metro
FG responds to labour strike threat, says agreements being implemented
FG responds to labour strike threat, says agreements being implemented
The Federal Government on Friday responded to the threat issued by the organised labour to declare a nationwide strike in the next two weeks.
It said it had so far demonstrated good faith in implementing the agreement it had with the workers over cushioning the hardship from fuel subsidy removal.
Addressing a press conference in Abuja, Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, said President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration was tirelessly working to ensure that everything was done to address the needs and concerns of the nation.
She said, “We have shown good faith, government is committed to expedite full implementation of the MOU.
“This government acknowledges the challenges faced by Nigerians and has demonstrated sincerity in its ongoing negotiations with the trade unions”.
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) had issued a 14-day ultimatum to the government over the non-implementation of the 16-point agreement reached with the federal government on October 2, 2023.
In a statement jointly signed by NLC President, Joe Ajaero, and his counterpart in the TUC, Festus Osifoh, the two labour centres threatened that if government failed to honour its part of the understanding within 14 days, the workers would down tool from 23rd of February, 2024.
They said government’s failure to uphold its end of the bargain was deeply regrettable and unacceptable to the Working people and the citizenry.
Reacting to allegations by the labour movement, the minister said government had progressively implemented the Memorandum of Understanding reached with the unions and had kept its doors open for further engagement to ensure that everything was done to address the needs and concerns of the nation.
Onyejeocha said all the agreements with labour were not implementable at once, urging labour leaders to give the government more time.
“These agreements, all of them are not going to be done the same day. Some can’t be done in two, three or four months. Like the CNG, it is a process that’s ongoing, and I’ve just told Nigerians what the CNG group has been doing in the last four months.
“We’ve commenced deliveries on those agreements. We’ve been reaching out to the organised labour because the President is committed to these agreements. He has good faith, that’s why we don’t want anybody to shut down the economy at any time because it will affect everybody.
“It’s like you want to pull down the whole roof of a house, meanwhile, you’re still inside the roof. We’re not shying away from implementing the agreements we’ve entered with the organised labour,” Onyejeocha said.
She listed the progress being made: “For example, the N35,000 wage award agreed upon between the government and organised labour is currently being implemented.
“However, we have received complaints regarding non-implementation in some public sector organisations as well as the private sector. The ministry is actively addressing these issues to ensure compliance across all sectors.
“Two days ago, I mediated between the National Union of Civil Engineering Construction, Furniture and Wood Workers (NUCEFWW), Civil Engineering Senior Staff Association (CCESSA), the Federation of Construction Industries (FOCI) (Employers).
“Consequently, the parties have signed an agreement to resolve the issue.”
The minister also said, “Office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) has intervened in the Road Transport Employers Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) matter with the Lagos State Government.
“As a result, up to 80 per cent of the agreement with the RTEAN management has been fulfilled, and ongoing efforts are in place to complete the remaining process.”
She said government had inaugurated a 37-member tripartite committee on national minimum wage which was mandated to recommend a new national minimum wage for Nigerian workers, all in a bid to mitigate the hardship the Nigerian citizens are facing.
According to her, the organised labour has 12 members representing the working people in the committee.
In addition, Onyejeocha said government was actively implementing its plan to go green with the implementation of the Presidential CNG Initiative designed to alleviate the challenges arising from subsidy removal and transition Nigeria permanently to cheaper, safer and more reliable gas produced domestically for transport.
“In line with government’s ongoing commitment to improving the welfare of Nigerians, provisions have also been made for an initial 55,000 CNG conversion kits as part of the commencement of the auto gas conversion programme.
“Development of the state-of-the-art CNG conversion centres nationwide is also ongoing with the aim to deliver one million converted bi-fuel CNG/PMS vehicles to enable transporters and mass transit operators convert their vehicles that run on PMS to gas (which is forty to fifty per cent cheaper than PMS).
“Additionally, the government through the Ministry of Finance is procuring up to 11,500 CNG vehicles including buses and tricycles that will be rolled out in fulfilment of the President’s promise by financing them at concessionary rate, even as production and assembly is ongoing locally and will be delivered in the next few months.
“We shall also liaise with the NNPCL to ensure that the visitation to the refineries for on-the-spot assessment of our refineries is done without further delay,” she said.
The minister pleaded for understanding by the leadership of the labour movement, adding that negotiations are often a gradual process, with resolutions unfolding in stages.
She said the government was assuring Nigerians of its continued commitment to addressing labour concerns and fulfilling all agreements as we move forward together.
“The government would also like to assure the organised labour of its commitment to maintaining open and constructive communication with them to foster positive labour relations and guarantee a supportive working environment for all workers,
“The government will continue to leverage on the principles of social dialogue, valuing the input of our social partners, with the goal of creating a better Nigeria for all.
“We strongly urge the organised labour to continue demonstrating prudence in their decisions and actions as the government works exceedingly hard to address the challenges currently faced by the nation,” she said.
metro
Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community
Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community
Barely 24 hours after armed bandits attacked communities in Patigi Local Government Area and Edu Local Government Area, suspected terrorists on Sunday night carried out a fresh attack on Share, the headquarters of Ifelodun Local Government Area, forcing residents to flee for safety.
The attack reportedly occurred around 8:00 pm, when heavily armed gunmen stormed the town and began shooting indiscriminately, throwing the community into panic and confusion. Residents said the sustained gunfire lasted for a prolonged period, prompting many families to abandon their homes and seek refuge in neighbouring areas.
Eyewitnesses, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the assailants appeared to be on a targeted mission, allegedly searching for specific individuals. One resident claimed the gunmen were looking for a person identified as Zulu Alfa Dako, adding that the attackers entered the town from a nearby axis.
“Kidnappers have entered Share; everyone is running for safety,” a resident said. “They kept shooting endlessly and the whole town was thrown into chaos.”
READ ALSO:
- DSS Probes El-Rufai’s Claim of Toxic Chemical Import by Ribadu
- Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections
- Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
Another resident, overwhelmed by fear, said while the attackers targeted some individuals, it was still unclear whether anyone was abducted during the operation.
“The gunmen entered the town and caused havoc by shooting non-stop. I don’t know if anyone has been kidnapped yet,” the resident said.
Efforts to get immediate comments from the Kwara State Police Command spokesperson, SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, were unsuccessful as of press time.
However, the Kwara State Government later confirmed that the attackers were repelled by security forces. The Special Assistant on Communication to Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, Ibrahim Abdullateef, said combined security operatives swiftly responded to distress calls and engaged the gunmen.
“Local security sources have reported that bandits that were reportedly attacking Share community, Ifelodun LGA, have been successfully repelled by combined security forces,” Abdullateef said in an update.
He added that the exchange of gunfire lasted for about one hour, noting that no death or abduction has been officially recorded so far, though security agencies are still monitoring the situation.
The latest attack came against the backdrop of rising insecurity in Kwara State, following bandit raids on communities in Edu and Patigi LGAs, where four people were kidnapped and several others injured. The back-to-back attacks have heightened fear among residents and renewed calls for stronger security presence, improved intelligence gathering, and sustained patrols across vulnerable communities.
Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community
metro
DSS Probes El-Rufai’s Claim of Toxic Chemical Import by Ribadu
DSS Probes El-Rufai’s Claim of Toxic Chemical Import by Ribadu
Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, has formally reported former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, to the Department of State Services (DSS) over an allegation that the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) imported Thallium Sulphate, a toxic chemical, into Nigeria.
The allegation was referred to the DSS in a letter dated February 13, 2026, written on behalf of Ribadu by Brigadier-General O.M. Adesuyi. The letter acknowledged El-Rufai’s earlier correspondence seeking clarification on claims that ONSA procured about 10 kilograms of Thallium Sulphate, allegedly from a supplier in Poland.
According to the letter, the allegation has been formally handed over to the DSS for a comprehensive investigation, given the grave national security and public safety implications associated with toxic and tightly regulated chemical substances.
Adesuyi stated that El-Rufai and any of his associates with relevant information would be invited by the DSS to submit evidence, documents, or testimonies to support the claim.
READ ALSO:
- Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections
- Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
- MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation
“Your Excellency and other parties involved, who may possess relevant information relating to this claim, will be duly invited by the service to provide any evidence that may assist in an in-depth investigation, establishing the facts and ensuring due diligence,” the letter said.
The NSA, however, categorically denied the allegation, stressing that ONSA has neither procured nor initiated any process for the purchase of Thallium Sulphate and has no intention of doing so.
The controversy began after El-Rufai raised public alarm, accusing Ribadu of importing a dangerous toxic substance into the country. In a letter dated January 30, 2026, El-Rufai said he was writing “as a concerned citizen” to seek clarification over information allegedly available to opposition political leaders regarding the procurement.
He argued that thallium salts are highly poisonous and strictly controlled worldwide, adding that transparency was necessary to protect public trust, democratic accountability, and national safety.
El-Rufai had also claimed during a television interview that the NSA’s phone had been tapped and that Ribadu was listening to his conversations—an allegation that further escalated political tension around the issue.
Security analysts say the DSS probe will be crucial in determining whether the claim has any factual basis or amounts to a false security alarm capable of undermining public confidence and national stability. As of the time of filing this report, the DSS has not issued an official statement, while El-Rufai has yet to publicly respond to the referral of his allegation for investigation.
DSS Probes El-Rufai’s Claim of Toxic Chemical Import by Ribadu
metro
Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother
Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother
In a development that has sparked widespread conversation across Nigeria’s religious and political space, Primate Elijah Ayodele has built and commissioned a new mosque in Lagos in honour of Chief Abibatu Mogaji, the late mother of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
The prominent cleric, who leads the INRI Evangelical Spiritual Church, unveiled the mosque during his annual thanksgiving programme held in Oke-Afa, Isolo, describing the project as a fulfillment of what he called a divine instruction.
According to Ayodele, the decision to construct the mosque was not politically motivated but rooted in spiritual obedience. He stressed that the gesture was not aimed at gaining favour from the presidency or securing political influence, but rather to promote religious harmony and unity in Nigeria. “I built the mosque because God directed me to do so,” the cleric reportedly said at the commissioning ceremony.
READ ALSO:
- Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections
- Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
- MACBAN Rejects Terrorism Allegations, Warns Against Stigmatisation
Ayodele explained that the newly completed mosque would be fully handed over to Muslim leaders and the local Islamic community for administration. He stated that neither he nor his church would be involved in its management, reinforcing his claim that the project was purely an act of faith and interreligious goodwill. Originally, the mosque was said to have been planned under a different name, but Ayodele disclosed that he later renamed it in honour of Tinubu’s mother following what he described as further divine direction. Chief Abibatu Mogaji, a respected community leader during her lifetime, remains a significant figure in Lagos political history due to her influence and grassroots mobilisation efforts.
The commissioning event drew attendance from religious leaders, traditional rulers, and political representatives, reflecting the broader significance of the gesture. Observers described the commissioning as a rare example of Christian–Muslim interfaith collaboration, particularly in a country where religious identity often intersects with politics. Supporters say the act underscores the importance of peaceful coexistence and tolerance between faiths, while critics have questioned the timing and broader implications of the move within Nigeria’s political climate.
Nonetheless, Ayodele maintained that the mosque stands as a symbol of unity and obedience to divine guidance, rather than a calculated political gesture. The development has since generated conversations online, with many Nigerians debating its spiritual, social and political dimensions.
Christian Cleric Builds Mosque in Honour of Tinubu’s Mother
-
Education20 hours agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News12 hours agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro2 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
metro2 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
News22 hours agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro3 days agoCourt Orders DIA to Produce Cleric Accused of Coup Plot by February 18
-
metro22 hours agoUS Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency With Ammunition, Troop
-
metro22 hours agoArgungu Festival 2026 Highlights Peace, Stability, Economic Growth — Tinubu


