Couple jailed 44 years for starving, burying three-year-old son in garden - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Couple jailed 44 years for starving, burying three-year-old son in garden

Published

on

Couple jailed 44 years for starving, burying three-year-old son in garden

A couple convicted of causing the de@th of their three-year-old son after his severely malnourished body was found buried in their back garden have been jailed for 44 years in total.

Tai, 42, and Naiyahmi Yasharahyalah, 43, were on Thursday, Dec. 12, handed lengthy jail terms for what prosecutors described as a case of “breathtaking” neglect.

Their son Abiyah Yasharahyalah d!ed in early 2020 from a respiratory illness. He had been restricted to an extreme vegan diet and suffered from a list of other problems including rickets, anaemia and stunted growth.

Jurors at Coventry Crown Court heard his parents shunned mainstream society and lived “off grid,” creating their own bespoke belief system drawing on various elements from New Age mysticism and West African religion.

London-born Tai, a medical genetics graduate who also used the first name Tai-Zamarai, and former shop worker Naiyahmi tried to treat their son’s final illness with garlic and ginger instead of contacting the NHS.

The pair, whose diet largely consisted of nuts, raisins and soya milk, were both “extremely thin” when they were arrested on December 9, 2022, leading to the discovery of their son’s body five days later.

They denied the charges against them, telling the court they did not act wilfully and believed Abiyah would recover from a flu-like condition.

Jurors unanimously convicted them after hearing how they kept the body of Abiyah in their bed for eight days, before “embalming” and burying the toddler in an 80cm-deep grave at the back of their then-home in Clarence Road, Handsworth.

Tai was jailed for 24 and a half years, while Naiyahmi was given a 19 and a half year sentence.

READ ALSO:

The judge Mr Justice Wall told them: “Abiyah d!ed as a result of your wilful neglect of him. He was severely stunted in his growth – at almost four years of age he was buried in the clothes of an 18-month-old.

“I accept that there was no deliberate infliction of physical injury by either of you.”

But the judge added: “It is difficult to imagine a worse case of neglect than that which the court has encountered in this case.”

Although the couple had enjoyed the benefits of the NHS during the first 30 years of their own lives, the judge said, they had “denied this advantage to Abiyah for misplaced ideological reasons”.

“I am sure each of you played a part in starving him and failing to get medical care for him when the need for it was obvious to you.”

Former fitness instructor Tai told police in interview that he had carried out an “eight-day ritual’ hoping that Abiyah would “come back”.

But he added he eventually decided to conduct a burial in accordance with his culture on what he regarded as sacred ground.

The pair said they were living in a “kingdom” set up by Tai, which involved an unsupplemented vegan diet and adherence to a ‘slick law” legal framework he had invented.

Jurors heard they married in 2015 and changed their names from Donald Nnah and Donna Graham after forming what they viewed as their own religion.

A post-mortem examination of Abiyah’s “skeletal” remains and other tests failed to identify how he d!ed, but suggested he was also suffering from severe dental decay and six fractures to his right arm, legs and ribs, possibly caused by a fall about six weeks before his de@th.

The couple were eventually arrested in December 2022 while living in a caravan in Glastonbury, Somerset, having previously spent time living in a shipping container.

Police visited the property three times: in February 2018 when Abiyah was alive; again in September 2021 after his de@th; and then in March 2022 to assist in the couple’s removal for non-payment of rent.

Opening the case for the Crown at the start of the trial, prosecutor Jonas Hankin KC claimed the couple had jointly neglected Abiyah by failing to provide him with enough food or any medical help.

During his closing speech to jurors, Mr Hankin alleged it would have been obvious to both defendants that Abiyah, whose teeth would have been wobbly, was in considerable pain from abscesses and other ailments.

Referring to a comment made by Abiyah’s mother that “nature has a way of doing things,” Mr Hankin told the court: “That is their attitude, ‘we’re right and nature will decide’. It is breathtaking arrogance and cruelty.”

Malnutrition of the severity suffered by Abiyah was simply not seen in the UK, the barrister said, with the defendants having “for reasons best known to themselves” driven themselves and their son into conditions more commonly seen in the developing world.

 

Couple jailed 44 years for starving, burying three-year-old son in garden

Loading

metro

Former MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute

Published

on

Former MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh

Former MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute 

Former pastor of the Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, MFM, Femi Jimoh, has reportedly died, years after his release from a prolonged detention that became the centre of a bitter legal dispute involving the church.

Jimoh’s death was reported on Thursday, August 20, 2026, by UK-based Nigerian blogger Maureen Badejo and subsequently reported by Sahara Reporters and other media platforms. Reports said the former pastor had battled serious health challenges following his years in detention and an alleged gunshot injury to his leg. However, the specific cause of his death has not been independently established.

His death has brought renewed attention to the controversial case in which he and two other former MFM pastors were accused of conspiring to rob the church.

Jimoh was arrested in January 2008 and subsequently prosecuted alongside Henry Aiyewero and Caleb Oloruntele over allegations connected with a planned robbery of MFM.

Court records later showed that Jimoh remained in custody for about eight years before he was discharged and acquitted by a Lagos State High Court. The National Industrial Court, in a subsequent judgment concerning his employment dispute with MFM, noted that he had been arrested on January 25, 2008, prosecuted for robbery and conspiracy to rob the church, and remained incarcerated until his acquittal and discharge.

Following his release, Jimoh became increasingly vocal about his experience in detention. His account gained widespread attention after a 2024 interview with Yoruba Gidi TV, during which he alleged that his ordeal had begun after he encountered Michael Gbadamosi, who was then the Chief Security Officer to MFM founder, Pastor Daniel Olukoya, at the residence of a native doctor.

Jimoh alleged that he was subsequently arrested and detained without knowing the offence for which he was being held.

He further claimed that he was initially kept in a cell for about 30 days without access to a lawyer and was later subjected to physical abuse.

According to his account, he was handcuffed and transported in the boot of a vehicle before being taken to Olukoya’s residence. He alleged that he pleaded with the MFM founder not to allow him to be returned to police custody because he did not understand why he was being detained.

Jimoh also made the serious allegation that a Divisional Police Officer shot him in the leg during his detention.

He claimed that he was subsequently taken to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, where he and others allegedly spent several weeks before being charged with offences including conspiracy, armed robbery and felony. These allegations were made by Jimoh and have not been independently established as facts.

The Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries strongly rejected Jimoh’s allegations.

In a statement issued in 2024, the church denied that it or its General Overseer, Pastor Daniel Olukoya, had imprisoned Jimoh or Caleb Oloruntele for nine years.

MFM’s Chief Legal Adviser, Davidson Adejuwon, described the allegations as false and maintained that the church did not frame the former pastors or cause them to remain in custody. The church also disputed claims that Olukoya had used his influence to secure their prolonged detention.

MFM maintained that the criminal case was a matter between the accused persons and the relevant law-enforcement and prosecuting authorities, rather than an action in which the church had unlawfully detained them.

The controversy did not end with Jimoh’s release.

He subsequently instituted proceedings concerning his employment relationship with MFM, including claims relating to his salary and employment status during the period he was incarcerated.

In its judgment, the National Industrial Court examined the circumstances surrounding his arrest and prolonged incarceration.

The court record stated that MFM had argued that Jimoh had effectively abandoned his employment because of his prolonged absence. The church also maintained that his arrest and prosecution were undertaken by the police and the Lagos State authorities and were not caused by the church in the manner alleged by Jimoh.

The court, however, found that Jimoh could not reasonably be regarded as having voluntarily absconded from work because he was in custody following his arrest and prosecution. The judgment noted that he had remained incarcerated for about eight years until his acquittal and discharge.

The legal battle therefore became a separate chapter in the long-running controversy surrounding his relationship with the church.

The criminal case eventually ended in Jimoh’s favour when the Lagos State High Court discharged and acquitted him and the other defendants.

The acquittal became a central part of Jimoh’s subsequent public account of his experience, particularly his argument that he had spent years in custody over allegations he maintained were unfounded.

However, the acquittal did not resolve all the disagreements between Jimoh and MFM, with the former pastor continuing to make allegations against the church and its leadership, while MFM consistently rejected his claims.

Jimoh’s reported death has now revived public interest in the circumstances surrounding his arrest, years-long detention and subsequent legal battles.

His supporters and commentators have questioned why he spent so many years in custody before the conclusion of his trial, while others have pointed to the need to distinguish between allegations made by the late pastor and matters established by the courts.

For now, reports surrounding his death remain subject to further confirmation, particularly regarding the circumstances and medical cause of his passing.

The controversy surrounding his detention also remains a complex matter involving allegations by Jimoh, denials by MFM and documented court proceedings.

As news of his death spread on Thursday, tributes and reactions began emerging online, with many Nigerians recalling the former pastor’s emotional accounts of his years in custody and the prolonged dispute that followed his release.

Jimoh’s death marks the end of the life of a former MFM minister whose name became closely associated with one of the most controversial detention and church-related legal disputes to attract significant public attention in Nigeria in recent years.

For the family, former colleagues and supporters, however, the immediate focus is likely to be on mourning his passing, while questions surrounding his long detention and the events that followed continue to generate public debate.

 

Former MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

40 Feared Dead as Overloaded Boat Carrying Farmers and Children Capsizes in Sokoto

Published

on

40 Feared Dead as Overloaded Boat Carrying Farmers and Children Capsizes in Sokoto

40 Feared Dead as Overloaded Boat Carrying Farmers and Children Capsizes in Sokoto

At least 40 people are feared dead after an overloaded wooden canoe carrying farmers and farm labourers capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, with many of the victims reportedly children aged between 10 and 15 years who had been brought along to assist with the rice harvest. The tragic incident occurred on Thursday morning, August 20, 2026, while the passengers were crossing a stream to access their rice farms on the opposite bank. An eyewitness reported that more than 70 people were aboard the vessel when it capsized shortly after departure, giving those on board little time to react.

A significant number of those on board were children aged between 10 and 15 years who had been brought along to assist with the rice harvest. The victims included both farm owners and hired labourers who had gathered to collect rice from farms across the waterway. Local journalist Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, who was present at the scene, confirmed the devastating toll: “So far, we have recovered about 40 bodies, while six people, including the village head, were rescued.” The village head of the community was among those on board but survived the accident.

READ ALSO:

Abdulkadir Yusuf, an area manager of the National Inland Waterways Authority, confirmed to Reuters that around 40 corpses of children had been recovered. “I can confirm that so far around 40 corpses of children have been recovered,” he said in a statement. Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching the waterway for those still missing and recovering bodies. “The canoe capsized shortly after take-off. Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching for those still missing and recovering bodies,” Kiliya added. Local resident Nasiru Gorau confirmed that “our local divers recovered the bodies and the search is still ongoing.” The final death toll has not yet been confirmed as search efforts continue. The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and Sokoto State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) have mobilised response teams to the scene to assess the situation and coordinate rescue efforts.

40 Feared Dead as Overloaded Boat Carrying Farmers and Children Capsizes in Sokoto

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

EFCC arraigns two over alleged unlawful supply of FCMB access credentials

Published

on

EFCC arraigns two over alleged unlawful supply of FCMB access credentials

EFCC arraigns two over alleged unlawful supply of FCMB access credentials

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arraigned two men before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, over the alleged unlawful supply of bank access credentials capable of providing access to the database of First City Monument Bank (FCMB).

The defendants, Gideon Bakpa Aghogho and Oscar Ebere Chukwuebuka, were arraigned on Wednesday by the Lagos Zonal Directorate 1 of the EFCC before Justice F.N. Ogazi on an eight-count charge bordering on the alleged unlawful disclosure and supply of access credentials to the bank’s computer system.

A third suspect, identified simply as Scott, was also named in the charges but remains at large.

The offences were brought under Sections 27 and 28(1)(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc.) Act, 2015, as amended in 2024, according to the prosecution.

One of the counts alleged that the defendants, between July 24 and July 26, 2026, conspired to supply Aghogho’s access code to the FCMB system through a local administrative credential.

The EFCC alleged that the credential was capable of granting access to the bank’s Virtual Centre Platform and was supplied with the intention of using the access to commit an offence.

In another count, the commission alleged that Aghogho, sometime between April and May 2025, knowingly and without lawful authority disclosed sensitive credentials connected to FCMB’s systems.

READ ALSO:

According to the prosecution, the information allegedly included the bank’s server IP and domain credentials, which could be used to gain access to the bank’s database.

The EFCC further alleged that the credentials were supplied in exchange for $15,000.

When the charges were read to the defendants, Aghogho pleaded not guilty, while Chukwuebuka pleaded guilty.

Following Aghogho’s plea, EFCC prosecution counsel Bilkisu Buhari asked the court to fix a date for trial and sought an order for his remand in a correctional facility.

In relation to Chukwuebuka, who entered a guilty plea, the prosecution requested an opportunity to review the facts of the case before proceeding with the matter.

Justice Ogazi subsequently adjourned the case until August 27, 2026, for review of facts and other proceedings.

The judge also ordered that both defendants be remanded in a correctional centre pending the next hearing.

The case centres on allegations involving the unauthorised disclosure and supply of privileged banking-system credentials, raising wider concerns about the security of financial institutions’ digital infrastructure.

Administrative credentials can provide elevated access to computer systems and, if improperly disclosed or used, may expose sensitive databases and other protected resources to unauthorised persons. The alleged conduct in this case is therefore being prosecuted under Nigeria’s cybercrime legislation.

The EFCC’s allegations, however, have not been established as facts by the court. The prosecution will be required to prove its case through evidence, while the defendants remain entitled to the presumption of innocence until otherwise determined by the court.

The case will return before Justice Ogazi on August 27 for further proceedings.

EFCC arraigns two over alleged unlawful supply of FCMB access credentials

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending