Court okays perjury suit against Tinubu, APC presidential candidate – Newstrends
Connect with us

Politics

Court okays perjury suit against Tinubu, APC presidential candidate

Published

on

The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has admitted a fresh suit seeking to compel the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba, to initiate a perjury case against the presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

The suit, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1058/2022, was brought before the court by the Incorporated Trustees of Centre for Reform and Public Advocacy, a Civil Society Organization, CSO.

The applicant is praying the court for, “an order of mandamus, compelling the respondents to comply with Sections 31 and 32 of the Police Act and Section 3 of the Criminal Justice Act, 2015 in respect of alleged crime laid out in complaint of the applicant encapsulated in the letter of June 16, 2022.

They are demanding the prosecution of Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu under Sections 191,192 and 463 of the Criminal Code Act, Law of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 Consequent upon the Findings of the Lagos State House of Assembly Ad-hoc Committee, 1999.

The group, through its lawyer, Mr Mike Nwankwo, told the court that the suit was necessitated by the IGP’s refusal to take action on its petition against APC’s presidential candidate over an offence it said was established by report of an investigation that was conducted by the Lagos State House of Assembly in 1999.

READ ALSO:

The CSO told the court that it earlier forwarded a petition to police authorities, demanding further action on the said investigative report.

It maintained that by virtue of Sections 214 and 215, of the 1999 Constitution, as amended, as well as Section 4 of the Nigerian Police Act, 2020, the police have the statutory responsibility to “prevent, detect and investigate criminal allegations whether brought to their notice by individuals, person or persons, corporate bodies, institutions etc.”

It further claimed that by Section 31 of the Nigeria Police Act, the respondents are duty bound to investigate alleged crime brought to them and report their findings to the Attorney General of the Federation or of a state, as the case may be, for legal advice.

It contended that it has the legal competence to invoke the jurisdiction of the court to compel the respondents to discharge their legal, constitutional and public duties in line with the law.

The applicant decried that its two letters dated June 16 and 27, which it forwarded to the respondents, wherein it demanded the prosecution of the APC candidate over alleged perjury, had been ignored.

The applicant told the court that following a letter by late legal luminary, Chief Gani Fawehinmi, in 1999, the Lagos State House of Assembly had set up an ad hoc committee to investigate the alleged act of perjury wherein the committee had in its report on page 13 stated that, “However, on question of providing false information on oath (sections 191 and 197) we are satisfied that the statement of the governor’s educational qualification which he has admitted were incorrect were not intended.”

The applicant in its petition to the IGP claimed that the APC’s presidential candidate lied on oath in the form CF 001 submitted to INEC in aid of his qualification for the governorship election in Lagos State in 1999.

The applicant further claimed that Tinubu “forged all the educational certificates he listed in his INEC Form CF 001 which he admitted he did not possess in annexure C.

“For the purpose of clarity, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu in the said INEC Form deposed on oath that he attended Government College, Ibadan and University of Chicago, USA, when in actual fact he did not.

“On the strength of the above, we demand that you initiate the criminal proceedings against Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu consequent upon the express findings of the Lagos State House of Assembly as captured above.”

No date has yet been fixed for hearing of the suit.

Politics

Updated: You can only be admitted from wards, SDP tells El-Rufai, others

Published

on

Former Governor of Kaduna State, Malam Nasiru Ahmad El-Rufai

Updated: You can only be admitted from wards, SDP tells El-Rufai, others

Former Kaduna State Governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai and other political leaders planning to join the Social Democratic Party (SDP) have been told to follow due process.

The Forum of State Chairmen of the SDP said new members could only be admitted from their wards.

They rose from an inaugural meeting of the 36 states and Federal Capital Territory  (FCT) chairmen in Abuja yesterday to give the directive.

The forum said there would be no sacred or preferential treatment for  new joiners.

Last month, El-Rufai through his X handle  announced his membership of the SDP, a move the Kaduna State chapter of the party rejected.

The party stated that he is not a recognised member.

It’s  Assistant National Secretary (North West) , Idris Inuwa, at a news conference said El-Rufai’s entry into the party remained a rumour as he was yet to follow due process.

Welcoming new members  after its meeting, the Chairman of the forum and Lagos State Chairman,  Femi Olaniyi, said the forum resolved to welcome the influx of new members, including prominent politicians from across the country but gave conditions to be fulfilled.

Olaniyi said, “New members will be admitted and registered through the party’s internal structures, led by the  chairmen.”

“New members cannot admit or register themselves as members of the party,” he added.

READ ALSO:

On the ongoing moves by some opposition elements to join the party ahead of 2027, the SDP sub-national leaders warned that “democratically elected structures of the SDP at the state and national levels must not be truncated or dissolved to appease new joiners or at the whims of any individuals or interests. Elected officials should be allowed to serve out their terms.”

Admitting that the merger talks with the party may warrant some structural adjustments to accommodate new members, the state chairmen warned that fundamental issues such as changes to the party’s name, logo, insignia, slogan, or any drastic alterations to the party’s Constitution or Manifesto must not be undertaken.

According to them, such issues and changes should be thoroughly discussed by the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the party before taking any action.

The forum  passed vote of confidence in  the Shehu Musa Gabam-led National Working Committee  (NWC).

They also hailed  members nationwide for their outstanding efforts in building and positively repositioning the party.

Updated: You can only be admitted from wards, SDP tells El-Rufai, others

Continue Reading

Politics

One battle down, two to go, Natasha speaks on INEC rejection of her recall petition

Published

on

One battle down, two to go, Natasha speaks on INEC rejection of her recall petition

Lawmaker representing Kogi Central in the Senate, Natasha Akpoti Uduaghan, has reacted to the rejection of a petition to recall her by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The electoral body had said the petition for the recall of the senator did not meet the requirement of the Nigerian Constitution.

It said in a tweet on its official handle, on Thursday, “The petition for the recall of the Senator representing the Kogi Central Senatorial District has not met the requirement of Section 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended).”

INEC said the number of constituents who signed the petition against the suspended lawmaker fell short of 50% of registered voters in the constituency as required by the constitution.

The development comes after the suspended lawmaker accused the electoral body of bias in the attempt to recall from the Senate.

Reacting through her official Facebook page, Natasha wrote, “Oh God it’s victory for the people. One battle down, two more to go.

“Deep gratitude to my beloved husband, awesome support team, magnificent people of Kogi Central and great people of Nigeria at large.

“INEC Nigeria, you did well. Senator Natasha H Akpoti Uduaghan Proudly Kogi Central.”

Continue Reading

Politics

2027 election: Shehu Sani declares bid for Kaduna central senatorial seat

Published

on

Former Kaduna Central Senator, Shehu Sani

2027 election: Shehu Sani declares bid for Kaduna central senatorial seat

Former Kaduna Central Senator, Shehu Sani, has officially announced his intention to contest for re-election in the upcoming 2027 general elections.

Sani made the declaration on Sunday while delivering his Eid-el-Fitr message at his residence in Kaduna. The former senator, known for his vocal stance on national issues, expressed his commitment to representing the people of Kaduna Central once again and addressing key challenges facing the region.

“Any politician contesting an election depends on the political equation that determines the position to vie for. If the conditions are right and the equations are favorable, I will offer myself to contest specifically for the Kaduna Central senatorial district,” he stated.

He further emphasised that his ambition remains secondary to ensuring the re-election of Governor Uba Sani for a second term.

“For now, our priority is to see that the incumbent governor, Uba Sani, is re-elected. We will work with all our might and strength to achieve this. We know there will be challenges and opposition, but we are well prepared for all forces,” he added.

READ ALSO:

Sani also used the occasion to urge Muslims to pray for Nigeria’s peace and unity during the Eid-el-Fitr celebrations. Additionally, he condemned the recent killing of hunters in Edo State, calling on security agencies to apprehend the perpetrators.

“If citizens cannot move freely across the country, then we are not truly a nation. If individuals take the law into their hands for any reason, it means there is no government or authority,” he lamented.

He called on all Nigerians who desire a better country to work towards peace and unity for the preservation of democracy, despite the challenges being experienced.

Sani also urged the government to uphold fundamental human rights, particularly the right to life, as a crucial step towards national stability and development.

2027 election: Shehu Sani declares bid for Kaduna central senatorial seat

Continue Reading

Trending