metro
‘Five’ shot dead as Imo boils again

At least five people have been killed in Anara, Isiala Mbano Local Government Area of Imo State.
Gunmen were said to have attacked the community on Tuesday night.
A resident simply identified as Damian told our correspondent that many people could not sleep in the community as sounds of gunshot rend the air for a while.
He said, “In fact throughout the night, we had our hearts in our mouth as sporadic gunshots, not heard before, took over our environment. As I am talking to you now, not even a chicken is outside.”
READ ALSO:
- Sexual stimulants: Men inevitable journey to their early graves
- Delta drunk man sleeps off after raping 24-year-old lady at gunpoint, arrested
- BREAKING: Senate approves Buhari’s External Borrowing
Another resident earlier on Wednesday, some persons went round the community, asking people to observe the sit-at-home order of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).
IPOB has asked South East residents to remain indoors any time its leader, Nnamdi Kanu, is arraigned in court.
Kanu, who is standing trial, is being expected to be arraigned in court on Wednesday.
When contacted over the fresh Imo incident, Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Mike Abattam, asked our correspondent to call back because he was at a meeting.
Daily Trust
metro
Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely

Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely
Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the governor of Lagos, said repair works on the Independence Bridge will continue.
Sanwo-Olu also apologised to residents for the hours-long gridlock experienced due to the rehabilitation of the bridge.
Commuters and motorists spent hours in traffic on April 2 due to the closure of the bridge in the Victoria Island area.
Following public outcry, David Umahi, minister of works, ordered the immediate reopening of the bridge.
Speaking on Thursday during the inspection of the bridge, Sanwo-Olu said the state takes full responsibility for the gridlock.
The governor noted that the repair is for the good of the city, as the bridge — which is one of the oldest in the country — had begun to fail.
He urged residents to support the state government as there is never a good time to carry out road repairs.
“First, I think what is appropriate is to tender apology to all our citizens and to all Lagosians for a very difficult heinous traffic that we experienced in the last 24 hours within the city and the Island of Lagos,” Sanwo-Olu said.
READ ALSO:
- Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos
- Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt
- Oyo PDP chieftain Adeojo dies, Makinde mourns
“There is never a best time to solve a difficult problem like this. Any time you do it, there would be discomfort. Let’s bite the bullet and come out of this better.
“I think the apology is important so that we can take full responsibility as government both at the national and subnational level, for taking our citizens through an unfortunate incident.
“It was all for a good cause, it is all to avert future disaster waiting to happen. You know how life is — there is never a best time for you to do all you want to do, there will always be challenges even if you think it is the best time.
“This contract has been signed over three years ago; our duty is to preserve the integrity of the Independence Bridge — which is like one of the oldest bridges in the country.”
The governor added that traffic will be managed and diverted during the rehabilitation.
“If you don’t have business to do in Victoria Island in the next two to three weeks, conduct your business via social media, telephone, zoom meetings, online meetings, let’s plan ahead,” he said.
“If you don’t need to come and visit somebody here, you don’t have to come.
“You are going to see a lot of LASTMA officers on the road, we are calling them from other parts of the city to come here.”
Sanwo-Olu also appealed to residents not to drive against traffic or drive recklessly during the rehabilitation period.
Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely
metro
Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos

Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos
The Lagos State Police Command has taken a Chinese national into custody for allegedly affixing a counterfeit diplomatic number plate to his vehicle while visiting the United States Embassy in Victoria Island.
The suspect, identified as 40-year-old Lei Lu, was arrested on April 3, 2025, following a tip-off from a concerned citizen.
Police sources say the report came in around 12:17 p.m., shortly after the man was spotted at the embassy premises earlier that morning.
READ ALSO:
- Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt
- Oyo PDP chieftain Adeojo dies, Makinde mourns
- Bayelsa govt gets court order to stop pro-Wike rally
Responding swiftly, detectives from the command arrived at the scene and detained the individual. His vehicle, displaying the fraudulent plate marked 138-CD-46—typically reserved for British diplomatic missions—was also seized.
During questioning, Lu reportedly failed to produce any documentation authorizing the use of the diplomatic tag. Officers documented the evidence, including photographic records of the plate and vehicle.
Authorities say an investigation is underway to uncover the reason behind the impersonation and assess any potential threats posed by the act.
Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos
metro
Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt

Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt
Senate President Godswill Akpabio has said he will take legal action against Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan over claims that he planned to have her killed.
In a statement released on Friday by his media aide, Eseme Eyiboh, Akpabio said he would not be distracted by what he called a campaign of lies and misinformation.
“As a statesman devoted to national unity and democratic values, I will not be distracted by malicious falsehoods or inflammatory rhetoric,” the statement quoted.
Eyiboh said official letters are being prepared for both Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan and former Senator Elisha Abbo. The letters demand public apologies, retractions, and compensation for damage to Akpabio’s reputation.
Recall that Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan during an event in Kogi State on April 1, 2025 claimed that Akpabio hired former Governor Yahaya Bello to assassinate her.
READ ALSO:
- Oyo PDP chieftain Adeojo dies, Makinde mourns
- Bayelsa govt gets court order to stop pro-Wike rally
- Outgone Corps members will get minimum allowance arrears – NYSC
Reacting, Eyiboh reminded the public that Senator Natasha had made similar accusations in the past, including ones she later withdrew without explanation.
“Her recurring pattern of false accusations, including similar claims in 2019 and 2023 against other public figures, reveals a troubling exploitation of victimhood narratives for personal and political gain,” it added.
The statement also addressed comments made by former Senator Elisha Abbo during an interview on April 2, where he accused Akpabio of influencing the court to remove him from office. Eyiboh said Abbo had already apologized in 2023 for making similar claims, admitting that they were based on false assumptions.
“His new claims regarding being denied entitlements are also categorically false. Senate entitlements are processed administratively and not at the discretion of the Senate President,” the statement said.
Eyiboh suggested the timing of these accusations may be politically motivated, with the aim of damaging the image of the Senate and its leadership.
“These individuals, possibly backed by hidden interests, appear united in a desperate attempt to undermine the Senate and its leadership,” he said.
Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt
-
metro2 days ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
metro1 day ago
Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport
-
International1 day ago
Trump slams Nigeria with high tariff in shocking trade crackdown
-
metro1 day ago
Updated: Notorious bandit leader Bello Turji goes berserk, kills 12 for Eid
-
metro2 days ago
Edo Gov Okpebholo wins round one as tribunal upholds his election
-
metro2 days ago
Police hunt for last suspect in LASU graduate killing
-
metro1 day ago
South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail
-
Business1 day ago
More heads to roll in NNPCL, subsidiaries as Ojulari assumes office