orubebe, maintained that power must shift to southern Nigeria.

Orubebe was said to have been convinced to join the APC because the ruling party picked its presidential standard bearer from the southern part of the country.

The former minister reportedly expressed readiness to spare no effort to work towards the victory of theAPC’s presidential candidate, Asiwaju Ahmed Tinubu.

Orubebe said the mood of the country favoured a southern candidate, adding that Tinubu was best fitted.

The minister in the letter addressed to the national Chairman of the PDP, Dr. Iyiorchia Ayu, dumping the opposition party on Monday lamented that it was obvious that the PDP was not ready to win the 2023 presidential election because of alleged wrong choice of candidate.

He stated in the letter, “I write to formally inform you of my resignation from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). This has been communicated to the Chairman of Burutu Ward 3, Burutu LGA, Delta State, effective 20th June, 2022. Consequently, I am by this letter intimating you of my total withdrawal from all activities at the ward, local, state and national levels of the PDP.

READ ALSO:

“I am highly honoured and privileged to have been part of a political party that successfully transformed a pariah nation to one that commanded respect in the comity of nations. When we lost the presidential election in the 2015 in bewildered circumstances to say the least, it was my belief that the party would use the opposition period to strategise with the aim of taking back power at the earliest opportunity.

“However, the present situation in the party does not inspire confidence that the party is ready to regain power in 2033. Against the mood of the nation, and in complete disregard to (sic) the provision of the party’s constitution, the party, threw the zoning of the Presidency open, which created a situation that led to the emergence of a northerner as the party’s presidential flag bearer, thus making the two topmost positions in the party, after your emergence as the national chairman, to be occupied by northerners, contrary to section 7.3 (c) of the party’s constitution.”

Orubebe praised the Rivers State governor, Mr Nyenson Wike, for raising the bar in favour of the southern part of the country by trying to wrest power to the advantage of the south.

He added, “I salute and commend the Governor of Rivers State, His Excellency, Nyesom Wike, for his efforts and gallantry at the primaries. Posterity will be kind to him when the history of the party is written. There is a lot to be said, but out of respect for the party, I leave some stories untold at this time.

“My belief in the sanctity of Nigeria is unshaken and I will continually work for the progress and development, even if it is through another route.”

Politics

Updated: You can only be admitted from wards, SDP tells El-Rufai, others

Published

on

Former Governor of Kaduna State, Malam Nasiru Ahmad El-Rufai

Updated: You can only be admitted from wards, SDP tells El-Rufai, others

Former Kaduna State Governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai and other political leaders planning to join the Social Democratic Party (SDP) have been told to follow due process.

The Forum of State Chairmen of the SDP said new members could only be admitted from their wards.

They rose from an inaugural meeting of the 36 states and Federal Capital Territory  (FCT) chairmen in Abuja yesterday to give the directive.

The forum said there would be no sacred or preferential treatment for  new joiners.

Last month, El-Rufai through his X handle  announced his membership of the SDP, a move the Kaduna State chapter of the party rejected.

The party stated that he is not a recognised member.

It’s  Assistant National Secretary (North West) , Idris Inuwa, at a news conference said El-Rufai’s entry into the party remained a rumour as he was yet to follow due process.

Welcoming new members  after its meeting, the Chairman of the forum and Lagos State Chairman,  Femi Olaniyi, said the forum resolved to welcome the influx of new members, including prominent politicians from across the country but gave conditions to be fulfilled.

Olaniyi said, “New members will be admitted and registered through the party’s internal structures, led by the  chairmen.”

“New members cannot admit or register themselves as members of the party,” he added.

READ ALSO:

On the ongoing moves by some opposition elements to join the party ahead of 2027, the SDP sub-national leaders warned that “democratically elected structures of the SDP at the state and national levels must not be truncated or dissolved to appease new joiners or at the whims of any individuals or interests. Elected officials should be allowed to serve out their terms.”

Admitting that the merger talks with the party may warrant some structural adjustments to accommodate new members, the state chairmen warned that fundamental issues such as changes to the party’s name, logo, insignia, slogan, or any drastic alterations to the party’s Constitution or Manifesto must not be undertaken.

According to them, such issues and changes should be thoroughly discussed by the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the party before taking any action.

The forum  passed vote of confidence in  the Shehu Musa Gabam-led National Working Committee  (NWC).

They also hailed  members nationwide for their outstanding efforts in building and positively repositioning the party.

Updated: You can only be admitted from wards, SDP tells El-Rufai, others

Continue Reading

Politics

One battle down, two to go, Natasha speaks on INEC rejection of her recall petition

Published

on

One battle down, two to go, Natasha speaks on INEC rejection of her recall petition

Lawmaker representing Kogi Central in the Senate, Natasha Akpoti Uduaghan, has reacted to the rejection of a petition to recall her by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The electoral body had said the petition for the recall of the senator did not meet the requirement of the Nigerian Constitution.

It said in a tweet on its official handle, on Thursday, “The petition for the recall of the Senator representing the Kogi Central Senatorial District has not met the requirement of Section 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended).”

INEC said the number of constituents who signed the petition against the suspended lawmaker fell short of 50% of registered voters in the constituency as required by the constitution.

The development comes after the suspended lawmaker accused the electoral body of bias in the attempt to recall from the Senate.

Reacting through her official Facebook page, Natasha wrote, “Oh God it’s victory for the people. One battle down, two more to go.

“Deep gratitude to my beloved husband, awesome support team, magnificent people of Kogi Central and great people of Nigeria at large.

“INEC Nigeria, you did well. Senator Natasha H Akpoti Uduaghan Proudly Kogi Central.”

Continue Reading

Politics

2027 election: Shehu Sani declares bid for Kaduna central senatorial seat

Published

on

Former Kaduna Central Senator, Shehu Sani

2027 election: Shehu Sani declares bid for Kaduna central senatorial seat

Former Kaduna Central Senator, Shehu Sani, has officially announced his intention to contest for re-election in the upcoming 2027 general elections.

Sani made the declaration on Sunday while delivering his Eid-el-Fitr message at his residence in Kaduna. The former senator, known for his vocal stance on national issues, expressed his commitment to representing the people of Kaduna Central once again and addressing key challenges facing the region.

“Any politician contesting an election depends on the political equation that determines the position to vie for. If the conditions are right and the equations are favorable, I will offer myself to contest specifically for the Kaduna Central senatorial district,” he stated.

He further emphasised that his ambition remains secondary to ensuring the re-election of Governor Uba Sani for a second term.

“For now, our priority is to see that the incumbent governor, Uba Sani, is re-elected. We will work with all our might and strength to achieve this. We know there will be challenges and opposition, but we are well prepared for all forces,” he added.

READ ALSO:

Sani also used the occasion to urge Muslims to pray for Nigeria’s peace and unity during the Eid-el-Fitr celebrations. Additionally, he condemned the recent killing of hunters in Edo State, calling on security agencies to apprehend the perpetrators.

“If citizens cannot move freely across the country, then we are not truly a nation. If individuals take the law into their hands for any reason, it means there is no government or authority,” he lamented.

He called on all Nigerians who desire a better country to work towards peace and unity for the preservation of democracy, despite the challenges being experienced.

Sani also urged the government to uphold fundamental human rights, particularly the right to life, as a crucial step towards national stability and development.

2027 election: Shehu Sani declares bid for Kaduna central senatorial seat

Continue Reading

Trending