A court in Spain has ordered that Brazil football player Dani Alves be jailed on remand without bail following an alleged sexual assault of a woman in a Barcelona nightclub.
According to the regional court system on Friday, the 39-year-old who has denied any wrongdoing was taken to the Brians 1 jail outside Barcelona.
Earlier on Friday, Alves appeared before a Barcelona judge after local police detained and questioned him.
The public prosecutor had requested he be jailed without bail pending trial.
Alves’ representatives did not respond to a request for comment.
His Mexican club Pumas UNAM announced they had terminated his contract with immediate effect.
“The club reiterates its commitment to not tolerate acts by any member, whoever they may be, that go against the club’s spirit and its values,” Pumas sporting president Leopoldo Silva said.
The world’s most decorated footballer now with 1xBet: Dani Alves becomes an ambassador for the trusted bookmaker
Barcelona defender Alves picks Mbappe ahead of Haaland
“We cannot allow the conduct of one person to damage our work philosophy, which has been an example throughout history.”
The alleged victim had filed a complaint earlier this month and the case remains open over a crime of sexual assault, Catalonia’s court system said in a statement.
Alves had said earlier this month that he was at the club with other people but denied any such behaviour.
“I was dancing and having a good time without invading anyone’s space,” he said. “I don’t know who this lady is… How could I do that to a woman? No.”
Alves played for FC Barcelona from 2008 to 2016 and briefly returned to the LaLiga team for the 2021/2022 season.
He has played for the Brazil national team since 2006, making 126 appearances and scoring eight goals.
Super Eagles striker Paul Onuachu joins EPL club Southampton
Super Eagles striker, Paul Onuachu, has joined an English Premier League club Southampton on a permanent deal.
Onuachu who left Genk signed a three-and-a-half year contract with the Premier League side.
The South Coast club beat Bundesliga side, Eintracht Frankfurt to the forward.
Onuachu is coming to the St Mary’s Stadium with huge reputation having scored 17 goals in 22 appearances for Genk this season.
In total, he departs with 85 goals in 134 games for the club, which he joined in 2019 from Danish side FC Midtjylland.
Southampton manager Nathan Jones said, “Paul is a significant signing for us and completes what has been an extremely positive month in terms of recruitment.
“He’s a handful to play against, has got a tremendous record throughout his career and he’s also someone who brings great experience with him, so he’ll be a really positive addition to the squad.”
Everton confirm former Burnley boss Dyche as new manager
Everton have confirmed the appointment of former Burnley boss Sean Dyche as their new manager on a two-and-a-half-year contract.
The report came on Monday that Dyche had been chosen by the Everton board as Frank Lampard’s successor, after also holding talks with former Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa.
Dyche, according to a Sky Sports report, is the seventh permanent manager hired by Toffees owner Farhad Moshiri since he took over the club nearly seven years ago.
Lampard’s last game in charge was a 2-0 defeat at fellow strugglers West Ham on January 21, which kept them second-bottom on 15 points after 20 games – two points below the safety zone.
The Merseyside club had been floundering under the former England international, having last won a league game in October when they beat Crystal Palace 3-0 at home.
Lampard was appointed by Everton in January 2022 after he managed Chelsea from 2019/2021 and Derby County in the second tier in 2018/19, but Dyche will now be tasked with arresting the slide towards the Championship.
Dyche told the club’s official website, “It’s an honour to become Everton manager. My staff and I are ready and eager to help get this great club back on track.
“I know about Everton’s passionate fanbase and how precious this club is to them. We’re ready to work and ready to give them what they want. That starts with sweat on the shirt, effort and getting back to some of the basic principles of what Everton Football Club has stood for for a long time.”
Mourinho Compares Victor Osimhen to one of the African legend, Didier Drogba
AS Roma manager, Jose Mourinho, has compared Super Eagles of Nigeria and Napoli of Italy hitman, Victor Osimhen, to Chelsea and Ivory Coast legend, Didier Drogba.
NEWSBREAK reports that the Nigerian striker netted a world-class goal as his side, Napoli, marched towards the Serie A title on Sunday. Osimhen’s classic goal came against Mourinho’s Roma at the Diego Maradona stadium where Napoli won 2-1.
- DSS intercepts syndicates selling new currency notes
- Abuja-Kaduna trains resumes to services Tuesday, says NRC
- Peshawar: 32 dead, 150 wounded in large explosion at Pakistan mosque
Speaking after the match, Mourinho, a former Chelsea, Manchester United and Real Madrid manager, said: “He (Osimhen) is of the same level as Drogba, but Didier didn’t dive.
US fighter jets shoots down suspected Chinese spy balloon over Atlantic
Osinbajo picks holes in naira redesign policy, says scarcity of notes ‘is disturbing’
Tinubu mocks opponents as Buhari leads campaign in Lafia
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
Osun state gov, Ademola Adeleke, thrills guests as he dances to Buga amid removal saga (Video)
Cristiano Ronaldo’s partner Georgina Rodriguez buys him a Rolls Royce for Christmas (video)
Drama as angry bride refuses to marry groom during church wedding [Video]
metro6 days ago
Muslim leaders protest alleged rape of woman in Niqob (purdah) inside mosque in Ibadan
Business5 days ago
Chief of Defence Staff threatens action as petrol prices hit N400/litre
Politics6 days ago
Tinubu in A’Ibom, says he rescued Atiku from Obasanjo
Auto5 days ago
$1bn investment recorded in auto industry – Minister
metro4 days ago
MSSN calls for prosecution of teachers, others harassing hijab-wearing students
Business3 days ago
I have sacks of new naira notes, says bandit, displays some in viral video
metro2 days ago
Corruption allegation: Keyamo’s case against Atiku suffers setback, court shifts hearing to March 4
International6 days ago
Italy-based Nigerian sentenced to life imprisonment for murder of Italian lady