Connect with us

Business

FG earns N1.054tn from communication industry in two years

Published

on

The Federal Government has generated a total of N1.05 trillion in the last two years through its Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy, its departments and agencies.

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami, disclosed this on Thursday during the 12th batch virtual inauguration of eight projects in Abuja.

Pantami said the ministry and its agencies got a huge chunk of its revenues from the sale spectrum allocation.

He said, “The ministry and its parastatals have generated over N1 trillion for the Federal Government in less than two years, this translates to an average of about N44 billion every month, or over N1.4 billion every day.For example, about N360 billion of this revenue was largely from spectrum allocated by the National Frequency Management Council (NFMC) to the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) and National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) for commercial purposes.

“Another, over N600 billion was paid by ICT Companies to the account of the Federal Government through the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS).”

According to him, over N94 billion was generated for the government, and approved by the National Assembly in line with relevant laws, as part of the 2020 appropriation for personnel, capital projects, capacity building, interventions, etc.

He commended the Chief Executive Officers of the parastatal agencies, stakeholders, partners and all who contributed one way or the other to the success story of the ministry within the last two years.

“The IT Projects Clearance Programme also saved over N5billion for the Federal Government.”

“I wish to thank all our esteemed partners, stakeholders and members of the Communications and Digital Economy family for supporting us in the last two years.

“The CEOs of all the parastatals under the Ministry have been committed to their responsibilities and I commend them for this.

“I also urge them to redouble their efforts in ensuring that we keep up the good work of developing Nigeria’s digital economy,” he said.

The Executive Vice Chairman (of the NCC, Prof. Umar Dambatta, and the Director-General, National Information Technology Development Agency, Kashifu Inuwa, thanked the minister for the feat in project executions.

They also said the projects would help the government in its digital economy drive.

The eight projects inaugurated are Emergency Communications Centre (ECC), Makurdi, Benue State; Virtual Examination Centre, College of Education, Argungu, Kebbi State; and E-accessibility Centre, Alderstown Schools for the Deaf, Warri, Delta.

Others are: E-Health/Data Sharing Project, Leko Abdulrahman Hospital, Daura, Katsina State; Digital Economy Centre & E-Learning Facilities, Ogba Grammar Shool, Lagos State; and Digital Economy Centre & E-Learning Facilities, St Paul Secondary School, Eke, Enugu State.

Digital Economy Centre & E-Learning Facilities, Federal Character Commission, Abuja; E-Accessibility Centre, Bauchi State Orphans and Vulnerable Children School, Bauchi State, are also listed.

Continue Reading

Business

SERAP sues Buhari over alleged missing N11tn electricity fund

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has been dragged to court by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) for allegedly failing probe N11tn electricity fund said to missing.

The money, according to SERAP, was meant to provide regular electricity supply for the country since 1999, and it is suspected to have “been stolen, mismanaged or diverted into private pockets.”

In the suit number FHC/L/CS/1119/2022 filed last week at the Federal High Court, Lagos, SERAP sought for “an order of mandamus to direct and compel President Buhari to investigate how over N11 trillion meant to provide regular electricity supply has been allegedly squandered by governments since 1999.”

This is coming after it was reported that Nigeria’s electricity grid has collapsed at least three times within five months, and 130 times in seven years, plunging many households across the country into darkness.

 

 

Continue Reading

Auto

Toyota-Suzuki joint SUV coming in August, Africa listed

Published

on

The collaboration between Toyota and Suzuki is set to manifest in concrete terms as Toyota says it will start the production of a new SUV model developed by Suzuki at Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt. Ltd from August.

The Suzuki-developed SUV will come with mild and strong hybrid variants – made in India for both brands, multiple sources including motorauthority.com report.

The two companies are said to be planning to export the new model to markets outside India including Africa.

Toyota and Suzuki are promoting mutual supply of vehicles globally, which is one of the collaborations in their business partnership.
The two companies signed a memorandum of understanding for a business alliance in 2017. Since then, the two companies have been bringing together Toyota’s strength in electrification technologies and Suzuki’s strength in technologies for compact vehicles for joint collaboration in production and in the widespread popularization of electrified vehicles.
The powertrains of the new model to be on sale in India will be equipped with mild hybrid developed by Suzuki and strong hybrid developed by Toyota.
By bringing together strengths of both Toyota and Suzuki through the collaboration, the two companies say they will be able to provide a wide variety of vehicle electrification technologies to customers and contribute to the acceleration of electrification and the realization of a carbon-neutral society in India.

While Suzuki leads and understands the India market, Toyota brings hybrid tech to the table.

Maruti Suzuki India Limited and TKM will market the new model in India as Suzuki and Toyota models, respectively.

Continue Reading

Auto

Ford to end production of Focus in 2025

Published

on

Ford has confirmed that it will stop producing the Focus model in 2025, in a move that threatens the longer-term future of its Saarlouis, Germany plant that only makes that model.

Nigeria may not miss the exit of the Focus as it has not really been as popular as other Ford models such as the Escape, the Edge and Everest.

Ford however said that its plant in Saarlouis would continue to produce the Ford Focus passenger car, while the company is also evaluating options for future site concepts.
In Europe, Ford has emphasised the future role for electrified models – which includes its Cologne plant in Germany being a hub for EV production. It will build a new SUV based on VW’s MEB platform from 2023.
Ford also recently announced that its Valencia, Spain, plant would receive investment for making electric vehicles on a next-generation electric vehicle architecture.

 

Continue Reading

Trending